Welcome to Gaia! ::

Manly Man-Lover

Source

I found this while trying to find some nice little fanpieces to tease the Twilight fans in my family. As it stands, my mother enjoys the films and my sister is a moderate fan who has read all four books. I'm reluctant to read the actual book form because... Well, those who know me here know my stance and how far I got in Twilight through one account of mine or this one.

So, here are a few questions I have:
Is "The Host" any better than Twilight? If so, library rental, audiobook, or must- buy book? If not, what elements from the Twilight Series should have Meyer implemented or should she have gone a completely different route than she did in either?

What will make The Host worth watching? Something you look forward to or really not looking forward to seeing? (I don't mind spoilers, but please mind those who do by tagging spoilers)

Is Meyer just grasping straws to milk her pieces or will she inspire a movie that won't be nominated for the Razzies/ top 10 worst movies of the year?

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
This will probably be pretty bad. I think she's milking the cow for all it's worth.

Unsealed Dabbler

I remember it sounding very much like a more twisted version of Twilight, but with body jacking aliens instead of "vampires".

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Tympest
I remember it sounding very much like a more twisted version of Twilight, but with body jacking aliens instead of "vampires".

It is, and I didn't even ever get to reading it all. Imagine Animorphs with shiny graceful Yeerks called Souls, minus the Andelites, Animorphs, and just small groups of humans who resist "But only because they don't understand that they are weak stupid humans who don't know that the souls are only trying to help." She pulls the same crap of trying to make the souls sound appealing and sympathetic, and failing miserably and the whole assault is love thing too. Apparently, Mel fell in love with this dude when she was 16 and he was 26, after he beat her when he didn't know she wasn't one of them and then immediately attacked her with kisses when he could finally verify she wasn't taken by the aliens. I don't actually know much more than that.

Unsealed Dabbler

Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Tympest

It is, and I didn't even ever get to reading it all. Imagine Animorphs with shiny graceful Yeerks called Souls, minus the Andelites, Animorphs, and just small groups of humans who resist "But only because they don't understand that they are weak stupid humans who don't know that the souls are only trying to help." She pulls the same crap of trying to make the souls sound appealing and sympathetic, and failing miserably and the whole assault is love thing too. Apparently, Mel fell in love with this dude when she was 16 and he was 26, after he beat her when he didn't know she wasn't one of them and then immediately attacked her with kisses when he could finally verify she wasn't taken by the aliens. I don't actually know much more than that.
My only answer to that is a flat what.

Also, Melanie Strider, really Meyer?

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
The Host is the worst piece of s**t I have ever had the misfortune in reading.

MY GOD! It was so boring!!! I didn't get pass Chapter 13! AND SOMEHOW I REMEMBER THAT! GAH!!!!!

/rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant

So to answer your question, Rage, it's not worth the lost of Brain Matter or Cells. You're better off just rereading Twilight, and that's saying something.

Manly Man-Lover

Doctor Murdoc Niccals
This will probably be pretty bad. I think she's milking the cow for all it's worth.
I figured so much. I mean, it seems like she kinda dropped off the radar (writing-wise) after Bree Tanner and the Midnight Sun "leak". It almost makes me wonder if she is on a hiatus or gave up. She does have good ideas, just bad execution. And zero concept on how to create an intriguing love triangle that isn't as shallow as a dog's water bowl.

@ NightfallDuet, yikes! Body-swapping/ posession are a couple of the supernatural elements I enjoy too. sad Then again, it is Meyer, so I should have anticipated that. Heck, like you, I remember precisely where I am in the first book of Twilight- page 125 give or take 2 pages. Mostly because I reminded myself frequently after I found out I grabbed Eclipse on accident last year. Fun how that happens. XD

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I sense more fail unless they can have a decent director and actually good effects this time around, but then they can only be as good as the original material.

Manly Man-Lover

Alexander J Luthor
I sense more fail unless they can have a decent director and actually good effects this time around, but then they can only be as good as the original material.
How's Andrew Niccol?

Found myself going straight to her page to get even that info on facebook. And, quelle suprise, no new projects, just changing her established pieces to movies. She seems pretty confident that this movie will do something.

Pretty much. That's a lot of why I've given credit to the movies as a whole. With what they were working with, they came out very good. I remember when I tried to read Twilight for the first time and it was a painstaking task to get past the first chapter. I only made it as far as I did my second attempt by changing my mindset. Then again, it kinda helped that I did things backward- watched the movies first.

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Tympest
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Tympest

I know right? to both of those. We don't get much description of Mel either, just like Bella. But we know she has a rectangular face, brown hair, and eyes, and that her eyes have small wrinkles near them that are especially visible when she squints.

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
TheQuietRiversRage
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
I figured so much. I mean, it seems like she kinda dropped off the radar (writing-wise) after Bree Tanner and the Midnight Sun "leak". It almost makes me wonder if she is on a hiatus or gave up. She does have good ideas, just bad execution. And zero concept on how to create an intriguing love triangle that isn't as shallow as a dog's water bowl.

@ NightfallDuet, yikes! Body-swapping/ posession are a couple of the supernatural elements I enjoy too. sad Then again, it is Meyer, so I should have anticipated that. Heck, like you, I remember precisely where I am in the first book of Twilight- page 125 give or take 2 pages. Mostly because I reminded myself frequently after I found out I grabbed Eclipse on accident last year. Fun how that happens. XD

Yeah, she's bad at scifi too. She tries to be deep and complicated, and all she manages with this is to be boring and confusing.

Unsealed Dabbler

Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Tympest
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Tympest

I know right? to both of those. We don't get much description of Mel either, just like Bella. But we know she has a rectangular face, brown hair, and eyes, and that her eyes have small wrinkles near them that are especially visible when she squints.
She has a definite habit towards self inserts.

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Tympest
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Tympest
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Tympest

She has a definite habit towards self inserts.

No kidding.

Prodigal Mage

If I didn't know the movie was based off of Meyer's work, I'd have been intrigued by the preview. As it is, I'm hoping--since The Host had a fairly decent premise--the movie itself might explore issues Meyer didn't bother to.

Manly Man-Lover

haunting heaven
If I didn't know the movie was based off of Meyer's work, I'd have been intrigued by the preview. As it is, I'm hoping--since The Host had a fairly decent premise--the movie itself might explore issues Meyer didn't bother to.
I am kinda curious of it because I like the synopsis and like I said, she has some really good ideas. I'm just not a fan of the writing execution. And, I kinda like the movies more because it presents the same ideas without going with first person. Sure, they're still cheesy and a bit dull, but with what they had to work with, they were pretty good.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff