Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rhianna's Husband

Brief background.

Never was really into anime growing up, but as I've aged, I've started to get more into it and I'm trying to find some good ones to try. The only ones I watched as a kid were Robotech and Samurai Pizza Cats.

The first one I watched that was true anime was Cowboy Bebop, recommended by a friend of mine. I watched it and it wasn't bad. Then I decided to expand and see what else I could find.

After that, I took recommendations for others to find:

- Guyver (all incarnations - very interesting)
- FLCL (really odd)
- Claymore (halfway through the series and I really enjoy it)
- Trigun (waiting in the weeds)

Any more suggestions for things I should try?

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
I typically suggest that people start with anime from genres that reflect the kind of stuff they'd look for in other forms of media. it's worked to help me get people I know into anime (either to keep them from talking about me "wasting time and money" on it or because they were curious about it). so I typically like to know what kinds of TV series and movies people watch and what kinds of books they prefer before giving recommendations.

Rhianna's Husband

Mugetsu Ookamiza
I typically suggest that people start with anime from genres that reflect the kind of stuff they'd look for in other forms of media. it's worked to help me get people I know into anime (either to keep them from talking about me "wasting time and money" on it or because they were curious about it). so I typically like to know what kinds of TV series and movies people watch and what kinds of books they prefer before giving recommendations.

Therein lies some of the problem. I don't really know where to begin looking for that. My tastes are all over the place. Mythology, zombies, horror, sci-fi, giant robots, explosions... and sometimes the just plain odd and goofy. That's why I felt myself intrigued but confused by FLCL.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
zach8270
Mugetsu Ookamiza

Therein lies some of the problem. I don't really know where to begin looking for that. My tastes are all over the place. Mythology, zombies, horror, sci-fi, giant robots, explosions... and sometimes the just plain odd and goofy. That's why I felt myself intrigued but confused by FLCL.
that can make it kind of hard to start out, but I think I can give at least some suggestions

Evangelion (sci-fi, giant robots, and all that and references to Judeochristian mythology and mysticism)
Coyote Ragtime Show (sci-fi, explosions)
Full Metal Panic (sci-fi, giant robots, and lots of fun, especially if you watch Fumoffu, which was released between season one and season two proper)
Boogiepop Phantom (horror, mystery)
Master of Mosquiton (horror/comedy, an older series but it's an intentionally corny humorous romp with horror aspects, fun to watch with others or while drinking if you're old enough to)
Shinesman (an amusingly odd parody of anime and sentai series)
Scrapped Princess (sci-fi masquerading as fantasy, highly underrated but most of the people I know who watched it loved it)

and if you have any interest in fantasy, then Moribito, Twelve Kingdoms, and Kemono no Souja Erin are great watches (don't let the last one fool you if you decide to check it out, it seems really childish at first, but about 7 eps in you get a wham ep that shows you there's more to it than what there first seems to be).

I could probably come up with a few more ideas, but too many may give you too many to chose from.

Rhianna's Husband

Mugetsu Ookamiza
that can make it kind of hard to start out, but I think I can give at least some suggestions

Evangelion (sci-fi, giant robots, and all that and references to Judeochristian mythology and mysticism)
Coyote Ragtime Show (sci-fi, explosions)
Full Metal Panic (sci-fi, giant robots, and lots of fun, especially if you watch Fumoffu, which was released between season one and season two proper)
Boogiepop Phantom (horror, mystery)
Master of Mosquiton (horror/comedy, an older series but it's an intentionally corny humorous romp with horror aspects, fun to watch with others or while drinking if you're old enough to)
Shinesman (an amusingly odd parody of anime and sentai series)
Scrapped Princess (sci-fi masquerading as fantasy, highly underrated but most of the people I know who watched it loved it)

and if you have any interest in fantasy, then Moribito, Twelve Kingdoms, and Kemono no Souja Erin are great watches (don't let the last one fool you if you decide to check it out, it seems really childish at first, but about 7 eps in you get a wham ep that shows you there's more to it than what there first seems to be).

I could probably come up with a few more ideas, but too many may give you too many to chose from.

Excellent. That's a great start. I find most things go better with drinking, but anime sometimes gets a little freaky. I'll give a few of these a try. Always looking to expand my horizons. Thanks!

4,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Trader 100
I too just recently started watching different anime series and I didn't quite know where to start either. I had previous recommendations, so I decided to start there. More mainstream ones such as pokemon, and digimon are a given. After that I watched the Avatar the Last Airbender, and I actually got hooked. Then started up Death Note, and that really got me hooked on the whole anime scene. I've recently began to watch Soul Eater and Blue Exorcist. Both great so far. Anyways, good luck with your search.

ninja

Gurunjiru's Widow

Demonic Fairy

14,950 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Jolly Roger 50
Some popular ones are Bleach, Naruto, Naruto Shippuuden, Death Note, and One Piece.
Myself, I love One Piece, FullMetal Alchemist, Code Geass, and Hell Girl (really wish they would continue dubbing that! DX )
1 .Death Note (supernatural, thriller, suspense, psychological)

2. Mirai Nikki/Future Diary (Action, thriller, suspense, psychological)

3. The Gundam Series: Gundam Wing, Gundam00, G Gundam, Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny (there's a lot more gundam shows, but these were some of them that I watched and love: action, romance, scifi, robots, explosions)

4. Blood Plus (Action, Blood, Drama)

5. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (Blood, pschological, viloence)

6. Fulmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (Scifi, cyber punk, action)
Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Not a lot of people talk about it but it's a good anime. The manga is very good as well.
WOOOOOOO!!!! Trigun rox! blaugh
vandread-space, robots and total comedy!
dgray man-popular, weapons, adventure, action
skip beat-comedy, acting
jing king of bandits-theft, adventure, some action mostly adventure
shonen onmyouji-action, spiritual, demons
natsume yuujinchou-demons, spiritual seeing spirits
uta no prince sama-good looking guys, song anime

Lonely Smoker

One piece but watch the Subbed version its long and still ongoing they about 535 episodes in.

Pirates,

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces