Welcome to Gaia! ::

bwahaha

DO IT!! >:D 0.41164241164241 41.2% [ 198 ]
You better update this when you start typing... 0.079002079002079 7.9% [ 38 ]
Don't do it!! We love you! 0.03950103950104 4.0% [ 19 ]
DON'T DO IT!! We love Twilight! 0.085239085239085 8.5% [ 41 ]
...Why are you here? 0.04989604989605 5.0% [ 24 ]
It's a free forum D:< 0.041580041580042 4.2% [ 20 ]
No, I mean, you're surrounded by antis who are making sense of tripe... you sure you want to be here? 0.027027027027027 2.7% [ 13 ]
...TEAM EDWARD!! *runs off* 0.081081081081081 8.1% [ 39 ]
This poll has been whored before I clicked the button! D: 0.18503118503119 18.5% [ 89 ]
Total Votes:[ 481 ]
< 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 44 45 46 > >>

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
supervamp78
Unofficial Leah C
supervamp78
First i said i couldnt even spell it. so obviously i wasn't claiming to be a grammar police.

Second i wasn't delfecting her argument i was pointing it out. it bothered me that she claims to be one but cant spell it.

if you want me to get to the point first off its silly to to say its racist because of that.

that's like me saying that a story about blacks in the ghetto or in a gang, is racist to me. that just seems like it was just something she wanted to add to to the list because she could.

You've also been implying on the other thread that you're fairly well read, yet you come off as pretty illiterate.

Prove why it's silly. Give specifics from the text or from the film.

And there have been articles about some members of the actual Quileute people who aren't happy with their representation in the Twilight books. It's fair enough, given the alterations Meyer made to their history.

PS, when you say 'first off,' we usually expect more than one point. :3

ETA: Sorry for derailing your thread here Alex, but discussions with supervamp are just so fun.

Well the fact that i can read and comprehand what im reading well doesn't have anything to do with my grammar plus they are two different things anyways they go hand and hand but don't have to be effected by each other.

She said she felt offended by the fact that the indians were living in shacks as if myers was trying to say that all indians are poor and live on reservations.

But that's just a silly overreaction. like she was trying to find anything to hate it more.

And i guess you be waiting wont you ; D

What's your problem with me not liking Twilight? A lot of people I've met don't like My Chemical Romance's music, or the book series The Mortal Instruments, but I ignore them and go on liking what I like without calling anybody a 'hater.' They just have different taste than I do. But, I see plenty of reasons why Twilight is a bad book, and I support my opinions rather than just saying "twilight sux." I'm sick of people thinking it's so good, when really, it's not.

Silly?! So if I react to racisim, it's silly? What am I supposed to do, let other people and myself get dragged through the dirt, and be racially profiled? What if somebody told you all black people are stupid? Or do you beleive that? Anyway, that's the same thing. Navive Americans are poor = black people are dumb. I've heard that one, and I hate it when I hear any kind of racisim. It's wrong, and it doesn't matter if a latino person is beign hateful toward white people, or a white person is hateful toward latino people. It is the same thing. Twilight has racisim in it, and I'm not surprised, Meyer is a Mormon. There are other mormon beliefs within the book as well, such as early marriage. Bella is nothing but a mouthpiece for the author's beliefs.

I'm stimply reacting to a negative stereotype that is being proliferated through Twilight.

Please Google Mark Reads Twilight. The blog's archive will be the first result. The author of the blog is a male feminist, and he will also point out the racisim, eliteisim, and homophobia displayed in the books, along with the sexisim. Not to mention Meyer's horrible writing, absence of plot, and lack of decent characterization. If you're to lazy to read the whole thing, or will get all pissed off at it, I will go find the blog posts only about the offensive material in Twilight for you, if you ask.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
supervamp78
Belethiel
supervamp78
Belethiel
supervamp78
Belethiel

You're Native American to? I'm only an 8th, but I have full-blooded realatives, and none of them live on reservations. Yeah, that angered me to. I was thinking, why don't they have any friends who live off the reservation, or why doesn't anybody want to leave it?

Have a few live off of the reservation, like they moved away to get a job elsewhere. :v However, that wouldn't make sense for most of the werewolves.

And there should be female werewolves. Leah is only one because in Meyer's mind, since she can't reproduce, she is less of a woman and more like one of the guys. -_-ll

That reminds me of the sexisim in the books. Get rid of all that crap. Find the Mark Reads Twilight blog, the author is a male femenist and he points all of it out for you. 3nodding

Are you serious, it made you seriously feel that way? yeah thats points towards you being a typical twihater

Uh... yeah. I am female (also a femenist) and I identify myself as Caucasian-Native American. What's wrong with dislikeing a book for completely rational reasons, such as the fact it's offensive?

Twilight is sexist and racist (or at least ignorant). Look deeper into it. Stephanie Meyer can't write plot, there's a bunch of annoying purple prose, Bella is a Mary Sue, and the books are just plain boring and lack any sort of depth other than ~*twu luv*~ conqurs all. Oh, how original. rolleyes All it is is wish fullfillment. I liked vampires before Twilight came along, and I prefer classic vampires. The Meyerpires could at least have freaking FANGS for goodness sake! gonk And just look at Breaking Dawn! That is so bad even fans don't like it as much. (My Twihard english teacher said "I didn't love Breaking Dawn... I only read it once." wink Look at how freaking creepy it is! It also has teenage pregnancy and violent sex in it! Imprinting by the werewolves is creepy to. It makes them into *****. .____. And it just flat-out sucked. Bella has no consequences for having a kid, instead she got what she wanted through it. And the child was perfect, she had no flaws, and she raised herself. Bella didn't do anything to raise Renesmee. It just doesn't make sense!

I like the idea of Twilight, it needs to be re-imagined. What Meyer has here had a lot of potential, I suppose the story just fell into the wrong hands. I'm looking forward to the rewrite.

first off i know this might come off as petty but you can't even spell feminist. i couldn't spell it but im not claiming to be one if i was one id think id remeber. also this might be extra petty but femmes are not great women representives.

and one thing bella was out of school, at the time of her pregancy and she was 18. theres nothing wrong with that lots of people get married and have babies at that time. as long as you aren't having it while in highschool or having it despite you not being able to care for it theres nothing wrong with that.

Sometimes I spell words by the way they sound. At least I use punctuation, and capitalize scentances. :/

Wait, what? Girls can't make good femenists? The majority of them are! And I have great respect for men who look into the sociological theory, and join the femenist movement.

Actually, there's a lot wrong with getting married out of high school, then having a baby shortly afterward. If you have a child at the age of 18, going to college is going to be just as difficult as going to high school with a baby, perhaps even harder.

I know Bella is a vampire now, but it's all in the messege it's telling girls. "Get married, make babies for your husband, don't go to school because you can't or you don't have to (can't because you're a girl, and don't have to because your husband will support you)." Just look at it. Take away the perfectness and the vampires, and Bella would be left with a pretty sorry life with an abuseive husband and no real future. Face it, if Edward wasn't a vampire, it would just be a story about a dumb, easily manipulated girl who fell in love with an asshat.

The reason why I'm saying Twilight is racist is because Native Americans are portrayed in a stereotypical way, in fact, I wasn't aware they lived in shacks. :/ That's just in the movies, or I forgot the description of the Quilleute reservation.

@ Alexander- Sparkles just take away from what a vampire is: a creature of the night, or the dark. I like it better when they have stay out of sunlight. But I can see why that wouldn't work with Twilight. -o- My way of working around the sparklepire things is like the most golden thing ever thought of, and I will not share it, I'm going to use it for my own re-write.

And ugh.... just ditch the whole imprinting thing. >.< It's gross, and it doesn't really leave the imprintee a choice for a mate.

no i was saying because your a feminist it makes you less umm creidable. and again you are responding to me so my grammar hardly matters.

And it is easier if your going to college, because well there are many options for college some might hvae aday care,some might let you take classes at night, theres even colleges you take online so its alot easier then having it in highschool.

and if thats what you got out of that ive lost all my respect for you and feminist.

Being a feminist makes me less creditable, how? It simply means I believe in the equality of men and women, and will work toward that idea of equality to be widely accepted. :l That would only make me less creditable to a man that would say "Huurrr dhurr, ur just a weak women. Go make me a sammich."

No, I know people who have had children at a young age and it is not easy. All but one of my aquantances dropped out of school, and the one who's still there is an extremely determined person with a dream plan for her future. And I respect her for that, she is an anomally in the statistics. And you can't earn a doctorate degree online. Online courses can't give you everything. What if someone dreamed of being a scientist, or another advanced, complicated career that involved a lot of specialized training? A kid can mess up those dreams.

And day care costs money most teenagers don't have. Especially in the economy of today. Adults are more likely to be hired than teenagers, so they get all of the limited jobs.

About the grammar: I can hardly understand you, but I get the idea of what you're saying.

Keep up the 'arguement'. This is fun. :3

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
supervamp78
no i was saying because your a feminist it makes you less umm creidable. and again you are responding to me so my grammar hardly matters.

And it is easier if your going to college, because well there are many options for college some might hvae aday care,some might let you take classes at night, theres even colleges you take online so its alot easier then having it in highschool.

and if thats what you got out of that ive lost all my respect for you and feminist.

I'm going to have to ask you to leave my thread now.

I don't give a damn if you like Twilight or not. To say you have no respect for the feminist movement because you disagree with what someone else is telling you is pathetic and outraging, and I won't stand for it here. Anyone who is going to debase the struggles gender and race equality like this is not welcome in my conversations.
Unofficial Leah C
supervamp78
because well there is no sexism in that book.

Excpet for that pretty major example that I just gave you, of course?

Quote:
and what? when did i say that sexism is hard to spell?

I was referring to your comment on feminism, which was directly related to the whole sexism issue.
Quote:
i say it says that your overreacting.

It's an overreaction to be confused and mildly appalled at the idea of infertile women not being 'real' women?
As a woman, I'm pretty put off by the idea that the functionality of my ovaries is all that defines my womanhood

yeah that example isnt a good one.

and no it wasn't related to it. at all the only reason the feminism was talked about because she said she was one. i didnt even consider sexism a good arugment in this case.

and again overreaction.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Belethiel
Keep up the 'arguement'. This is fun. :3

Sorry, but I'm asking her to leave now. You can continue in another place if you'd like, it's just not going to be here.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
supervamp78
Unofficial Leah C
supervamp78

Quote:

I was referring to your comment on feminism, which was directly related to the whole sexism issue.
Quote:

It's an overreaction to be confused and mildly appalled at the idea of infertile women not being 'real' women?
As a woman, I'm pretty put off by the idea that the functionality of my ovaries is all that defines my womanhood

and no it wasn't related to it. at all the only reason the feminism was talked about because she said she was one. i didnt even consider sexism a good arugment in this case.

and again overreaction.

No, it is a good example.

Sexisim in chapter 16 is blatant. There are other examples found throughout the series.

Sorry Alexander, I know you want her to leave, but I wanted her to see that.

ALL HAIL MARK! He's like the god of the antis. :3
Alexander J Luthor
supervamp78

I'm going to have to ask you to leave my thread now.

I don't give a damn if you like Twilight or not. To say you have no respect for the feminist movement because you disagree with what someone else is telling you is pathetic and outraging, and I won't stand for it here. Anyone who is going to debase the struggles gender and race equality like this is not welcome in my conversations.

yes because saying you hate one group, out of the many others fighting for the same thing. means hate all gender and race equaility struggles despite me being a woman and black. and anyways feminist are alot different then they were back then. and then you take it seriously? as if i really do hate it says alot about you.
Belethiel
supervamp78
Unofficial Leah C
supervamp78

Quote:

Quote:

and again overreaction.

Sexisim in chapter 16 is blatant. There are other examples found throughout the series.

yeah no thats not a good source. is this the kind of sources you people get your information from. if you dont mind me ill stick to wiki.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
supervamp78
yes because saying you hate one group, out of the many others fighting for the same thing. means hate all gender and race equaility struggles despite me being a woman and black. and anyways feminist are alot different then they were back then. and then you take it seriously? as if i really do hate it says alot about you.

1. Learn how to ******** spell. I am sick of re-reading your shitty posts just to see what you're saying.

2.I never said you hated them, idiot. I never used the word "hate" in that post at all.

3. I don't care if you're a black woman. You're black. You're a woman. WHO GIVES A ********? Expecting me to treat you any more or less than I am now because of this stunning revelation is stupid.

4. I want you out of my thread because you're giving bullshit responses after others have given you proof of sexism, racism, and other very real prejudices in Twilight, then you have the nerve to say you don't respect a group action because of what just one person has said.

5. You're not impressed by my behavior? I could paint a picture of you.

6. Answer this if you want, but after, I expect you to get the ******** out. I'll have none of this bullshit here.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
supervamp78
Belethiel
supervamp78
Unofficial Leah C
supervamp78

Quote:

Quote:

and again overreaction.

yeah no thats not a good source. is this the kind of sources you people get your information from. if you dont mind me ill stick to wiki.

No, it is a good source. The author is doing exactly what we were taught to do in High School English class when writing and essay, or a research paper. Cite your sources, and support your opinion. Who cares if he swears a lot, and spazzes out? Mark got his point accross efficiantly, and it was interesting to read.

And since when was Wikipedia a good example of a source? I can't tell if you're a troll, or just stupid now. lol

And if you're black and a woman, why aren't you offended by Twilight's content? Don't you find it strange there are no black people in the story, and vampirisim makes you white?

Er... I'm sorry for keeping her here Alexander, you can just add her to your ignore list so you don't have to see her posts. ._.
Alexander J Luthor
supervamp78

1. Learn how to ******** spell. I am sick of re-reading your shitty posts just to see what you're saying.

2.I never said you hated them, idiot. I never used the word "hate" in that post at all.

3. I don't care if you're a black woman. You're black. You're a woman. WHO GIVES A ********? Expecting me to treat you any more or less than I am now because of this stunning revelation is stupid.

4. I want you out of my thread because you're giving bullshit responses after others have given you proof of sexism, racism, and other very real prejudices in Twilight, then you have the nerve to say you don't respect a group action because of what just one person has said.

5. You're not impressed by my behavior? I could paint a picture of you.

6. Answer this if you want, but after, I expect you to get the ******** out. I'll have none of this bullshit here.

1. dont read my post.
2. you said i dispised it.
3.i didn't say it to try to change your opinion of me
4. yeah what proof was that that site? and also you have the nerve to take things way to seriously and blow them up
5. 3nodding i like pictures
6.U mad bro.

7. your pretty senitive for a boy.
supervamp78

and again overreaction.

The feminism came up because she was talking about how she's a feminist and bothered by the sexism in Twilight. That's a pretty close connection.

Prove how my example is not good.
Prove how my being bothered by it is an overreaction.
This is how you discuss. Saying a thing doesn't make it true. Don't just say I'm wrong. Prove me wrong. Because until you do, I will continue to be affronted by Meyer saying that women who can't have babies are less of women than those who can.
Belethiel
supervamp78
Belethiel
supervamp78
Unofficial Leah C

and again overreaction.

No, it is a good source. The author is doing exactly what we were taught to do in High School English class when writing and essay, or a research paper. Cite your sources, and support your opinion. Who cares if he swears a lot, and spazzes out? Mark got his point accross efficiantly, and it was interesting to read.

And since when was Wikipedia a good example of a source? I can't tell if you're a troll, or just stupid now. lol

And if you're black and a woman, why aren't you offended by Twilight's content? Don't you find it strange there are no black people in the story, and vampirisim makes you white?

Er... I'm sorry for keeping her here Alexander, you can just add her to your ignore list so you don't have to see her posts. ._.

i cant tell if your a troll for seriously using that link as a creidtable answer. he posted like what three one lines then a paragraph. not even the whole chapter.

no i don't because im not a ******** butthurt person who trys to find racism and sexism in a story where it isnt.
Unofficial Leah C
supervamp78

and again overreaction.

The feminism came up because she was talking about how she's a feminist and bothered by the sexism in Twilight. That's a pretty close connection.

Prove how my example is not good.
Prove how my being bothered by it is an overreaction.
This is how you discuss. Saying a thing doesn't make it true. Don't just say I'm wrong. Prove me wrong. Because until you do, I will continue to be affronted by Meyer saying that women who can't have babies are less of women than those who can.

i didnt see the sexism thing untill i got done commenting on the feminism honestly i though she was on about racism.

Well first off i read what happened and from my stand point you took out of proportion.
supervamp78
i cant tell if your a troll for seriously using that link as a creidtable answer. he posted like what three one lines then a paragraph. not even the whole chapter.

no i don't because im not a ******** butthurt person who trys to find racism and sexism in a story where it isnt.

That link contains direct references to the text. In that sense, it is more credible than even you have been so far in this discussion.

But let me pull those 'three one lines,' and you tell me how they're not sexist.

"...she'd realized that her body wasn't following normal patterns anymore. The horror--what was she now?"

"Or had she become a werewolf because her body was wrong?"

"The only female werewolf in the history of forever. Was that because she wasn't as female as she should be?"

Emphasis was my own of course, but these are direct from the book. It all boils down to the fact that Leah can't reproduce, and is therefore not fully or wholly a woman. She's defining sexuality not even by genetics but reproductive capability.
Prove this wrong.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces