Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
So yesterday was my first day of serious weightlifting.

My legs are sore from the dead lifts!

And my arms are sore from almost everything else!

Any tips on combating soreness?

Additionally, I am having trouble doing squats. Any tips?

I'm super new at this.

Thanks, y'all!

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
The idea in weight lifting is to focus on one body part a day so you aren't sore all over, and so you can work out more body parts the following days. One day for arms, one day for abs, one day for legs, etc. If you work everything out one day, you have to spend a few days recovering before you can work out anything else... making the entire process take much longer than it should. You grow muscles from breaking down the ones you already have and having them regenerate stronger over time.

I find taking warm baths helps combat soreness. I also use icyhot or Bengay... it works to an extent. There's not going to be much relief you can get for soreness since it' the lactic acid breaking down your muscles, the best thing you can do is just pull through it.

The easiest way to do squats is to keep your back straight and bend your knees while sticking your butt out. How I was taught to weightlift with this particular pose was to rest the bar on the back of my neck and both my shoulders as I bend my knees up and down.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Pirate Captain Sushi
The idea in weight lifting is to focus on one body part a day so you aren't sore all over, and so you can work out more body parts the following days. One day for arms, one day for abs, one day for legs, etc. If you work everything out one day, you have to spend a few days recovering before you can work out anything else... making the entire process take much longer than it should. You grow muscles from breaking down the ones you already have and having them regenerate stronger over time.

I find taking warm baths helps combat soreness. I also use icyhot or Bengay... it works to an extent. There's not going to be much relief you can get for soreness since it' the lactic acid breaking down your muscles, the best thing you can do is just pull through it.

The easiest way to do squats is to keep your back straight and bend your knees while sticking your butt out. How I was taught to weightlift with this particular pose was to rest the bar on the back of my neck and both my shoulders as I bend my knees up and down.
mmmmm this makes sense.

I was thinking about doing weights like two days out of the week and doing cardio the other three days I go to the gym.

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
Yeata Zi
Pirate Captain Sushi

mmmmm this makes sense.

I was thinking about doing weights like two days out of the week and doing cardio the other three days I go to the gym.

That's a respectable regime, but also keep in mind muscles that go longer than 15 days without exercise tend to go back to being flabby.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Pirate Captain Sushi
Yeata Zi
Pirate Captain Sushi

mmmmm this makes sense.

That's a respectable regime, but also keep in mind muscles that go longer than 15 days without exercise tend to go back to being flabby.
all this exercise stuff is crazy to remember XD I'll keep that in mind.
Quit trying to "combat" the soreness and embrace it. That soreness means your body is getting exactly the workout it needs to become stronger. If you're not sore then you are making exactly "Zero" progress. If you're not sore then you need to increase your workout.

What you could do to better manage your soreness is separate your workout into different days. I say this because it sounds like you just worked every muscle group in one day. Instead try separating it into the following:

Monday - Chest/Triceps
Tuesday - Back (You will inadvertently work out your biceps like this as well as a secondary)
Wednesday - Abs/Lower Back
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Biceps/shoulders

Take a break on Saturday/Sunday or toss in whatever workout you want, and repeat.

Drink a lot of water. I drink a gallon a day myself. Eat foods high in protein to maximize muscle repair and growth.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Yeata Zi
So yesterday was my first day of serious weightlifting.

My legs are sore from the dead lifts!

Mwahahahaha! Yep. That's the b***h about getting started. 3nodding

Quote:
And my arms are sore from almost everything else!

Any tips on combating soreness?

Take a nice, hot soak in a bath, with epsom salt. It'll reduce the soreness, somewhat.

Other than that, just take it easier for a few days, until your body can heal from the soreness. Then go hot and heavy again. Eventually (and it shouldn't take long), you'll get to where you can go full force, without much, if any, soreness.

As it was explained to me, the soreness is caused by lactic acid. The body's muscles produce it as a biproduct, and when you hit the weights really good...you tear those muscles, slightly (that's how it all works. You tear the muscle, it repairs itself, slightly bigger and stronger), and the lactic acid leaks out, causing soreness. If you keep at it really well, the body doesn't have a chance to build up the lactic acid, so there's no soreness.

Quote:
Additionally, I am having trouble doing squats. Any tips?

Lower the weights, to a level where you can comfortably handle it. People get the wrong impression about weight lifting. The trick isn't to severely overwork yourself. You gotta start low, and build yourself up. If you are struggling before rep number 7, you're overdoing it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff