Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quick response: Did you learn anything from Twilight?

Yes, I did. C: 0.23529411764706 23.5% [ 8 ]
Nah, not really. :| 0.17647058823529 17.6% [ 6 ]
Does it matter? Twilight's awesome! O:< 0.14705882352941 14.7% [ 5 ]
Pfft, as if, Twilight's horrible 0.44117647058824 44.1% [ 15 ]
Total Votes:[ 34 ]
1 2 >

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Hey there~ :]
I've been doing some putzing around the Interwebz lately, you know, just killing time and I began wondering about the 'why' behind the Twilight obsession. I figured than rather than reading articles or crazy fangirl comments that didn't really answer my questions, I'd come to you guys, my awesome fellow Gaians, for a little insight.

Some back story for ya: I read the books in high school and to be honest, they were my mindless pleasures; nothing I could really relate to, but rather a cool, fun daydream. Kinda like Seventeen magazine. :] There were things I didn't like and things I outright laughed at, but overall, it was a pretty entertaining experience. The first and third books are my favorites. Slept through most of the second (because, honestly, we all knew Jacob didn't stand a chance. He doesn't sparkle after all...) and kinda breezed through the last one with a "What the hell?" expression on my face. And then the ending, oh the ending...

But getting passed that^

I wanted to know: Did you learn anything from the Twilight series?

I personally believe that not everything has to teach you some great, profound moral lesson, or get you to go out and aspire to be -cheesy voice- the best 'you' you can be but again, I'm just curious.
Thanks.
xoxo

Friendly Explorer

6,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Market Browser 100
Alma Noxx

I wanted to know: Did you learn anything from the Twilight series?

I personally believe that not everything has to teach you some great, profound moral lesson, or get you to go out and aspire to be -cheesy voice- the best 'you' you can be but again, I'm just curious.
Thanks.
xoxo

^ I agree. Though, I think what you can take away from twilight kind of depends on your personal interpretation. A lot of people berate Bella because she's not the feminist heroine, but she still has some noteworthy qualities. For one, she definitely has perseverance, not to mention courage and strength for all the things that happen to her (especially breaking dawn hmm?). And when it comes to Edward, It shows the value of selflessness and the destruction and shame of selfishness. And theres also the whole "waiting until marriage for sex" thing.

Regardless, I enjoyed them, morals or not. (:
Yeah I learned something, don't be a clingy little mary-sue who'll let a guy abuse me.

Hot Exhibitionist

9,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Autobiographer 200
I learned that haters gonna hate.
Edward is hot heart
What I learned in Twilight 101 today was; YOU SEE THIS?! YOU SEE HER?! DON'T BE HER! YOU SEE THESE TWO GUYS?! DON'T GO FOR GUYS LIKE THIS! YOU SEE ALL OF THAT?! DON'T DO THAT!

Positive things I've learned: Words that I didn't know but I know I'll never use. What 17 year old uses the words like 'irrevocable' or 'scintillating' ? It was like reading Bella with the mind of a 34 or 40 year old but she had the body of a 17 year old. :/
I learned that even if your significant other is supposedly "sterile", condoms are always a good idea!
Astra Ironwolf
I learned that even if your significant other is supposedly "sterile", condoms are always a good idea!
(Assuming that you mean this in a not sarcastic way...) Condoms are always a good idea even if you can't get pregnant. neutral
MuffinTheOrphan
Astra Ironwolf
(Assuming that you mean this in a not sarcastic way...) Condoms are always a good idea even if you can't get pregnant. neutral

I'm just saying that one Trojan would have solved ALL of the problems in Breaking Dawn!
Astra Ironwolf
MuffinTheOrphan
Astra Ironwolf

I'm just saying that one Trojan would have solved ALL of the problems in Breaking Dawn!
True, fewer problems would've been around if a condom was used but but no condom would've been needed seeing as logically he wasn't able to get it up.
MuffinTheOrphan
Astra Ironwolf
MuffinTheOrphan
Astra Ironwolf

True, fewer problems would've been around if a condom was used but but no condom would've been needed seeing as logically he wasn't able to get it up.

Even if you suspend your disbelief and suppose that vampires can get erections, Edward had EVERY reason to wear a condom. I mean, a) If he doesn't, there's a chance that his venom will infect Bella. b) Condoms tend to desensitize guys, which is a good thing for Edward given his concerns about hurting Bella.
Astra Ironwolf
MuffinTheOrphan
Astra Ironwolf
MuffinTheOrphan
Astra Ironwolf

Even if you suspend your disbelief and suppose that vampires can get erections, Edward had EVERY reason to wear a condom. I mean, a) If he doesn't, there's a chance that his venom will infect Bella. b) Condoms tend to desensitize guys, which is a good thing for Edward given his concerns about hurting Bella.
That's just the thing, I can't suspend my disbelief that he can get an erection. He has no heart beat or blood and even then, he has no heart beat to make the venom circulate.

A) His venom should have turned Bella. Venom doesn't carry DNA, it carries poison.
B) He hurt her anyway, and a condom would've just been melted by his.....pre venom anyway.
MuffinTheOrphan
Astra Ironwolf
MuffinTheOrphan
Astra Ironwolf
MuffinTheOrphan
Astra Ironwolf

That's just the thing, I can't suspend my disbelief that he can get an erection. He has no heart beat or blood and even then, he has no heart beat to make the venom circulate.

A) His venom should have turned Bella. Venom doesn't carry DNA, it carries poison.
B) He hurt her anyway, and a condom would've just been melted by his.....pre venom anyway.

Accepting the basic premise of vampirism means accepting that a human being can die and then reanimate with an unquenchable bloodlust. What's the harm in stretching that a bit further and letting vampires have erections?
Also, couple of thoughts:
a) It's mentioned in Breaking Dawn that the venom takes some time to dissolve Bella's contact lenses, so, hypothetically, as long as Edward pulled off the condom really quickly post-climax, it wouldn't have melted.
b) CANNOT believe I'm giving this so much thought
c) Meyer REALLY should have stayed away from explaining vampire biology. All of this venom nonsense takes an already unbelievable situation and puts it solidly in the realm of ridiculousness.
Astra Ironwolf
Accepting the basic premise of vampirism means accepting that a human being can die and then reanimate with an unquenchable bloodlust. What's the harm in stretching that a bit further and letting vampires have erections?
Also, couple of thoughts:
a) It's mentioned in Breaking Dawn that the venom takes some time to dissolve Bella's contact lenses, so, hypothetically, as long as Edward pulled off the condom really quickly post-climax, it wouldn't have melted.
b) CANNOT believe I'm giving this so much thought
c) Meyer REALLY should have stayed away from explaining vampire biology. All of this venom nonsense takes an already unbelievable situation and puts it solidly in the realm of ridiculousness.
The harm in it is that it contradicts with what Meyer has said about her vampires. Her vampires are based on science. Scientifically speaking, Edward shouldn't have an erection and the Cullens shouldn't be able to have sex. No heart beat, no blood, no erections. It's not vampires in general, it's just hers.

A) The time never being mentioned, 'some time' could mean any amount of time. That means nothing in this case since he didn't use a condom. His venom should have turned her, not impregnated her. You arguing this point would have to imply that they DID use a condom, which they didn't.

C) Yes, she should have. She did no more research than what Bella did and because she tried to explain her vampires with science, she completely messed up. Scientifically speaking, if what she said about her vampires is true then no vampires would exist in the series because they would've shattered.
Astra Ironwolf
But does it protect Bella's uterus from being destroy by Edward's destructive sparkling p***s?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff