Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
I heard they help aid in soreness after a heavy lift day... especially with legs. I've noticed there's different types... with different patterns and stuff. I drink cellmass by BSN supps to help with all that acid buildup.. but needless to say... i'm still feeling that soreness for days afterwards. My swagger walk isn't getting any better gonk

but for real though.. any thoughts? have you used them? what kind do you use? when do you use it?

Gracious Raider

I've never used foam rollers, but I stretch for a long time after and can at least function the next day. an easy like 2 mile jog the next day I feel helps work them out a bit, get them moving and get the soreness out.

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
Handsome Dynamite
I've never used foam rollers, but I stretch for a long time after and can at least function the next day. an easy like 2 mile jog the next day I feel helps work them out a bit, get them moving and get the soreness out.

yeah, i usually try to cycle or jog a little right after my workout and then the next day i cycle a bit too to keep things moving.. its still a bit annoying.
I use this foamroller:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040EGNIU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And it works reasonably well. You can find a lot of tutorials in Youtube on how to use them. Elliot Hulse uses the same kind of roller as I do, and it works really well. Be forewarned though: it does not feel good when you hit those deep trigger points, especially where you're tight. I about lost my s**t when I rolled my hip flexors for that exact reason because it felt awful, but it's helped me a lot in building myself back up after a long break from athletic endeavors.

Elder

They're a bit of heaven if you're feeling really tense.

Which one really depends on the person though, my body is fairly dense so I use a solid foam roller I think it cost like $20 from walmart, nothing fancy. They do make some rather soft ones though and ones like you said that have patterns meant to get in the nooks and crannies as it were. Best suggestion would be just to take one out of the box and take it for a roll, just don't go spending your life savings on one, it's just a tube of foam.

Darth Khaleesi's Husband

OG Gatekeeper

If you're going to buy a foam roller, go all out. Self myofascial release is the best thing to do pre and post workout. Make all kinds of mobility gains.

I suggest you buy this.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Foam rolling is great. Personally I use a thick piece of PVC pipe which does the trick maybe even better than a foam roll for a fraction of the cost.

Malevolent Tactician

7,475 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
I've heard of kickboxers using rolling pins to condition their lower legs for impact.

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
@Wolfdude87 ... im digging that PVC pipe idea.

thanks to all of you! i'll definitely invest in one i think.

Elder

leyg0nz
@Wolfdude87 ... im digging that PVC pipe idea.

thanks to all of you! i'll definitely invest in one i think.
Just be ready for the pain, the more dense the material, the more resistance being applied to break up the muscle.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff