Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Yeah, it's a Twilight vs MLP:FiM thread.

I know, one's a book and movie series and the other is a wicked awesome TV show (And declared the best new cartoon show of 2010). But there are enough similarities to warrant a comparison.

1. Twilight has sparkly vampires, MLP has Twilight Sparkle (Yeah yeah, I know).
2. Both garner a lot of hate from people (Mostly the Brony/Pegasister subculture for MLP)
3. Both are also popular with people outside of the target demographic (Bronies and Twi-Moms)
4. Both have...ugh...meaning ("Dear Princess Celestia..." and the not-so-well-hidden Mormon propaganda of Twilight).
5. Both have internal fan-based factions (Team _____ and who is your favorite pony and the Solar Empire vs New Lunar Republic *Waves a Luna flag*)
6. ROMANCE! (Twilight's mess of "romance" and the various canon ships of MLP (Rarity x Spike for example)

So yeah, discuss.

Also, related:
User Image

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
My Little Pony all the way. It sends a good message, whereas Twilight does not.
Meyerpires are sparkly for fail scientific reasons, the ponies are special for magical reasons.
Twilight is usually hated, if the person has never watched the movies/read the books just on the fact Meyerpires sparkle, My Little Pony is generally hated on for whom the target audience is intended for and finding out that people of different genders and age groups enjoy it may be intimidating, I have yet to hear of crazy fans who attack haters for this cartoon, but I wouldn't doubt there may be some out there.
Meaning behind these two usually have profound affects on youth, though we know some messages are definitely better than others.
Personally I'm Team Fluttershy and Team Lunar Republic, and anyone SMeyer hasn't ruined by writing about their point of view.
Twilight romance will never hold a candle to Spike x Rarity or Pinkie Pie x Sweets.

And this is my thoughts on the subject.

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Team mfing Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy and Applejack and...*list goes on*

That is all. *chinese dong*

Mystical Tamer

♫If you be my star, I'll be your sky
You can hide underneath me and come out at night
When I turn jet black and you show off your light
I live to let you shine♪

You know, I can't really say I'm a brony, but I'll take the ponies over the sparkly vampires any day.

♪But you can skyrocket away from me
And never come back if you find another galaxy
Far from here with more room to fly
Just leave me your stardust to remember you by...♫

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
I finally got around to watching the first episode today. It's so freakin cuuuuuteeee! .3. And funny too.

Twilight the pony > Twilight "Saga". The characters are more interesting than any of the Meyerpires, even though they're a bit 2D. But hey, I'm not even done with episode 1. They might get rounded out better later, but they're already impressive for a child's cartoon. I like Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, and our somewhat unfortunately named protagonist.

Who is a far more convincing bookworm or brainiac than Bella ever was. And I like her.

So many antis here like MLP, I'm surprised we don't have more threads about Twilight Sparkle as a joke.

EDIT: And MLP has an antagonist! :O You know, I haven't seen a lot of hardcore re-occurring Big Bads in cartoons in a while... unless if it was anime.

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
NightfallDuet

"Uh...I think you mean "gong" there, Night.

Anyways, on the topic at hand....I honestly think that MLP has better messages to deliver to the younger generations, as well as teaching the adults a thing or two.

MLP focuses on friendships, the relationships that last through lusty romances and fall-outs. It teaches you how to cherish your friends, and it deals with situations people can (and do) encounter in their everyday lives, while masking it with a fantasy feel. And they solve their problems in a way that everyone can understand. They may not have magic or wings to fly with, but the messages are heartfelt and good.

Twilight, on the other hand, is complete wish fulfillment. There isn't much that is "realistic" besides the setting it's in, and even that has had logic holes punched in it. Meyer throws away grammar, biology, geography, and common sense to make sure the books ended how she envisioned them, rather than the ending that seemed more natural, in my opinion. The books were purely for Meyer herself, while ponies are for the viewers.

And I can't pick pony teams. I love them far too much. >///3///>
"

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Minerva de Sade
NightfallDuet

"Uh...I think you mean "gong" there, Night.

Anyways, on the topic at hand....I honestly think that MLP has better messages to deliver to the younger generations, as well as teaching the adults a thing or two.

MLP focuses on friendships, the relationships that last through lusty romances and fall-outs. It teaches you how to cherish your friends, and it deals with situations people can (and do) encounter in their everyday lives, while masking it with a fantasy feel. And they solve their problems in a way that everyone can understand. They may not have magic or wings to fly with, but the messages are heartfelt and good.

Twilight, on the other hand, is complete wish fulfillment. There isn't much that is "realistic" besides the setting it's in, and even that has had logic holes punched in it. Meyer throws away grammar, biology, geography, and common sense to make sure the books ended how she envisioned them, rather than the ending that seemed more natural, in my opinion. The books were purely for Meyer herself, while ponies are for the viewers.

And I can't pick pony teams. I love them far too much. >///3///>
"

Oops...xD

Agreed. I just agree with all of this.

If the woman wrote them for herself, why she did even bother publishing it? (Besides the family/friends' encouragement--me don't care about that.)

6,300 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Heckler 50
Comparing MLP with Twilight is like comparing a cookie and a pile o poop.

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Belethiel
I finally got around to watching the first episode today. It's so freakin cuuuuuteeee! .3. And funny too.

Twilight the pony > Twilight "Saga". The characters are more interesting than any of the Meyerpires, even though they're a bit 2D. But hey, I'm not even done with episode 1. They might get rounded out better later, but they're already impressive for a child's cartoon. I like Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, and our somewhat unfortunately named protagonist.

Who is a far more convincing bookworm or brainiac than Bella ever was. And I like her.

So many antis here like MLP, I'm surprised we don't have more threads about Twilight Sparkle as a joke.

EDIT: And MLP has an antagonist! :O You know, I haven't seen a lot of hardcore re-occurring Big Bads in cartoons in a while... unless if it was anime.

There isn't any reoccuring big bads in this MLP series.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel

Yeah, I figured that out. .____. *dissapointed* Oh well, it's still better than Twilight.

The first two episodes are so magical girl-like. xD

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Belethiel
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel

Yeah, I figured that out. .____. *dissapointed* Oh well, it's still better than Twilight.

I know right? X3

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel

I know right? X3

I kinda wish the whole thing was like that. ;3; I liked it more than the sitcomy stuff.

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Belethiel
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel

I know right? X3

I kinda wish the whole thing was like that. ;3; I liked it more than the sitcomy stuff.

Yeah, I have both the first two episodes of both seasons for that reason. I love Discord, he's an awesome baddie.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel

I know right? X3

Yeah, I have both the first two episodes of both seasons for that reason. I love Discord, he's an awesome baddie.

Helps that he's voiced by the guy that played Q in Star Trek.

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Silvia Crow
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel

I know right? X3

Helps that he's voiced by the guy that played Q in Star Trek.

Yes, yes, it does very much help. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces