Welcome to Gaia! ::

...as a plot device.

I was flipping through fan-fiction just now, for shits and giggles. Specifically I was looking for any good Leah-centric fics. Probably every third one involves Leah imprinting and going on to a happy-sappy Babies Ever After ending. The rest all seem to be Blackwater 'ships, or stories of Leah being pissy and disagreeable. The closest any of them get to actually addressing Leah's issues or attempting to resolve them is imprinting.

I feel like imprinting is just a means of ignoring the problem rather than resolving it. Aside from its questionable morality, it's just bad writing. Kind of akin to deus ex machina, but not exactly the same.
I mean really, finding 'true love' doesn't actually make Leah's situation any better. She's still facing the stigma of being the 'girly wolf,' still aware of the fact that her favorite cousin is marrying the man who mauled her, and nothing can change the fact that her phasing is what set of her father's heart attack. The only difference is that she doesn't care, because she can't care, because nothing matters except her 'soul mate.' Ignoring problems doesn't fix them.

Anyway. Thoughts?

Divorced Divorcee

6,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Imprinting is shameful.

Either the imprintee gets hurt in the process, or the imprinter.

Its a lose lose situation, no one has a real choice... either you accept him as a stalker or your forced mate.

(im hoping leah and jake end up together, that would be the truest of loves)

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Would you like me to write you a fanfic? D: Despite my utter loathing of this series? Cause I'll totally do it! *ties on writing head tie (mickey mouse tie he's had since the first grade)* ;D

6,050 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Alexander J Luthor
Would you like me to write you a fanfic? D: Despite my utter loathing of this series? Cause I'll totally do it! *ties on writing head tie (mickey mouse tie he's had since the first grade)* ;D

neutral

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Imprinting as a plot device, to me, seems risky. What is it showing or giving us as a plot device? It's only showing the potential for who's going to be who's mate.

Unless there was a legit reason, it just seems wrong.

In Leah's case, it's not going to help her get over the betrayal of Emily and Sam. People can move on from that but it leaves a heavy scar on someone. sad I can't help but feel bad for the girl. I've been betrayed by my friend who left me because supposely I was too clingy to her. It was hard and I was utterly pissed but I've gotten over it and she's nothing to me now.

But going back to Twilight, this whole series glorifies the "True Love" relationship as if it's the only thing keeping anyone together. You have to be with someone or else you're doomed. Being single is a "no-no". Here's a newsflash, Meyer: Being single is not a bad thing. There are happily single people outthere who enjoy their lives and don't really care about being in a relationship unless they choose to.

Twihards won't realize this, that woman wouldn't give it a second thought, and the series is made for the toilet.
Alexander J Luthor

Hey, people who dislike the series understand it best. :3
It's okay though. I'm working on a nice canonical fic detailing the slow descent into social-emotional hell. It's a good time.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Unofficial Leah C
Alexander J Luthor

Hey, people who dislike the series understand it best. :3
It's okay though. I'm working on a nice canonical fic detailing the slow descent into social-emotional hell. It's a good time.

*gasp* do your friends in the TsF get to readt it? :3
I was thinking of this insane crossover fic with you in it. I think it would be really cool if you went to college and met another shapeshifter there (picture a Glinda/Elphaba type of relationship from Wicked).
Alexander J Luthor
*gasp* do your friends in the TsF get to read it? :3

Naturally. ;3

sarcastichick - That would be a wild time.
It would be kind of fun to develop a relationship like that between 'Smee and me. She's gonna grow up to be this pretty little princess, used to having everyone around her love her instantly and unconditionally... except for me.
Unofficial Leah C
Alexander J Luthor
*gasp* do your friends in the TsF get to read it? :3

Naturally. ;3

sarcastichick - That would be a wild time.
It would be kind of fun to develop a relationship like that between 'Smee and me. She's gonna grow up to be this pretty little princess, used to having everyone around her love her instantly and unconditionally... except for me.
So while everyone else is treating her like a speshul snoflake you'll be like a real big sister to her. I like biggrin
I'm thinking that there's actually a large shifter population in European cities (mostly Paris and London). The Volturi know about them but are to intimidated to do anything.
Nessie is Jacob's sex slave forever.
Longcat is fine too
Nessie is Jacob's sex slave forever.
Other way around.

7,550 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Leah has always confused me as a character. I can never get a grip on where she's coming from. It seems like Stephanie Meyer just kinda threw the book on angst at her. It doesn't help that I've never particularly liked her-she seems a little, I don't know. Maybe I just never got over the fact that if I was the only chick werewolf in that clan, I would be so much more cheerful.
DelicateMisery
Imprinting as a plot device, to me, seems risky. What is it showing or giving us as a plot device? It's only showing the potential for who's going to be who's mate.

Unless there was a legit reason, it just seems wrong.

In Leah's case, it's not going to help her get over the betrayal of Emily and Sam. People can move on from that but it leaves a heavy scar on someone. sad I can't help but feel bad for the girl. I've been betrayed by my friend who left me because supposely I was too clingy to her. It was hard and I was utterly pissed but I've gotten over it and she's nothing to me now.

But going back to Twilight, this whole series glorifies the "True Love" relationship as if it's the only thing keeping anyone together. You have to be with someone or else you're doomed. Being single is a "no-no". Here's a newsflash, Meyer: Being single is not a bad thing. There are happily single people outthere who enjoy their lives and don't really care about being in a relationship unless they choose to.

Twihards won't realize this, that woman wouldn't give it a second thought, and the series is made for the toilet.

Look at what happened to Jacob - when he imprinted, all the bitterness he allegedly felt about Bella was gone. 'Smee became the very center of the universe and nothing else mattered anymore. He didn't feel bad about Bella, nor was he uncomfortable about being around Wardo. This is how imprinting works: all your personal hardships and emotions are eliminated so that you can solely concentrate on the person you've imprinted on.

So, if Leah was to imprint, in Meyerverse it would mean that she would just forget all about how she suffered over Emily and Sam. None of that would matter anymore, because wohoo, now she has the ultimate love! That way, it would be a plot device indeed. Just like it was for Jacob to get over Bella with minimal attempts on his own part.

I think imprinting is just one big plot device. By it, Meyer doesn't have to actually write these people falling for each other. She can just make it happen instantly and still assure that it is much better than what humans (who need to actually get to know the people they're with and work for their relationships) could ever possibly have. Minimal work, maximum gain.

As a character, Leah doesn't need this. Meyer seems to think it's serves Leah right that she wouldn't imprint and have her own happy ending, but I'm actually happy that she never got paired up. In my opinion that would just have watered her down and made her the same as Emily or Bella - a brainless hack whose life revolves around her man. What she needs is not a man, but a bunch of friends who actually understand and symphatize with her.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff