Welcome to Gaia! ::

In a relationship with Cyberweasel89

Sweet Mage

26,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
thisduderighthere
you get way too worked up about nothing.

are you really this pissed off about it? why?

The reasons why people "get pissed off" about Twilight is that...
It glorifies an abusive relationship
Glorifies ***** and child grooming
Horrible writing
Horrible character development
Two dimensional characters
"Vampires" that are way more like fairies than vampires
"Werewolves" that aren't really werewolves
It contradicts itself
And Meyer is unprofessional and childish

Lonely Phantom

Alexander J Luthor
Revival of Longcat
did you realized that

Edward is played as a stereotypical Douche

Jacob is play as a stereotypical "nice guy"

??????

Naaaah, the nice guys I know will go out of their way to be nice. Jacob turns into another douche the second he goes wolf.

THIS DESERVES A STANDING OVATION. Jacob was totally cool until he turned into a pissbag when he changed into a wolf. He literally was being a gigantic 4 year old just like Edward.

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
misophobic
THIS DESERVES A STANDING OVATION. Jacob was totally cool until he turned into a pissbag when he changed into a wolf. He literally was being a gigantic 4 year old just like Edward.

Yeah, it's odd that all the supernatural characters (with a few exceptions), who we are supposed to like, are all incredibly toxic douches.

Click. Click. Boom.User Image
Renesme (I'm assuming it's Bella's hellspawn you were referring to in the OP when the screaming began in all caps. Correct me if I'm wrong) is different from the immortal children. Vampires are incapable of change. The immortal children are children who were turned into vampires at an age where they don't understand right from wrong. Incapable of maturing, they go on huge bloody rampages, never fully understanding what they are doing beyond "I'm hungry. This is food now.". Dhampyrs like Renesme (I don't think Meyer knew dhampyrs existed in mythology already when she wrote her, but that's what they essentially are) are born from a vampire man and human woman and already have the maturity and intelligence of an adult at the time of their birth so they're able to control themselves better.

This is what's supposed to be canon anyway. Meyer often contradicts her own canon and has many plot holes about vampires and her hybrids in her actual writing.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kairi Nightingale
Renesme (I'm assuming it's Bella's hellspawn you were referring to in the OP when the screaming began in all caps. Correct me if I'm wrong) is different from the immortal children. Vampires are incapable of change. The immortal children are children who were turned into vampires at an age where they don't understand right from wrong. Incapable of maturing, they go on huge bloody rampages, never fully understanding what they are doing beyond "I'm hungry. This is food now.". Dhampyrs like Renesme (I don't think Meyer knew dhampyrs existed in mythology already when she wrote her, but that's what they essentially are) are born from a vampire man and human woman and already have the maturity and intelligence of an adult at the time of their birth so they're able to control themselves better.

This is what's supposed to be canon anyway. Meyer often contradicts her own canon and has many plot holes about vampires and her hybrids in her actual writing.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, though. If these small children are forever trapped, then it's only logical that the Cullens would be, too. Edward and Alice, both in the throes of puberty, would be slaves to their emotions at least some of the time, and there would be none of this "beyond his years" bullshit. If they're capable of learning unreal amounts of knowledge, then so should these children. At worst they'd be tiny sociopaths who would throw large temper tantrums every now and then.
Alexander J Luthor
Kairi Nightingale

That's exactly what I'm talking about, though. If these small children are forever trapped, then it's only logical that the Cullens would be, too. Edward and Alice, both in the throes of puberty, would be slaves to their emotions at least some of the time, and there would be none of this "beyond his years" bullshit. If they're capable of learning unreal amounts of knowledge, then so should these children. At worst they'd be tiny sociopaths who would throw large temper tantrums every now and then.

What are you talking about? The Cullens are the heroes! Of course any rules that would result in negative or unappealing consequences on their character don't apply to them. xd

In a more serious tone, one might be able to argue that Edward could've been mature for his age when he was human in terms of behavior but that wouldn't explain the lack of raging hormones (excluding Breaking Dawn, where Bella and Edward go at quite frequently). Honestly, it could also be that Meyer is really bad at conveying romantic or aroused feelings in general. Edward IS the love interest, so she purposefully wrote him as mature. Jacob acted his age at the beginning, but like others mentioned already, he buffed up into a douchebag once Meyer decided to make him a love interest and his pov section in Breaking Dawn was clearly not that of a teenager (despite her randomly throwing in slang terms and phrases every so often). And Bella was... Bella. So she might just not know how to write teenagers with raging hormones in general. (I don't remember a case where Alice ever acted mature.)

But probably is just another case of contradicting canon. It's not like she thinks about what she's writing.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kairi Nightingale
Alexander J Luthor
Kairi Nightingale

What are you talking about? The Cullens are the heroes! Of course any rules that would result in negative or unappealing consequences on their character don't apply to them. xd

In a more serious tone, one might be able to argue that Edward could've been mature for his age when he was human in terms of behavior but that wouldn't explain the lack of raging hormones (excluding Breaking Dawn, where Bella and Edward go at quite frequently). Honestly, it could also be that Meyer is really bad at conveying romantic or aroused feelings in general. Edward IS the love interest, so she purposefully wrote him as mature. Jacob acted his age at the beginning, but like others mentioned already, he buffed up into a douchebag once Meyer decided to make him a love interest and his pov section in Breaking Dawn was clearly not that of a teenager (despite her randomly throwing in slang terms and phrases every so often). And Bella was... Bella. So she might just not know how to write teenagers with raging hormones in general. (I don't remember a case where Alice ever acted mature.)

But probably is just another case of contradicting canon. It's not like she thinks about what she's writing.

I don't believe she thinks at all. I've thought of that, but think of Edward's actions throughout the books. I got into it with someone who said it wasn't theft because Edward hid everything from him under Bella's floor boards.

Quote:
steal
stēl/
verb
gerund or present participle: stealing

take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.
"thieves stole her bicycle"
synonyms: purloin, thieve, take, take for oneself, help oneself to, loot, pilfer, run off with, abscond with, carry off, shoplift; More
embezzle, misappropriate;

move somewhere quietly or surreptitiously.
"he stole down to the kitchen"
synonyms: creep, sneak, slink, slip, slide, glide, tiptoe, sidle, edge

Origin
Old English stelan (verb), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch stelen and German stehlen .
Translate stealing to
Use over time for: stealing

We all know she's not smart enough to look someplace like that, so he fully intended on her never getting her stuff back. And the way he blames it all on her... *facepalm*
Alexander J Luthor
Kairi Nightingale

I don't believe she thinks at all. I've thought of that, but think of Edward's actions throughout the books. I got into it with someone who said it wasn't theft because Edward hid everything from him under Bella's floor boards.

Quote:
steal
stēl/
verb

take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.
synonyms: purloin, thieve, take, take for oneself, help oneself to, loot, pilfer, run off with, abscond with, carry off, shoplift; More

Origin
Old English stelan (verb), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch stelen and German stehlen .
Translate stealing to

We all know she's not smart enough to look someplace like that, so he fully intended on her never getting her stuff back. And the way he blames it all on her... *facepalm*

Yeah, that's pretty stupid. It doesn't matter what you steal or where you put it - it's still stealing. And that was both immature and controlling of him to steal all the stuff back from Bella.

In terms of maturity, though, are we talking about what Meyer intended to write or what she actually did write? Because those are two very different things.

In this case, she, through Bella's POV, tells us repeatedly that Edward is mature, but his actions - taking the engine out of her car when she tries to visit Jacob without telling him, stealing 'his' stuff back to force Bella to forget about him, generally throwing tantrums when he doesn't get his way - are actually extremely childish. It's what I believe to be the reason there are two factions of Twilight people in the first place - the fans see the epic love story she tells us she wrote and the anti-fans see the horrible story she actually wrote.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kairi Nightingale
Alexander J Luthor
Kairi Nightingale

Quote:
steal
stēl/
verb

Origin
Translate stealing to

Yeah, that's pretty stupid. It doesn't matter what you steal or where you put it - it's still stealing. And that was both immature and controlling of him to steal all the stuff back from Bella.

In terms of maturity, though, are we talking about what Meyer intended to write or what she actually did write? Because those are two very different things.

In this case, she, through Bella's POV, tells us repeatedly that Edward is mature, but his actions - taking the engine out of her car when she tries to visit Jacob without telling him, stealing 'his' stuff back to force Bella to forget about him, generally throwing tantrums when he doesn't get his way - are actually extremely childish. It's what I believe to be the reason there are two factions of Twilight people in the first place - the fans see the epic love story she tells us she wrote and the anti-fans see the horrible story she actually wrote.

This, this so much. If she was a decent writer who knew how to show instead of tell, she might have realized what exactly she was writing, but something tells me that she did this on purpose. Everyone knows how easy it is to contort children, and showing one thing while calling it another is classic conditioning.
Alexander J Luthor
Kairi Nightingale
Alexander J Luthor
Kairi Nightingale

Quote:
steal
stēl/
verb

Origin
Translate stealing to

This, this so much. If she was a decent writer who knew how to show instead of tell, she might have realized what exactly she was writing, but something tells me that she did this on purpose. Everyone knows how easy it is to contort children, and showing one thing while calling it another is classic conditioning.

If only. I've seen the woman's interviews and Q&A's. Between those and the guide and all the times she's contradicted her own canon, I really don't think she meant to do this. As much as I might want to vilify her for writing such vile themes, I really think she's just a bad writer and too ignorant to realize what she wrote. Plus, I don't think Twilight was originally meant to be a young adult's book. If I remember right, the fact that a lot of preteens and teens picked it up was either an accident or just what her publishers ended up advertising it as after she wrote the thing. Originally it was just Twilight and Forever Dawn, the later which became Breaking Dawn and was barely edited from the original. And with all the adult themes Forever Dawn had - the marriage, the (implied) sex, the pregnancy, etc. - it really makes me think that she meant this for an older audience, namely herself and anyone like her (the fact that it was a wish-fulfillment fantasy that she later decided to share through publishing on a whim kind of reinforces it).

I'm not saying it's impossible that she's an evil mastermind who purposefully attempted to condition younger generations to her way of thinking. But if she is, she's extremely good at playing the ignorant idiot.

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
        User Image

Quote:
        “When I write a story, it's not like I'm thinking about what I'm doing.”

I would just like to point out that she actually did say this during an interview.

The gentle sound of leaves rustling...User Image
and do you know what i realized?
Cedric Diggory died in Harry Potter and came back to life in Twilight as Edward Cullen. lol

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
SmallFoot5
Cedric Diggory died in Harry Potter and came back to life in Twilight as Edward Cullen. lol

User Image

Eh, old joke is old.

Minerva de Sade
SmallFoot5

User Image

Eh, old joke is old.

so sue me xp

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
SmallFoot5
so sue me xp

User Image

Alright then. You'll need to speak to my lawyer and you'll need to sign a few bits of paperwork to make sure you appear at court during the designated time and date.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces