Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Dabbler

4,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
I've been working out for about 5 years now and about 2 1/2 years ago I stopped going to the gym and started doing bodyweight strength training instead. It wasn't well researched when I started but its since been getting a lot of press, so I'm wondering what other people think about it. I've been doing it for two years and I'm around 180 lbs. and 6% body fat.

Also, nutrition. Does anyone use the Paleo diet? I have some friends who swear by it, but I have a different system. No grains for breakfast, small snacks every few hours, a little bit of healthy fats before bed.

Anyone else do something similar to this?

Prophet

Eh Paleo. Whatever. T-Nation has pretty much taken my stance on it. There seems to be a lot of "common sense" behind it, but at the same, no actual scientific studies have backed it as being any better for you as compared to a person eating "non-paleo" food if the macronutrient rations were the same and the calorie surplus/deficit were the same. Though I'm on IF, so I'm already pretty weird.

Bodyweight training has its place. I'm a gymnast as well as a bodybuilder and I have to train my bodyweight skills to keep them proficient. However, different people's bodies react differently to external stresors and stimuli. I have a really good friend who is also a gymnastics coach (albeit at a different gym) who trains mostly with bodyweight stuff and he is a ******** monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZuxcbB_nIh4

But then you also have someone like Jujimufu who can do mostly lifting with just proficiency checks on bw skills and come out like a badass.

So honestly man, it all comes down to your body, what your goals are, and how it reacts to the training you do.

My two cents.

Devout Lover

14,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Lots of people do this. It's becoming trendy in fitness.

Quotable Dabbler

4,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
Immortal Traceur
snip

Yeah I feel you. A lot of it is in your technique, but I think that how explosive you are with your workouts, how often you vary them, and how much rest you take has a lot to do with it. There's a lot of those 15min workouts going around that are all about explosiveness and little rest. I've never tried them but a couple of guys I know have and they say that they give quite a good burn. 3nodding

Devout Lover

14,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Adesto
Immortal Traceur
snip

Yeah I feel you. A lot of it is in your technique, but I think that how explosive you are with your workouts, how often you vary them, and how much rest you take has a lot to do with it. There's a lot of those 15min workouts going around that are all about explosiveness and little rest. I've never tried them but a couple of guys I know have and they say that they give quite a good burn. 3nodding
They make you sweat like crazy. The only downside is that they become more of a cardio type workout than for strength. But if you're short on time what will you lose?
>180lbs and 6% bf

How bout some proof.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas