Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which is better?

Buffy The Vampire Slayer 0.63333333333333 63.3% [ 57 ]
Twilight 0.27777777777778 27.8% [ 25 ]
Other? 0.088888888888889 8.9% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 90 ]
1 2 3 >

Okay so I'm a huge Buffy The Vampire Slayer fan and i use to be a Twilight fan too but i recently started flat out hating it.

So i was just wondering if anybody else out there like/know BtVS and if they think it's better than twilight. Are there any other vampire or vampire hunting movies/series/books/ you guys like better?
I absolutely LOVE Buffy. It's not necessarily the vampires that make it better than Twatlight, but the characters in general. There weren't really any "perfect" characters. They all had flaws that they needed to overcome and growing to do-right down to side characters, like Johnathon, Harmony, and even Joyce. There was actual conflict in the story lines, and not just with the "bad guys". Buffy, Willow, and Xander fought, disagreed with each other, and got on each others' nerves at times. They were human teenagers and acted like it. I love that.

The characters who had lived for centuries acted like they had. Angel, trying to cope with his soul even after a century of having it. He fell in love with Buffy, which was out of his control, and though the audience wanted the relationship to work out, it was written in the light of "Yea, this isn't some fairytale." It wasn't a perfect relationship, and it wasn't supposed to be seen as one. It was meant to be seen as dysfunctional and chaotic and terrifying, like most teenage relationships actually are. Buffy and Spike's relationship was even more dysfunctional, and was portrayed as such. It wasn't meant to be taken as rainbows and puppies. As you watched, you could see that Buffy was sleeping with him in order to escape the trauma she'd suffered. It got very dark and violent, and it was supposed to be seen that way.

Even as the plotlines grew admittedly convoluted and wangsty, you could still sympathize with the characters at least somewhat. You could see where the internal conflicts stemmed from. That is what made it such a great show. Each character's weaknesses were shown quite visibly and bluntly, but their desire to overcome them was equally shown. Basically, Joss could show. He didn't have to tell you how speshul everyone was because the characters were written to show their strengths AND weaknesses. THAT is why I love Buffy so much, and will periodically rewatch the series in its entirety, and not get bored with it. <3
If they made 7 seasons of that Velocicorn, i think it actually would be!

Invisible Genius

Ok well besides the fact that Buffy would flat-out own twilight with her axe of rock/slayer badassness and such, the characters are based in a real world drama(not counting all the vamps demons and what not). Twilight on the other hand seems to try so hard to make the love story last that any realism that could have remained was slowly killed off by Bella's obsessing of Edward and that fact that Jacob doesn't even get a bone for all the help he gave Bella when ed dipped on her

Mystical Shoujo

33,275 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
Buffy wins hands down.
Im not too big of a fan of twilight, i used to be .i only watched the series to see taylor/jacob wink , but btvs, i absolutely hate it, i dont know why. biggrin
SoftWhiteThorn
Im not too big of a fan of twilight, i used to be .i only watched the series to see taylor/jacob wink , but btvs, i absolutely hate it, i dont know why. biggrin

Same reason i watched Twilight lol . BtVS is the type of thing where i think you either love it or hate it. I'm a lover of it, but i can most DEFINITELY see why you would hate it.
I would say Btvs hands down. Buffy can kick butt easily, what can Bella do?
The vampire acdamy is s great series! i love btvs twilight kinda got lame
No contest, Buffy could kill them all.

Hot Exhibitionist

9,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Autobiographer 200
I don't compare the two. I like them both. They are both their own versions of perfection. I find it useless to ever compare series'. There is no "better" or "worse"; it just is what it is.
The Mangled Masterpiece
I don't compare the two. I like them both. They are both their own versions of perfection. I find it useless to ever compare series'. There is no "better" or "worse"; it just is what it is.

I actually really like your way of thinking!
With Buffy, you've got this marvelous, diverse bunch of characters and each and every one of them grows in some way during their time in the story. There's plenty of Joss-y humor splashed all over, and that's wonderful, but much of the series is just raw and real and powerful. Twilight is just so pale in comparison. I really can't say that I saw much, if any, growth in its cast. What changes the characters experienced were usually sudden shifts, like Bella's emotional coma at Edward's leaving and instant recovery with his return, or Jacob's imprinting.

I'd say there's no comparison only in that Buffy's depth of character, themes, and all around quality of writing is so far beyond Twilight's.

Invisible Vampire

10,750 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Buffy win I hate twilight it just plain stupid.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff