Welcome to Gaia! ::

Midna is awesome, right?

Yes 0.26086956521739 26.1% [ 6 ]
*puts shield on face and holds a sword upside-down* ONWARD, WOLF LINK 0.39130434782609 39.1% [ 9 ]
I wanna hug that lovable b***h! ;3; 0.08695652173913 8.7% [ 2 ]
No 0.043478260869565 4.3% [ 1 ]
Team... LINK! 0.1304347826087 13.0% [ 3 ]
OMG!!! I LUV TWILIGHT SO MUCH HURR DURR, WEREWOLF LINK! 0.043478260869565 4.3% [ 1 ]
ZELDA RIPED OFFA TWILIT!! f** U! 0.043478260869565 4.3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 23 ]
< 1 2

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
supervamp78
GreatWizardRoniBaby
supervamp78
are you seriously comparing twilight princess to twilight they aren't even the same boat
Do you have a rebuttal to anything she said though? She has posted a very good post, what do you see wrong with it?

the fact that shes comparing twilight to twilight princess and i know people compare harry potter to twilight i think thats stupid too why compare and contrast? the only reason your doing it is to show ones better then the other

Exactly. emotion_awesome And it points out what other stuff did right, and what Twilight did wrong. It brings out more examples to support the anti-Twilight argument.

And it's actually really sad when a video game beats a novel in story telling. It's even worse when a formerly misogynistic game changes and becomes more feminist than the novel in question.

Link doesn't even talk, and he's a better character than Bella because he actually cares about people, and he's the hero in his own story. We can see that. You know... I think I underestimated his characterization earlier, there's something there, but it's so.. basic. But it works in video game context.
Belethiel
supervamp78
GreatWizardRoniBaby
supervamp78
are you seriously comparing twilight princess to twilight they aren't even the same boat
Do you have a rebuttal to anything she said though? She has posted a very good post, what do you see wrong with it?

the fact that shes comparing twilight to twilight princess and i know people compare harry potter to twilight i think thats stupid too why compare and contrast? the only reason your doing it is to show ones better then the other

Exactly. emotion_awesome And it points out what other stuff did right, and what Twilight did wrong. It brings out more examples to support the anti-Twilight argument.

And it's actually really sad when a video game beats a novel in story telling. It's even worse when a formerly misogynistic game changes and becomes more feminist than the novel in question.

Link doesn't even talk, and he's a better character than Bella because he actually cares about people, and he's the hero in his own story. We can see that. You know... I think I underestimated his characterization earlier, there's something there, but it's so.. basic. But it works in video game context.

thats the dumbest s**t ive read ever

first off that just makes this pointless
second how was zelda a misogynistic game
thrid why can't a video game have a good story?
fourth your over analizing that game and this book
of course link cares about people hes a hero and bella does two i.e the time she ran to save her mother when she thought she was being held by james does that ring a bell

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
supervamp78
haunting heaven
supervamp78
yeah i do theres a point when it becomes to much

ok i get that you don't like twilight but comparing it to a fanstay rpg about a fairy boy saving a princess is a little ******** too much.

All stories have things in common. For example, every story has at least one character and a plot. They don't need to be the same genre or even the same format to draw comparisons between the two. One could compare Twilight to anything, and it wouldn't be "too much." :/

no no no no you can't justify this im sorry but yeah its true you can compare anything but there needs to be a reason for one and there also needs to be some similarity between the two

but this is merely to tear at twilight then it is comparing

its just "well twilight princess does this this and this so this is why twilight sucks"

"ohhh midna is so much better the bella"

.... I'm more like, contrasting. With this. Did I mention the weird coincidences between the names of these two things and the fact they have a character who shapeshifts into a wolf? Isn't it amusing?

And before you say they got the wolf thing from Twilight, chances are, they didn't. The game is from 2006, and may have been in production before the Twilight movie was released. (that was when it became massively popular.) Not to mention, The Legend of Zelda was developed in Japan. On the other side of the pond, American stuff doesn't trickle over there so fast. It takes a year or so for a craze that started in America to take hold elsewhere, by my estimate.
supervamp78
GreatWizardRoniBaby
supervamp78

....That's the whole reason for comparing and contrasting. If this is your number one reason for why it shouldn't be done then it's a very stupid one.
GreatWizardRoniBaby
supervamp78
GreatWizardRoniBaby
supervamp78

....That's the whole reason for comparing and contrasting. If this is your number one reason for why it shouldn't be done then it's a very stupid one.
'

comparing and contrasting means your trying to find the ups and downs to both but this is just finding the ups in one and putting down the other

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
supervamp78
Belethiel
supervamp78
GreatWizardRoniBaby
supervamp78

thats the dumbest s**t ive read ever

first off that just makes this pointless
second how was zelda a misogynistic game
thrid why can't a video game have a good story?
fourth your over analizing that game and this book
of course link cares about people hes a hero and bella does two i.e the time she ran to save her mother when she thought she was being held by james does that ring a bell

Uh... Damsel in distress = Women are weak. There were virtually no female characters except for random villagers and Zelda herself. Mario was the same way. Women were inequal in both games until the late 90's. They were not equally represented, or given roles as main characters.

They do. I've seen some amazing stories, but few are rarely as good as a novel, or well constructed (Zelda has some of the best story telling that I've seen, by the way). The story in a game is often secondary to the actual gameplay.

No. I am analyzing two stories. As in the plot of Zelda, and waste of trees that is Twilight.

She never gave a damn about anyone but Edward since then. Link has been saving people left and right, and it's not always the princess. Bella let hundreds of innocent people die. The Cullens let innocent people die. They're not heroes, they don't save lives. They let the vampires who were visiting eat people while they were in Forks, and they did nothing about the newborns until they threatened ~*super speshul snowflake*~, Bella Swan. Not to mention how many people the vampires have killed on accident when they lost control.
supervamp78
haunting heaven
supervamp78

That's the point, really. To show what one did right and the other did wrong. Do you have a problem with that?

ok i get that you don't like twilight but comparing it to a fanstay rpg about a fairy boy saving a princess is a little ******** too much.
Zelda games isn't a fantasy RPG. It's more as a adventure action game. Edward can't do any s**t, he can't even save Bella when she's pregnant.
supervamp78
GreatWizardRoniBaby
supervamp78
GreatWizardRoniBaby
supervamp78

'

comparing and contrasting means your trying to find the ups and downs to both but this is just finding the ups in one and putting down the other
would you like to give your input on the good in twilight that rebuts what she said?

Prodigal Mage

supervamp78
no no no no you can't justify this im sorry but yeah its true you can compare anything but there needs to be a reason for one and there also needs to be some similarity between the two

its just "well twilight princess does this this and this so this is why twilight sucks"

One reason is to compare and contrast strong female characters with weak ones. Hey, look--they both have female characters. There's your similarity.

(Also, "compare and contrast" doesn't mean you have to find "ups and downs" for both things being compared and contrasted--it means you find similarities and differences between the two things in question.)

Comparing doesn't have to be just "Hey look, these two things share a similarity." It often is showing what one did right and the other did wrong--thus "tearing at" the other. No one simply said Midna was better than Bella. People explained why they thought she was the stronger female character.

So, join in. Explain why you think Bella is the better character. I'm sure you have reasons. c:

Dangerous Sex Symbol

7,000 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
supervamp78
haunting heaven
supervamp78

All stories have things in common. For example, every story has at least one character and a plot. They don't need to be the same genre or even the same format to draw comparisons between the two. One could compare Twilight to anything, and it wouldn't be "too much." :/

Learn some proper grammar, then come back.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
I noticed some very interesting character development with Midna and Collin.

Midna starts out as very selfish and apathetic toward Link with no intrest in the world of light at all. After they go through a few boss battles together, and Link saves her life, she sees that the only way to help her people in the Twilight Realm is to help Link's world. She then becomes much more cooperative, less secretive and more helpful.

Collin is just getting stronger and more independant. The kid is basically growing up, and getting braver when he used to be very shy.

Also, Twilight and Zelda are built so you can insert yourself into the empty main characters. Since LoZ is a video game and not literature, it works, especially since all of the other major characters are very round and fleshed out. Link's thin characterization is not a result of poor writing, but game mechanics. Isn't it fun to read your own name on the screen? (although... on my current game, Link is still named Link. My sister named her game's Link, Poptart. Which is hilarious.)

6,300 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Heckler 50
]
supervamp78
haunting heaven
supervamp78

If you believe that Twilight is superior, would you like to add to the comparison?
Onward wolf Link!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces