Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hot Exhibitionist

9,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Minerva de Sade
The Mangled Masterpiece
Yeah, I often got annoyed with the way she made it out to seem like her vampires were indisputably gorgeous. To everyone. I myself am not a big fan of unmarked skin. To me "perfect" skin means scars, birth marks, maybe a zit or two. Something to indicate that um, you've... experienced things. It's like feeling someone's hands and seeing that they're completely smooth; it usually means they haven't done much work. I like rough hands. I like hands that I know have done things. Same thing with skin. "Perfectly" smooth, "perfectly flawless" skin in society's eyes are very, very different from what I consider "perfect" or "beautiful".

Even Bella. I mean... she complains about looking too plain or not being pretty enough, but the way she's described is exactly like these teen models you see on TV. Smooth, light skin. I don't recall her complaining about acne. Long brown hair that happens to be somewhat manageable enough to where she can brush it back into a ponytail and walk out of the house without looking like she got struck by lightening? Please. I spend 20 minutes flat-ironing my hair before I can even think about going outside. ******** b***h. Short. Skinny. ******** that. Maybe I would have a little more sympathy for Bella and her inferiority complex about her appearance if let's say, she came to Forks with a horrible sun burn, had super frizzy hair that poofed up if you even say the word "humidity" in her presence, had one lazy eye, got one pimple, was at least slightly over or under weight, or had one tit that was noticeably bigger than the other. Something. Anything. Thunder thighs? Big forehead?

There aren't any fat people in Twilight, period, now that I think about it. Nobody was even fat BEFORE they became vampires.

caligulasAquarium

*applauds* This is a good post. Yes.

I can totally agree that Bella would be a lot better of a character (and I could relate to her more), if she actually had flaws like this. If she actually had to work for her looks like most people do.

I get it that there are some people who don't get acne. I get it there are people who have awesome hair. I get it that there are people who are "naturally petite". What I don't get is how one girl I'm supposed to "relate" to as a reader can be ALL OF THE ABOVE. I mean, most teenagers get acne, even if it's very light like I (thankfully) had. Most teenagers have to do up their hair in the morning. Most teenagers have weight worries (which can be blamed on the media.)

I would like Bella a HELL of a lot more if she were the kind of teen who worried about what she ate because she didn't want to get fat, if she constantly had to use acne scrubs and face masks because she was worried about zits, and/or she had to fiddle with her hair for a half hour every day, on top of washing it just so.

I'd also appreciate it if Meyer made her seem like a normal person, and not "I don't have periods, ever. Oh, but I missed one but I'm normally like clockwork I'm pregnant ERMAGAWD."

A little continuity isn't that much to ask.

While we're on the topic of fixing Miss Swan, might I suggest we overhaul her brain? It doesn't seem to be working when she needs to be able to find features of her face, and her personality is so awful.
            User Image

Luckily enough, I got acne occasionally for like, one year of my entire life. Age 12; same year I got my period. After that, nothing. Sometimes before my period, I get one pimple somewhere on my face where I barely notice it and then I forget about it as quickly as I find it. Awesome. But not average... which Bella claims to be. Average.

I'm not overly fond of her personality, either. But at least Edward got her before anybody else had to suffer. And vise versa. Edward is... just no. I'd rather be single and celibate for the rest of my life than to go on one date with either of them. They're mindless douchebags so naturally they'd be attracted to a mindless b***h.

Funny; I love the s**t out of Twilight, but I can only name two characters I don't hate.

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
The Mangled Masterpiece
Luckily enough, I got acne occasionally for like, one year of my entire life. Age 12; same year I got my period. After that, nothing. Sometimes before my period, I get one pimple somewhere on my face where I barely notice it and then I forget about it as quickly as I find it. Awesome. But not average... which Bella claims to be. Average.

I'm not overly fond of her personality, either. But at least Edward got her before anybody else had to suffer. And vise versa. Edward is... just no. I'd rather be single and celibate for the rest of my life than to go on one date with either of them. They're mindless douchebags so naturally they'd be attracted to a mindless b***h.

Funny; I love the s**t out of Twilight, but I can only name two characters I don't hate.

caligulasAquarium

Exactly. Bella is "average", yet she has pretty much the best of everything. The best skin, the best hair, the "best" boyfriend, ect. Bella is pretty much a spoiled girl who bitches about her privileges. Dad gets her a truck? Whine a little. "Friends" ignore you because you ditched them for your boyfriend, then when he dumped you, you became suicidal and started doing crazy s**t? Traitors.

And it's also funny because I don't like Twilight as a whole, but I can still name some things I like about it. 3nodding
            User Image

Hot Exhibitionist

9,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Minerva de Sade
The Mangled Masterpiece

caligulasAquarium

Exactly. Bella is "average", yet she has pretty much the best of everything. The best skin, the best hair, the "best" boyfriend, ect. Bella is pretty much a spoiled girl who bitches about her privileges. Dad gets her a truck? Whine a little. "Friends" ignore you because you ditched them for your boyfriend, then when he dumped you, you became suicidal and started doing crazy s**t? Traitors.

And it's also funny because I don't like Twilight as a whole, but I can still name some things I like about it. 3nodding
            User Image
I do think her friends were slightly insensitive. Depression does happen. Some people are not all there mentally and need a little help. Depression causes a person to resist help and even fight it sometimes. I can't imagine ever giving up on a friend who is clearly suffering. If I have to knock them out and drag them to a mental hospital myself, I will do so. I was kind of on her side with that one.

I don't see why Edward thought she was no unique and grew so infatuated with her. First of all, there's very little he understands about the world and people considering that he claims to have "seen/heard it all and then some" due to his mind-reading ability. And in Midnight Sun, he comes off as the most self-righteous control-freak in the universe. Anyway, Bella has thought, said and done nothing extraordinary outside of falling insanely in love with a guy for no reason whatsoever. In over one hundred years, he couldn't find someone who stood out to him more than HER?

Okay. Sure. I buy it. Totally.

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
The Mangled Masterpiece
I do think her friends were slightly insensitive. Depression does happen. Some people are not all there mentally and need a little help. Depression causes a person to resist help and even fight it sometimes. I can't imagine ever giving up on a friend who is clearly suffering. If I have to knock them out and drag them to a mental hospital myself, I will do so. I was kind of on her side with that one.

I don't see why Edward thought she was no unique and grew so infatuated with her. First of all, there's very little he understands about the world and people considering that he claims to have "seen/heard it all and then some" due to his mind-reading ability. And in Midnight Sun, he comes off as the most self-righteous control-freak in the universe. Anyway, Bella has thought, said and done nothing extraordinary outside of falling insanely in love with a guy for no reason whatsoever. In over one hundred years, he couldn't find someone who stood out to him more than HER?

caligulasAquarium

Well, while it is understandable that some people fall into depression, I would imagine that the people around Bella grew a little frustrated with her after the first few weeks of her little emotional stint. I mean, it was just her boyfriend dumping her. Sure, some people are clinically depressed, and any little thing can send them into a downward spiral, but we were never told that Bella had any such condition.

I feel that if her friends had just left her right after it happened, I would have been more upset with them. But Bella was at it for months. It's hard to imagine that people would be willing to put up with that for too long. They have their own lives to live, as cruel as it may sound.

Which brings me back to the whole "Bella is supposed to be relateable" topic. An average teenaged girl would have been over it in three weeks, tops. She would have watched some sad movies, gotten a little support from her friends, and moved on. Maybe she would have gone out with Jacob. Or (heaven forbid) Mike.

On to the "spechul snowflake" topic. From what I understand, Edward was so fascinated by Bella because he couldn't read her mind.

Which is funny, because he expresses his distaste for all the girls who only think about his looks, and that's what Bella thinks about all the time.
            User Image

Hot Exhibitionist

9,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Minerva de Sade
The Mangled Masterpiece

caligulasAquarium

From what I understand, he was so fascinated by her because he couldn't read her mind.

Which is funny, because he expresses his distaste for all the girls who only think about his looks, and that's what Bella thinks about all the time.
            User Image
He has the audacity in Midnight Sun to call their thoughts "offensive". Um. You're the one with the freaky power, dude. stare

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
The Mangled Masterpiece
He has the audacity in Midnight Sun to call their thoughts "offensive". Um. You're the one with the freaky power, dude. stare

caligulasAquarium

Sorry, I had another thought, and I edited the other post. sweatdrop

But, yeah. I mean, he's got no real place to say something like that when he's the one who's so concerned with how Bella smells and pretty much nothing else.
            User Image

Hot Exhibitionist

9,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Minerva de Sade
The Mangled Masterpiece

caligulasAquarium

Sorry, I had another thought, and I edited the other post. sweatdrop

But, yeah. I mean, he's got no real place to say something like that when he's the one who's so concerned with how Bella smells and pretty much nothing else.
            User Image
I read it just now. Yeah, you're right. I understand why her behavior would have pushed people away, and be unappealing to the readers.

Right? I'm pretty sure none of those girls were mentally sniffing him.
rofl

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
The Mangled Masterpiece
I read it just now. Yeah, you're right. I understand why her behavior would have pushed people away, and be unappealing to the readers.

rofl

caligulasAquarium

And they're (most likely) not slipping through his window at night to watch him sleep.User Image

Hot Exhibitionist

9,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Minerva de Sade
The Mangled Masterpiece

rofl

caligulasAquarium

And they're (most likely) not slipping through his window at night to watch him sleep.User Image
I'm mad he even took oil with him so her window wouldn't squeak. No. Just no. That's professional-stalker status right there.

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
The Mangled Masterpiece
I'm mad he even took oil with him so her window wouldn't squeak. No. Just no. That's professional-stalker status right there.

caligulasAquarium

Oh, but he felt guilty, and he's apparently "hot", so it's totally okay.User Image
MuffinTheOrphan
Grace9988
I guess so but is it really that big of a deal? I don't think it's necessarily healthy to advertise being overweight, it's not like the vampires in twilight are stick thin either.
All the women are referred to as some type of unhealthy thin, using words such as petite and thin. With people who are as short as Alice and Bella, being referred to as ghastly thin is not a good thing. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but with an author like Meyer who only views women as women if they're pretty, popular, and can have children, telling girls who read the series that thinner is better isn't a good thing, even if she isn't outright saying it in her series. She already made it blatantly clear that if you aren't a good vampire, you aren't a pretty one, why put it past her to think that there can't be any chubby vampires?

I understand in the Twilight books Bella and Alice were described as skinny, but in the films neither Alice or Bella are unhealthy skinny, and neither is the rest of the cast. And I agree that it isn't exactly a positive message to send to your fans, but that's just the way that Meyer visions vampires and I don't think a series of books is necessarily responsible for fans viewpoint on what is a healthy weight.
Grace9988
MuffinTheOrphan
Grace9988
I guess so but is it really that big of a deal? I don't think it's necessarily healthy to advertise being overweight, it's not like the vampires in twilight are stick thin either.
All the women are referred to as some type of unhealthy thin, using words such as petite and thin. With people who are as short as Alice and Bella, being referred to as ghastly thin is not a good thing. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but with an author like Meyer who only views women as women if they're pretty, popular, and can have children, telling girls who read the series that thinner is better isn't a good thing, even if she isn't outright saying it in her series. She already made it blatantly clear that if you aren't a good vampire, you aren't a pretty one, why put it past her to think that there can't be any chubby vampires?

I understand in the Twilight books Bella and Alice were described as skinny, but in the films neither Alice or Bella are unhealthy skinny, and neither is the rest of the cast. And I agree that it isn't exactly a positive message to send to your fans, but that's just the way that Meyer visions vampires and I don't think a series of books is necessarily responsible for fans viewpoint on what is a healthy weight.
That's because that's not Alice and Bella in the films, that's Kstew and what's her face. To use this as any kind of reason or excuse is kind of flimsy because in no way does Ktew and the other woman represent Bella and Alice.

You're naive then to how human beings work in response to certain stimulants. Meyer's series has influenced its fan base on much less levels than striving to be skinny enough to get the perfect Edward that they want.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff