Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm sure everyone's heard of Fifty Shades of Grey by now, but it turns out that it's the most popular of many published Twilight fan fics.

Apparently, Meyer doesn't mind. But what do you fans and antis think?

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
caligulasAquarium

I think as long as Meyer gets a piece of it, she won't really care.

Still, while I am glad that people are inspired enough to write for themselves, I just hope that they're more professional about it than Meyer was/is.

I also hope they'll expand beyond fanfiction, and maybe write something original.

Then there's the whole thing about it being fanfiction. That doesn't really seem fair that they get to piggyback the success of another writer like that, does it?
            User Image
Minerva de Sade
caligulasAquarium

I think as long as Meyer gets a piece of it, she won't really care.

Still, while I am glad that people are inspired enough to write for themselves, I just hope that they're more professional about it than Meyer was/is.

I also hope they'll expand beyond fanfiction, and maybe write something original.

Then there's the whole thing about it being fanfiction. That doesn't really seem fair that they get to piggyback the success of another writer like that, does it?
            User Image

I think all Meyer is getting out of it is her name in the news a bit more because Grey is advertised as Twilight fan fiction.

That's true.

That's my hope too. Lift a few favorite themes/character interpretations/settings from your fics if you want, but don't take the whole thing and scratch out the names.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
It's kind of like stealing, and it's certainly piggybacking. I believe that if you can't come up with something original, you shouldn't be a writer. It's not fair to the people who work harder than you.

All fan fiction should be is an exercisize in character consistency, but not enough writers even try to do that, preferring their own interpretations than the original writer's. I think it should stay that way.

If I get published, I wouldn't want people to write and published their stuff that is based off of my work. I would rage so hard, and then I would sue the "author's" pants off.

I think that if she knew of the canon defilement she would be upset. I think Edward was far too old-fashioned to be into BDSM, or pre-marital sex at all.

Also, she really sounds like a teenager, and I am still at a loss about how she can even like The Hunger Games. .___. I'll bet she doesn't even know the point of the book and all she sees is Katniss, Peeta, and Gale.
Belethiel
It's kind of like stealing, and it's certainly piggybacking. I believe that if you can't come up with something original, you shouldn't be a writer. It's not fair to the people who work harder than you.

All fan fiction should be is an exercisize in character consistency, but not enough writers even try to do that, preferring their own interpretations than the original writer's. I think it should stay that way.

If I get published, I wouldn't want people to write and published their stuff that is based off of my work. I would rage so hard, and then I would sue the "author's" pants off.

I think that if she knew of the canon defilement she would be upset. I think Edward was far too old-fashioned to be into BDSM, or pre-marital sex at all.

Also, she really sounds like a teenager, and I am still at a loss about how she can even like The Hunger Games. .___. I'll bet she doesn't even know the point of the book and all she sees is Katniss, Peeta, and Gale.

I think of fan fiction (and fan art) as a way to show your love for something as well experiment with your own style.

I'd do the same if I got published. Write all the fan fiction you want, try to publish it and you better have a lawyer handy.

I agree with you that Edward's value's were kicked to the curb by James, but given Meyer's issues with character consistency (as well as not being allowed to read it due to the rules of Mormonism) she won't notice.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Mage Luna
Belethiel

I think of fan fiction (and fan art) as a way to show your love for something as well experiment with your own style.

I'd do the same if I got published. Write all the fan fiction you want, try to publish it and you better have a lawyer handy.

I agree with you that Edward's value's were kicked to the curb by James, but given Meyer's issues with character consistency (as well as not being allowed to read it due to the rules of Mormonism) she won't notice.

Yeah, that too.

That's too bad she can't make one exception. You think she would be interested in defending her pwecious Eddykins. I would love to see her lash out and cause an author fight. emotion_dowant In this case, she would win because she is the better writer. They're both terrible, but at least Meyer made something original. Cliched, but original.

Prodigal Mage

Honestly, I think on some level it depends on the fanfiction. Some stories evolve into something so different from the original that a little name changing is really all that's needed. However, if the fanfic author achieved her/his fame with the fanfic, it becomes morally questionable to me. James gained her readers to begin with because she was writing Twilight fanfiction. If she started out with the exact same story without the Twilight fandom backing her? I doubt she would have anywhere near the amount of success she has gotten. She took advantage of Meyer's fame to promote her own story, and that's what really strikes me as wrong. Of course, I haven't read the book, so I have no idea how similar its content is to Twilight, but what I'm saying is, even if it was one of those stories that ends up being its own entity, I wouldn't support this woman. If, however, she wrote the story as fanfiction, then ended up publishing it before she had a following... I might be more okay with that.
@Bele
True, hypothetically, she may be able to have someone else read it for her (like someone she works with on the movies who isn't Mormon) and ask about how her characters are treated. But I don't think she'd do anything.

@Heaven
I've been reading through the list, some of them it's easy to pick out who was which Twilight character (and with several I could pick the event where they diverged from Twilight- usually after the break up) others I wouldn't be able to guess were Twilight fan fics (I actually might read 12.21.12 and Black and White).

I've read the sporking. You can pinpoint exact scenes and characters from Twilight. The entire thing is piggy backed from Meyer's work. All she added was BDSM.

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Meyer's just loving the attention her work is getting so it's expected that she doesn't mind that this is happening.
While I support people writing Fanfiction as a hobby, it shouldn't be the basis of one's career. If you want to be a writer, come up with something original and unique. If you just repeat what someone else has done, then you're just copying off of them.

@Bele: We don't know Meyer's interpretation of The Hunger Games. For all we know, she could have liked the violence and the corrupted views that were presented within the series.

But then again, she might have just focused on the romance and hoped that Katinss would be happily married with kids.

I don't know. I give up on guessing what she thinks.

Prodigal Mage

Mage Luna
I've read the sporking. You can pinpoint exact scenes and characters from Twilight. The entire thing is piggy backed from Meyer's work. All she added was BDSM.

In that case, it isn't defensible on any level, and James should crawl back into whatever hole she came out of.

I'm actually really surprised Meyer is okay with this. I would have thought, what with her being Mormon, she would take offense to the fact that someone published a nasty bit of fanfiction that essentially perverts her work in truly awful ways.
@Duet
Based on the quotes from her about the book, I believe she's more interested in the guys than the violence or themes.

@Heaven
If only she'd crawl back in.

We're all surprised Meyer is okay with this.
Belethiel

There's arguments that no writing is original.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
LooKat
Belethiel

Well, of course it isn't. Not in the bare elements. It's all in how you play your tropes and archetypes that makes your work completely different. I find that view to be too cynical, really, and it shouldn't be used to justify writing that has been ripped off from another source.
Belethiel
LooKat
Belethiel

Well, of course it isn't. Not in the bare elements. It's all in how you play your tropes and archetypes that makes your work completely different. I find that view to be too cynical, really, and it shouldn't be used to justify writing that has been ripped off from another source.

Maybe you are right.

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Mage Luna
@Duet
Based on the quotes from her about the book, I believe she's more interested in the guys than the violence or themes.

Right...I mean in the books Gale's supposed to be a charmer and quite handsome, Peeta's just the all around cute baker's son, and Finnick (I love him; he's so funny. xD) is supposed to be everyone's dreamboat and superstar of the Tributes. But he admits he's only doing it because they're forcing him to do such a thing because of Annie and the death/killing threats that are against them. sad Poor Finnick. I wanted to give him a hug.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff