Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Destrius
siskataya
I tried gloves, but found I much prefer just taping my hands with homemade "hooks" made out of tape. Gives me the grip I need without making my hands sweaty, and prevents callous tears! biggrin
Ooooh, pictures please. I'm interested in what you mean by "hooks". surprised

@OP: I used to use a pair and at first it made a pretty big difference but ever since I lost them, I've been lifting without them. whee

Thanks for the reply! These grips are called "hooks" because you make the athletic tape hook around your fingers. The best video I've found on how to make these is here: How to Wrap Hands for Pull-Ups (making Hooks)

I make three hooks and tape them down to my hands. Keeps my callouses from tearing and gives me the grip I need without making my hands sweaty. Best part is they are cheap and easy to make and you can always have a fresh supply! biggrin

Hope this is helpful!
Sisky
Wrist wraps for some pressing movements after a certain range, but that's it. My gym allows chalk so that's what I use to get past sweaty-hands.

I used to use gloves, but then it ended up that I had a huge gap between grip strength and actually being able to do certain movements to a full potential rep range.

Champion

siskataya
Thanks for the reply! These grips are called "hooks" because you make the athletic tape hook around your fingers. The best video I've found on how to make these is here: How to Wrap Hands for Pull-Ups (making Hooks)

I make three hooks and tape them down to my hands. Keeps my callouses from tearing and gives me the grip I need without making my hands sweaty. Best part is they are cheap and easy to make and you can always have a fresh supply! biggrin

Hope this is helpful!
Sisky
Thanks so much!! heart

I'm definitely going to have to give this a try! blaugh
Gloves are gay, use chalk.
I wore gloves under the first year I started lifting, but it's been a while. I haven't used gloves for over 2 years now, only powdered magnesium at the most.

However, I do use wraps when doing shrugs. This being because my grip strength isn't enough to help me hold the barbell when shrugging.
LOL @ self crying

I bought fingerless gloves the other day because the barbell literally tore my calluses out. I don't think the type I bought helps with my grip, though. It just protects my skin.

2,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Yes, i use gloves when i lift. My skin on the hands start to rip because i grip way to tight of all the sweating i do.

Fashionable Smoker

No because it just feels weird. I am already very used to not using gloves.

Stone-cold Bloodsucker

14,150 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Battle Hardened 150
Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I have to wear something with a bit of support now, as my thumbs are prone to strains/sprains due to my joints and tendons being "out of alignment". I am actually meeting with a rehab therapist to learn how to properly wrap my problem areas and strengthen my muscles.

I have very sweaty hands so I need something to help minimize slipping. I almost hurt myself once due to my sweaty palms (I was working with a kettle-ball and it almost slipped out of my hands onto my foot) so I do need something to minimize the chances of slipping.
Our gym doesn't allow powders, even in the locker rooms, so chalk and the like are out of the question.

Dangerous Poster

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
I used to not use gloves because i found it made it harder for me personally to grip the equipment. But once i got to higher weights, the gloves did help.

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
Sakura Rosina
I bought a pair of black, fingerless gloves at the store and was able to use them last week. What a difference they made! I am able to actually keep a grip on equipment since my hands sweat a lot. There is also less chance of picking up tiny, nasty germs (although I still wipe everything down and sanitize my hands).

So do you use gloves or wraps when weight lifting? Do you find they help more than when you didn't use them?

And as an added note, I'm currently in the process of brightening my gloves with puff paint. 3nodding

I like to use gloves when I'm working with dumbbells because the rough handles give me calluses. However when deadlifting for example the gloves actually make it harder for you because it increases the diameter of the bar which taxes your grip.

Friendly Seeker

I don't like to use them because it makes deadlifting harder for me.
Powder helps with the sweat.
I don't use gloves. My hands are pretty calloused, they look quite gross actually. Haha
The only thing I do is tape my wrists, I used to just tape them when on a bag, but I leave them on while working out now because I have weak wrists and it helps them from snapping & rolling back.

Good luck finding what's best for you!

Shadowy Prophet

Ryuto Nagi

I don't like to use them because it makes deadlifting harder for me.
Powder helps with the sweat.

Agreed. I try to do my deadlifts barehanded and barefoot. For everything else though, I have gloves on.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff