Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kasri Noireau
Belethiel
Grace9988
Maybe because the time period the vampires are from, fewer amount of the population were overweight? I might be wrong but I thought that the amount of people being overweight has increased in recent years, due to unhealthy diets ect. So, considering the vampires from twilight were human in a different century, a higher amount of the population were considered in a healthy weight range. And, vampires, once being changed into a vampire are frozen in their current human state. Therefore making them unable to lose or gain weight because they are not able to change.

Still, there should be at least some that exist! Especially in the newborn army.

Personally, I think it's because the vampires largely conform to Meyer's ideal of beauty which tends toward the slender, but if you want an attempted (and completely bullshit) justification of it in universe, I guess that during the vampirization process where everything is crystallizing or whatever, there would a) be a HUGE energy requirement and so the fat reserves were burnt by the body during the process (Don't ask me how a toxin entering the body can be metabolising fat reserves, I am literally making this up on the fly) and/or b) the fat cells themselves may not transform as efficiently and so be lost. This falls apart when you consider that the female vampires still have boobs but... that's all I got.

Actually, that does make some sense. I remember when Bella transformed, in addition to fixing her birthing injuries, the venom did stuff like spontaneously straighten her nose. So maybe the venom makes vampires conform to Meyer's idea of beauty.
Yunaloveheart
There's no black vampires either.

Yes there is. Laurent is black.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Evalene
Yunaloveheart

Not in the books, and that is the thing that really matters since it's the source material for the movie. Being a Meyerpire means that you turn white no matter what ethnicity you are. This is proven in Eclipse in Jasper's backstory. The woman who turned him into a vampire was a Mexican, yet she was described as "porcelien skinned", or very very white like a doll. She wasn't a caucasian Mexican either, as she was also described as having "Mexican features" whatever that means.
Evalene
Yunaloveheart

Nope. He's olive in the books.
Belethiel
Grace9988
Maybe because the time period the vampires are from, fewer amount of the population were overweight? I might be wrong but I thought that the amount of people being overweight has increased in recent years, due to unhealthy diets ect. So, considering the vampires from twilight were human in a different century, a higher amount of the population were considered in a healthy weight range. And, vampires, once being changed into a vampire are frozen in their current human state. Therefore making them unable to lose or gain weight because they are not able to change.

Still, there should be at least some that exist! Especially in the newborn army.

There probably is... there was a whole army of newborn vampires, u only see some in the fight scene, u don't see them all close up. So, chances are, at least one of the vampires in the newborn army were overweight.
Grace9988
Belethiel
Grace9988

There probably is... there was a whole army of newborn vampires, u only see some in the fight scene, u don't see them all close up. So, chances are, at least one of the vampires in the newborn army were overweight.
I highly doubt it.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Grace9988
Belethiel
Grace9988

If there were any, you think they would be detailed in The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. And they should have been.
Belethiel
Grace9988
Belethiel
Grace9988

If there were any, you think they would be detailed in The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. And they should have been.[/quo

I guess so but is it really that big of a deal? I don't think it's necessarily healthy to advertise being overweight, it's not like the vampires in twilight are stick thin either.
Grace9988
I guess so but is it really that big of a deal? I don't think it's necessarily healthy to advertise being overweight, it's not like the vampires in twilight are stick thin either.
All the women are referred to as some type of unhealthy thin, using words such as petite and thin. With people who are as short as Alice and Bella, being referred to as ghastly thin is not a good thing. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but with an author like Meyer who only views women as women if they're pretty, popular, and can have children, telling girls who read the series that thinner is better isn't a good thing, even if she isn't outright saying it in her series. She already made it blatantly clear that if you aren't a good vampire, you aren't a pretty one, why put it past her to think that there can't be any chubby vampires?

Predestined Star

If you remember, they were written to be beautiful beings. They ate only deer and stuff, and there isn't fat in deer. It's not like she flat out said she thought that "fat" people were disgusting or anything. It just a matter of who played the role right. (I'm assuming) Did it say in the book how much they weighed? I don't remember that at all in the book.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Dollface The Clown
If you remember, they were written to be beautiful beings. They ate only deer and stuff, and there isn't fat in deer. It's not like she flat out said she thought that "fat" people were disgusting or anything. It just a matter of who played the role right. (I'm assuming) Did it say in the book how much they weighed? I don't remember that at all in the book.

How fat you are has nothing to do with how pretty you are. It's all in how you dress or carry yourself, or take care of your health. No matter what size you are, someone will be attracted to you.

Thinness is only really attractive to Westernized cultures because we're exposed to so many thin figures in entertainment. Most of the women you see are waifs, there are no muscular or chubby ladies, and that doesn't reflect real life at all.

Metabolic burning of fat doesn't effect Meyerpires. They're frozen the way they are for eternity.

It's just a result of Meyer being ignorant of anyone who isn't white, thin, heterosexual, and middle-class to wealthy. These days, that's something an author shouldn't be.
I rather date someone chubby and healthy than date someone who is anorexia.
Dollface The Clown
Beauty=/= your waist line or a number on a scale. There is fat in deer O.o. What you mean is that there isn't any fat in deer blood, of which I respond that there is no nutritional value to be found in blood of any kind and that Meyer's vampires do not have a functioning digestive system. What they take in they keep it in till they throw it up. They can't piss it out and can't get any nutritional off of blood so it just sits in their stomachs.

They are all model thin. Alice was described like that, so was Rosalie. Bella described herself as thinly beautiful though tried to back track and say her thinness wasn't healthy.

It's not a matter of who played the role right because these were characters who already existed in book form. There is not one black person and not one even slightly chubby person in the books, certainly not one who matters. Meyer writes like it's all about being Caucasian and thin.

Hot Exhibitionist

9,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Yeah, I often got annoyed with the way she made it out to seem like her vampires were indisputably gorgeous. To everyone. I myself am not a big fan of unmarked skin. To me "perfect" skin means scars, birth marks, maybe a zit or two. Something to indicate that um, you've... experienced things. It's like feeling someone's hands and seeing that they're completely smooth; it usually means they haven't done much work. I like rough hands. I like hands that I know have done things. Same thing with skin. "Perfectly" smooth, "perfectly flawless" skin in society's eyes are very, very different from what I consider "perfect" or "beautiful".

Even Bella. I mean... she complains about looking too plain or not being pretty enough, but the way she's described is exactly like these teen models you see on TV. Smooth, light skin. I don't recall her complaining about acne. Long brown hair that happens to be somewhat manageable enough to where she can brush it back into a ponytail and walk out of the house without looking like she got struck by lightening? Please. I spend 20 minutes flat-ironing my hair before I can even think about going outside. ******** b***h. Short. Skinny. ******** that. Maybe I would have a little more sympathy for Bella and her inferiority complex about her appearance if let's say, she came to Forks with a horrible sun burn, had super frizzy hair that poofed up if you even say the word "humidity" in her presence, had one lazy eye, got one pimple, was at least slightly over or under weight, or had one tit that was noticeably bigger than the other. Something. Anything. Thunder thighs? Big forehead?

There aren't any fat people in Twilight, period, now that I think about it. Nobody was even fat BEFORE they became vampires.

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
The Mangled Masterpiece
Yeah, I often got annoyed with the way she made it out to seem like her vampires were indisputably gorgeous. To everyone. I myself am not a big fan of unmarked skin. To me "perfect" skin means scars, birth marks, maybe a zit or two. Something to indicate that um, you've... experienced things. It's like feeling someone's hands and seeing that they're completely smooth; it usually means they haven't done much work. I like rough hands. I like hands that I know have done things. Same thing with skin. "Perfectly" smooth, "perfectly flawless" skin in society's eyes are very, very different from what I consider "perfect" or "beautiful".

Even Bella. I mean... she complains about looking too plain or not being pretty enough, but the way she's described is exactly like these teen models you see on TV. Smooth, light skin. I don't recall her complaining about acne. Long brown hair that happens to be somewhat manageable enough to where she can brush it back into a ponytail and walk out of the house without looking like she got struck by lightening? Please. I spend 20 minutes flat-ironing my hair before I can even think about going outside. ******** b***h. Short. Skinny. ******** that. Maybe I would have a little more sympathy for Bella and her inferiority complex about her appearance if let's say, she came to Forks with a horrible sun burn, had super frizzy hair that poofed up if you even say the word "humidity" in her presence, had one lazy eye, got one pimple, was at least slightly over or under weight, or had one tit that was noticeably bigger than the other. Something. Anything. Thunder thighs? Big forehead?

There aren't any fat people in Twilight, period, now that I think about it. Nobody was even fat BEFORE they became vampires.

caligulasAquarium

*applauds* This is a good post. Yes.

I can totally agree that Bella would be a lot better of a character (and I could relate to her more), if she actually had flaws like this. If she actually had to work for her looks like most people do.

I get it that there are some people who don't get acne. I get it there are people who have awesome hair. I get it that there are people who are "naturally petite". What I don't get is how one girl I'm supposed to "relate" to as a reader can be ALL OF THE ABOVE. I mean, most teenagers get acne, even if it's very light like I (thankfully) had. Most teenagers have to do up their hair in the morning. Most teenagers have weight worries (which can be blamed on the media.)

I would like Bella a HELL of a lot more if she were the kind of teen who worried about what she ate because she didn't want to get fat, if she constantly had to use acne scrubs and face masks because she was worried about zits, and/or she had to fiddle with her hair for a half hour every day, on top of washing it just so.

I'd also appreciate it if Meyer made her seem like a normal person, and not "I don't have periods, ever. Oh, but I missed one but I'm normally like clockwork I'm pregnant ERMAGAWD."

A little continuity isn't that much to ask.

While we're on the topic of fixing Miss Swan, might I suggest we overhaul her brain? It doesn't seem to be working when she needs to be able to find features of her face, and her personality is so awful.
            User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces