Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey guys. So I've been lifting weights. Not as heavy as I would like. Sadly, my body can't still take over 15. I mean, I could but it always tends to back-fire.

How could I change this and move up to 20-25+? Also, I'm not into very defined muscle. I just want bigger arms.

NOTE: my arms are not naturally skinny or they're not fat. They just have good potential. Just thought of mentioning that.
Habiel
Hey guys. So I've been lifting weights. Not as heavy as I would like. Sadly, my body can't still take over 15. I mean, I could but it always tends to back-fire.

How could I change this and move up to 20-25+? Also, I'm not into very defined muscle. I just want bigger arms.

NOTE: my arms are not naturally skinny or they're not fat. They just have good potential. Just thought of mentioning that.

If it's definition and size that you want, focus on mind-muscle connection so you get the most out of what little weight you can manage. Once you can recruit your biceps and triceps at will while barely bending your elbows, you've established it. Otherwise, momentum may be robbing your arms of some work.

Also, I hope you are doing more than just curls/extensions for biceps/triceps. Do (assisted if needed) pull-ups and rows before curls for biceps and remember to do curls with hands in hammer position and underhand position to hit the biceps from all angles. You need to get both angles to maximize bicep growth.

As for triceps, these are very important for arm circumference, as triceps are a lot thicker than biceps on your arms. Do heavy (as in you can barely manage 4-8 reps per set) benching, overhead pressing, and dips with some overhand extensions to hit triceps from all angles.

Oh yes, try to train biceps and triceps on different days, as they are connected to very different movements. Incorporate these ideas with your current routine and don't switch up exercises for half a year or so and you will see results. Time, rest, and food are vital in increasing muscle mass.
Fryderyk Chopin
Habiel

If it's definition and size that you want, focus on mind-muscle connection so you get the most out of what little weight you can manage. Once you can recruit your biceps and triceps at will while barely bending your elbows, you've established it. Otherwise, momentum may be robbing your arms of some work.

Also, I hope you are doing more than just curls/extensions for biceps/triceps. Do (assisted if needed) pull-ups and rows before curls for biceps and remember to do curls with hands in hammer position and underhand position to hit the biceps from all angles. You need to get both angles to maximize bicep growth.

As for triceps, these are very important for arm circumference, as triceps are a lot thicker than biceps on your arms. Do heavy (as in you can barely manage 4-8 reps per set) benching, overhead pressing, and dips with some overhand extensions to hit triceps from all angles.

Oh yes, try to train biceps and triceps on different days, as they are connected to very different movements. Incorporate these ideas with your current routine and don't switch up exercises for half a year or so and you will see results. Time, rest, and food are vital in increasing muscle mass.

Beautifully said. Try that and definitely pay attention to the triceps....a highly neglected group. Biceps are nothing without triceps. It's also great to work your pecs as well as your upper back as well. Try arm/upperbody day, and then a good lower body day. Do NOT work out one group EVERY day. Keep cardio up, planks are a wonder, and less weight more reps for TONE. More weight less reps for STRENGTH.

This is from a few months of being trained by my trainer. I used to be 180, now i'm around 156. You can do it. smile
Harbinger Of Inferno
Fryderyk Chopin
Habiel

Beautifully said. Try that and definitely pay attention to the triceps....a highly neglected group. Biceps are nothing without triceps. It's also great to work your pecs as well as your upper back as well. Try arm/upperbody day, and then a good lower body day. Do NOT work out one group EVERY day. Keep cardio up, planks are a wonder, and less weight more reps for TONE. More weight less reps for STRENGTH.

This is from a few months of being trained by my trainer. I used to be 180, now i'm around 156. You can do it. smile

Great advice up there too.

However, without a reasonable strength base, it's very hard to put on any reasonable amount of muscle on with higher reps and OP needs some serious improvements in strength from what he said.

If OP wants to fit in more work in a day's training for specific body parts, Push/Pull for upper body is a good decision, as it intuitively splits upper body days into a chest/tricep day and a back/bicep day, allowing him to focus better. I personally had difficulty really fine-tuning my upper body work when I tried to fit them all in one day. For instance, it's a lot harder to get shoulders to grow than to get glutes(its lower body counterpart) to do the same, which means it makes more sense to do a little more upper body work than lower body.

By no means eliminate lower body work however, as it is integral to overall body growth and heavy compound leg work seem to encourage androgen production, some say. Bodies don't like to grow when specific parts are lagging strongly, I find.

If you can train on five or more days, a 3-day split (push/pull/legs) would be excellent, with one or day of rest between each three day "cycle".
Fryderyk Chopin
Harbinger Of Inferno
Fryderyk Chopin
Habiel

Great advice up there too.

However, without a reasonable strength base, it's very hard to put on any reasonable amount of muscle on with higher reps and OP needs some serious improvements in strength from what he said.

If OP wants to fit in more work in a day's training for specific body parts, Push/Pull for upper body is a good decision, as it intuitively splits upper body days into a chest/tricep day and a back/bicep day, allowing him to focus better. I personally had difficulty really fine-tuning my upper body work when I tried to fit them all in one day. For instance, it's a lot harder to get shoulders to grow than to get glutes(its lower body counterpart) to do the same, which means it makes more sense to do a little more upper body work than lower body.

By no means eliminate lower body work however, as it is integral to overall body growth and heavy compound leg work seem to encourage androgen production, some say. Bodies don't like to grow when specific parts are lagging strongly, I find.

If you can train on five or more days, a 3-day split (push/pull/legs) would be excellent, with one or day of rest between each three day "cycle".

Very well said. I just don't want the OP to tack on TOO much weight too fast. Lactic acid buildup is bad enough, but muscle strain will set you back tremendously. I am a huge fan of the bench press, lat pulldown, and arm curls, among other things i'm missing right now. I prefer free weights rather then machines. Machines have low weights. But if OP is starting that low, it's best to stick with mostly machines for now.

Fashionable Gaian

11,500 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Consumer 100
Biceps is a very small and weak muscle group compared to triceps.
The easiest way to achieve bigass arms is to work the hell out of triceps.

Making biceps "pop" in that cool macho way is very much determined by genes(my personal opinion). I know guys who have worked out most parts of their life - yet their biceps don't pop - even though they're "big".
I've never had to spend much time on mine though(nor does anyone else in my family) - I actually try not to overdo it even though I love to push myself to the limit.
So yeah, try not to get a fix idea that biceps is the only thing that counts.

A tip though is to use a barbell for biceps curls - I find it much easier to concentrate and "focus" on technique with it - I basically use much more weights then than I do with free weights when I workout.

Lunatic

13,550 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Contributor 150
What would be good is to focus on all the muscles on the arm, you tend to them all and you gain better benefits.

When training you need to mix things up a bit in order to build mass as in training techniques.

Going from 15 to 25 is a simple jump if anything:

Best reccomendation is taking 5-8lbs in free weights and do 100 curls with each arm. Concentrate and go slow keep your arm straight and keep focused. When executing the motion lightly flex before going back to the starting position.

Then other days do a set of 25 with the same weights, take a break, do another set, then do as many as you can with a slightly heavier weight ( ex. if your doing 10lbs try 15lbs) once you do as many as you can with that set, go to a 5lb weight and again do as many as possible. Your biceps will hate you in the morning but you will enjoy the later benefits. ;3

There are a multitude of exercises that can be done to tend to the various muscles in the arm but if anything if working the bicep - tend to the tricep and other muscles as well.... most have said it from what I see in the above responces. xD
Habiel

can't take over 15 what? pounds, kilos, reps?

Skullcrushers and pushdowns are my secret to large arms.
Viking Josh
Habiel

15 pounds.

Thanks for the tip. Sadly all I have to work with are dumbbells. From/to: 10 - 15 - 20 - 25 - 30
Habiel
Viking Josh
Habiel

15 pounds.

Thanks for the tip. Sadly all I have to work with are dumbbells. From/to: 10 - 15 - 20 - 25 - 30

Join a real gym, and start lifting heavier weights. At first you won't be able to go real heavy or do lots of reps, but keep your form and make steady progression. I started out pretty scrawny at 6' 140lbs, now i'm 185lbs and pretty lean(after going on a cut when I bulked up to 200lbs). Last time I checked I had 17in guns, and that was a quite a few months ago.

When I first started out my pushdowns were at 30lbs max, now its over 90lbs. Skullcrushers now are over 100lbs.

Shy Genius

1,700 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
Squats and curls bro.

Omnipresent Attendee

12,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Tycoon 200
hit biceps from different angles, put the dumbbells close together and curl , far apart, concentration curls, and hammer curls

tris: dips till failure, benching, and tri extensions.

shoulder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsDPUJWInw

its all about angles

Dangerous Poster

7,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Cant take over 15? 15 what? 15 lb dumbbells?

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
Habiel

If you JUST want bigger arms for the sake of them being bigger, then you want to focus on your triceps. Your triceps are twice as big as your biceps and make up the majority of the mass of your arm, so you should work those twice as much as your biceps. Try doing compound movements such as bench presses, dips, and push presses to hit the triceps.
One thing people don't realize is that we are all different. The male body more than the female body responds differently to everything really.

You need to find out if you are Torso dominant or Limb dominant. This means that either your pack on size easily on your back and chest or on your arms. Most are one or the other. You see some guys with HUGE arms but they struggle to get that v-shaped back and ripped chest, and then you see the big lat dude with a huge chest but has small arms.

From there, you can plan your workouts accordingly. If you are torso dominant, you may want to train your arms twice a week. And vice versa. So early in the weekm do chest/tris back/bis OR chest/bis back/bis(whatever you prefer) and later in the week just have a strictly arm day.

Training them twice will surely get you more results.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff