Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unbeatable Survivor

3,000 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Gender Swap 100
long story short: if everything goes as planned I'll finally be able to adopt not one, but two daughters~ But I have some questions regarding them.

1. In terms of outfits, how much does it costs to commission them? Planning to commission a few outfits when I get my hands on them, particularly military styled outfits due to my thing with girls in uniforms.

2. stains. how do we deal with them without the use of a body stocking?

3. Where do we get decent stands for them? Not that I'm planning to just leave them standing, but I probably will have to store them in a display cab when I have to go on trips Dx

4. what is a good way to transport dolls around? I'm planning to bring one of them with me to cons whenever I could.

5. anything else important that I need to know?

Oh, and the dolls in particular is the DD saber Extra and Saber Alter.

I hope everything goes well and I can obtain my holy grails ;___;

Perfectionist

14,400 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User Image

Congrats on getting your very first BJD! That's so exciting. I remember the excitement when I got my first BJD...

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. Outfits vary on price, depending on who the maker is, what her rates are & how elaborate the clothes are.
You can find a lot of BJD clothes on Etsy & on forums like DOA (Den of Angels). That's the main hangout for BJD peeps.

2. Stain removal depends on a few things so the method to fix the problem will vary. Consider the following:
Where the stain is, what the stain was caused from, what type of material the BJD is made out of, etc.
Again, DOA will have all the answers you need. You can also ask around for help for any particular stains.

3. BJD stands will depend on the size doll (MSD, SD, etc.) you have. You can check with your doll's vendor for suggestions.

4. While I don't like to travel much with my BJDs (mostly with my Blythes), I would use an official BJD bag.
Those bags will have all the precautions for travel so the doll doesn't get damaged when being moved.
You can find a few good ones on eBay or you can check other BJD vendors, like Dollmore, Leeke & Luts.
Make sure to check the size of the bag to see if it will match the size of your specific BJD.

5. There's a TON of information about BJDs out there. Like most doll hobbies, a lot of research is involved.
With any newbies to the doll community, I always recommend reading the forums as much as possible.
Also, looking at a lot of different BJD sites can be very informative.

Good luck with everything & I hope your dream dollies are everything you've been wishing for! ^o^

Unbeatable Survivor

3,000 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Gender Swap 100
Milk Kittea
User Image

Congrats on getting your very first BJD! That's so exciting. I remember the excitement when I got my first BJD...

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. Outfits vary on price, depending on who the maker is, what her rates are & how elaborate the clothes are.
You can find a lot of BJD clothes on Etsy & on forums like DOA (Den of Angels). That's the main hangout for BJD peeps.

2. Stain removal depends on a few things so the method to fix the problem will vary. Consider the following:
Where the stain is, what the stain was caused from, what type of material the BJD is made out of, etc.
Again, DOA will have all the answers you need. You can also ask around for help for any particular stains.

3. BJD stands will depend on the size doll (MSD, SD, etc.) you have. You can check with your doll's vendor for suggestions.

4. While I don't like to travel much with my BJDs (mostly with my Blythes), I would use an official BJD bag.
Those bags will have all the precautions for travel so the doll doesn't get damaged when being moved.
You can find a few good ones on eBay or you can check other BJD vendors, like Dollmore, Leeke & Luts.
Make sure to check the size of the bag to see if it will match the size of your specific BJD.

5. There's a TON of information about BJDs out there. Like most doll hobbies, a lot of research is involved.
With any newbies to the doll community, I always recommend reading the forums as much as possible.
Also, looking at a lot of different BJD sites can be very informative.

Good luck with everything & I hope your dream dollies are everything you've been wishing for! ^o^

Thank you so much!

I decided to link to the dolls themselves with details. Maybe it's a little weird that I'm getting two dolls that are somehow similar, but I love the character in question so ^Q^
Saber Extra Saber Alter

as for the bags, I've checked and I noticed that Volks has bags big enough to store at least two dollfie dreams around saber's size.

and I've done my bit of research regarding DD's, but I'm not sure if I've covered enough ^^; are there basic essentials that are needed when adopting the doll? Because regarding the stain issue, I have no worries with saber Extra having stains thanks to her clothes lined, but I'm worried about alter Q___Q

Perfectionist

14,400 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Distant Avalon
Thank you so much!

I decided to link to the dolls themselves with details. Maybe it's a little weird that I'm getting two dolls that are somehow similar, but I love the character in question so ^Q^
Saber Extra Saber Alter

as for the bags, I've checked and I noticed that Volks has bags big enough to store at least two dollfie dreams around saber's size.

and I've done my bit of research regarding DD's, but I'm not sure if I've covered enough ^^; are there basic essentials that are needed when adopting the doll? Because regarding the stain issue, I have no worries with saber Extra having stains thanks to her clothes lined, but I'm worried about alter Q___Q
User Image

You're welcome! I'm always happy to help, especially when dollies are involved. ^__~

Those are really lovely dolls! And no, it's not weird at all that they look similar.
A lot of BJD owners buy dolls for elaborate stories & sometimes those stories involve family members.
So it's very normal for you to get dolls that look so similar. They're sisters, after all!

I'm not as familiar with Dollfies, but as far as tips go for them, they're really just regular BJDs.
As with all BJDs, always be extremely careful when handling or transporting them.
Make sure their faces don't come in contact with any sharp objects, including zippers from bags.
Usually doll bags have special lining so the zippers don't come into contact with the resin (or other mold types).
But always check just to make sure! I've heard of horror stories from my doll friends.

Wig stains are pretty common. My sister & I have remedied that with simple cleaners suggested on the forums.
I really think you'll be fine as long as you're careful. It sounds like you will be so you don't have too much to worry about!

Feel free to ask any other specific questions. No other pointers are coming to mind at the moment. ^^;;

Beloved Fairy

7,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
1. In terms of outfits, how much does it costs to commission them? Planning to commission a few outfits when I get my hands on them, particularly military styled outfits due to my thing with girls in uniforms. Commissioning depends upon the seamstress, size of doll, amount of work involved (time, details, etc) and quality of fabric. The very first thing I would do if I were you would be to look into buying pre-made outfits (possibly sold by other companies but in the same size range) or looking on the secondhand market. This will be *much* cheaper than getting one commissioned.

2. stains. how do we deal with them without the use of a body stocking? If you body blush the whole doll, then you can wet a paper towel with water and *gently* wipe the stain off. If you don't body blush, then take a wet Magic Eraser to the area (it can take off MSC and Testors and all those other sealants, so it's not a good idea to use it over body blushed areas.)

You can also wash the clothes in hot water (to try and wash extra dye out) and then wash it in cold water and vinegar (to seal the remaining dye). This will make the clothes less likely to stain. Don't dry different colored pieces by each other though, because they can stain each other (I did this. Goodbye pretty white doll shirts.)

3. Where do we get decent stands for them? Not that I'm planning to just leave them standing, but I probably will have to store them in a display cab when I have to go on trips Dx
I never leave mine in stands, so I have no idea here, sorry. I usually just leave mine sitting on a doll couch or on my desk or something, and they tend to do fine there. But if you're leaving them standing, stands are *such* a good idea c:

4. what is a good way to transport dolls around? I'm planning to bring one of them with me to cons whenever I could. Doll carrier bag! biggrin Lots of places sell official carrier bags with straps for the dolls, one or more, and also face protectors (little half oval plastic pieces that are held over the face by elastic to protect the face-up and eyelashes).

Or, if you're poor like me, a messenger bag with some soft clothing as padding wrapped around the head and fingers works. (Mine are all smaller than yours though, so you may not be able to fit yours into a bag. Maybe making them sit in it would work though.) If your dolls are big or you get a lot, a suitcase with a fuzzy blanket for padding and some individual padding between the dolls works too ^^ If you're going to carry them all around the con with you, then I suggest taking a bag you can put them in real quick if needed to when you don't have free hands for them.
1. In terms of outfits, how much does it costs to commission them? Planning to commission a few outfits when I get my hands on them, particularly military styled outfits due to my thing with girls in uniforms.
If they're good, they're likely to cost you a good bit. I commissioned a full outfit (without shoes) based on a video game character that was accurate, of good quality, and made quickly for $165. To me it's worth it to have someone make you exactly what you want.

My oldest doll is almost 3 and he has no stains or yellowing whatsoever, the same as the rest of my dolls, even though much of his clothing is black. So I wouldn't worry.

3. Where do we get decent stands for them?
Most of my dolls are 70cm or larger so they do not sit well by themselves. I have them all on stands from Dollmore. They're not expensive but shipping isn't cheap, so if you're getting stands from a doll company in Asia you should consider buying other things as well to make the shipping price worth it!

4. what is a good way to transport dolls around? I'm planning to bring one of them with me to cons whenever I could.
Companies sell cases for them. Myself, whenever I take my dolls out I just sit them up in the back seat of my car like people and drape a sheet over them. XD

Unbeatable Survivor

3,000 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Gender Swap 100
Nanie-chan
1. In terms of outfits, how much does it costs to commission them? Planning to commission a few outfits when I get my hands on them, particularly military styled outfits due to my thing with girls in uniforms. Commissioning depends upon the seamstress, size of doll, amount of work involved (time, details, etc) and quality of fabric. The very first thing I would do if I were you would be to look into buying pre-made outfits (possibly sold by other companies but in the same size range) or looking on the secondhand market. This will be *much* cheaper than getting one commissioned.

2. stains. how do we deal with them without the use of a body stocking? If you body blush the whole doll, then you can wet a paper towel with water and *gently* wipe the stain off. If you don't body blush, then take a wet Magic Eraser to the area (it can take off MSC and Testors and all those other sealants, so it's not a good idea to use it over body blushed areas.)

You can also wash the clothes in hot water (to try and wash extra dye out) and then wash it in cold water and vinegar (to seal the remaining dye). This will make the clothes less likely to stain. Don't dry different colored pieces by each other though, because they can stain each other (I did this. Goodbye pretty white doll shirts.)

I never leave mine in stands, so I have no idea here, sorry. I usually just leave mine sitting on a doll couch or on my desk or something, and they tend to do fine there. But if you're leaving them standing, stands are *such* a good idea c:

4. what is a good way to transport dolls around? I'm planning to bring one of them with me to cons whenever I could. Doll carrier bag! biggrin Lots of places sell official carrier bags with straps for the dolls, one or more, and also face protectors (little half oval plastic pieces that are held over the face by elastic to protect the face-up and eyelashes).

Or, if you're poor like me, a messenger bag with some soft clothing as padding wrapped around the head and fingers works. (Mine are all smaller than yours though, so you may not be able to fit yours into a bag. Maybe making them sit in it would work though.) If your dolls are big or you get a lot, a suitcase with a fuzzy blanket for padding and some individual padding between the dolls works too ^^ If you're going to carry them all around the con with you, then I suggest taking a bag you can put them in real quick if needed to when you don't have free hands for them.

Ooo, thanks for the tip!

On the last note, I was actually considering on bringing one of the dolls with me to a con if they arrive on time (Particularly extra since I'm debuting my saber extra cosplay at that particular con) , so I was hoping there was some way with transporting the doll on times that I cannot carry here as I'd be busy carrying my sword to begin with xD;

And there's no way I'm letting my sister hold her as well, partially because I can't fully trust her, and partially because she's also going to be carrying huge props as well.

Unbeatable Survivor

3,000 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Gender Swap 100
Fin Raziel
If they're good, they're likely to cost you a good bit. I commissioned a full outfit (without shoes) based on a video game character that was accurate, of good quality, and made quickly for $165. To me it's worth it to have someone make you exactly what you want.

My oldest doll is almost 3 and he has no stains or yellowing whatsoever, the same as the rest of my dolls, even though much of his clothing is black. So I wouldn't worry.

3. Where do we get decent stands for them?
Most of my dolls are 70cm or larger so they do not sit well by themselves. I have them all on stands from Dollmore. They're not expensive but shipping isn't cheap, so if you're getting stands from a doll company in Asia you should consider buying other things as well to make the shipping price worth it!

Companies sell cases for them. Myself, whenever I take my dolls out I just sit them up in the back seat of my car like people and drape a sheet over them. XD

Hmnm, I'm planning to comission some military uniforms + a custom dress, so I might have to consider looking around for a good comissioner.

The thing is, with regards to staining, I have a friend who owns saber alter and unfortuantely her default outfit stains apparently.

Hm, with the stands, the dolls I'm getting are 60 cms afaik, so I might have to resort to a stand. I know a bunch of people wanted some stands eitherway, so I might host a group buy for them xD;

annnnd I don't exactly have a car per say, so using your method is pretty much a no-no |D;'
Distant Avalon
Hmnm, I'm planning to comission some military uniforms + a custom dress, so I might have to consider looking around for a good comissioner.

The thing is, with regards to staining, I have a friend who owns saber alter and unfortuantely her default outfit stains apparently.

Hm, with the stands, the dolls I'm getting are 60 cms afaik, so I might have to resort to a stand. I know a bunch of people wanted some stands eitherway, so I might host a group buy for them xD;

annnnd I don't exactly have a car per say, so using your method is pretty much a no-no |D;'

Ringdoll has a nice selection of military uniforms. They're all for guys though, I think, and I'm not sure if they sell them separately. But you might be able to commission someone to mimic their designs if you like them.

None of my dolls can sit so they all have stands. Dollmore stands seem to be quite versatile. They have 2 different heights, too. The only thing I don't like is that because they're fully metal, if your doll doesn't have shoes on their feet slide and they fall backwards or slouch forwards. Not to the point where they tip over or anything, but it's annoying. I'm not sure how other stands compare though because they're all I've got.

I think doll cases would be fun to carry them around in, but they're pricey. Plus shipping from Asia is killer. A yoga mat bag might work. Do they make those? sweatdrop My yoga mat just has a strap that attaches so you don't need a bag, but I suppose the same principal would apply with other sports gear. Like a tennis racket carrier or something similar?

Liberal Raider

5,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Medalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Hi!

I see you are looking at Doll Dreams! They are much lighter in weight than the resin bjds.

Dollie Dreams are not made of resin and are definitely more prone to staining all over the body if the outfit fabric has not been thoroughly set to keep it from bleeding.

My friends in Austin, TX who are the only non-Volks store (Kerbey Lane Doll Shoppe) with permission to sell their dolls, clothes and accessories in the USA are big DD and DDD sellers. They highly recommend body stockings for DDs and DDDs. They cannot keep DD dolls and parts in their store!

Dollie Dreams are made of vinyl and are definitely more prone to staining all over the body if the outfit fabric has not been thoroughly washed and set to keep it from bleeding. Most fabrics from doll companies are not washed and set so they WILL bleed and stain dolls. Wigs also stain so wig caps are a must.

Have you found the two dolls you want on the secondary market? They are from 2011 and Volks no longer sell them. However, if you cannot find them, you could build them!

You will have to find two Saber limited heads (the hardest part), two DD base body III (one L bust, one M bust) and the arms and legs. If you want them to be sisters, I suggest a DD Sister body so she will be slightly shorter but can still wear the clothes of a taller DD.

If I ever buy one (and it has been tempting given the fact I have friends with them!), I would get the DDH-06 with the base body III (probably buy her more bust) and a lot of optional hands. I would then find someone to paint the face to look like whatever I decided would be the perfect look for her. The finishing touch would be green animatic eyes (don't know which type), a few anime coloured wigs like lavender and pink and tomboy clothes with combat boots.

Unbeatable Survivor

3,000 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Gender Swap 100
bakayaro onna
Hi!

I see you are looking at Doll Dreams! They are much lighter in weight than the resin bjds.

Dollie Dreams are not made of resin and are definitely more prone to staining all over the body if the outfit fabric has not been thoroughly set to keep it from bleeding.

My friends in Austin, TX who are the only non-Volks store (Kerbey Lane Doll Shoppe) with permission to sell their dolls, clothes and accessories in the USA are big DD and DDD sellers. They highly recommend body stockings for DDs and DDDs. They cannot keep DD dolls and parts in their store!

Dollie Dreams are made of vinyl and are definitely more prone to staining all over the body if the outfit fabric has not been thoroughly washed and set to keep it from bleeding. Most fabrics from doll companies are not washed and set so they WILL bleed and stain dolls. Wigs also stain so wig caps are a must.

Have you found the two dolls you want on the secondary market? They are from 2011 and Volks no longer sell them. However, if you cannot find them, you could build them!

You will have to find two Saber limited heads (the hardest part), two DD base body III (one L bust, one M bust) and the arms and legs. If you want them to be sisters, I suggest a DD Sister body so she will be slightly shorter but can still wear the clothes of a taller DD.

If I ever buy one (and it has been tempting given the fact I have friends with them!), I would get the DDH-06 with the base body III (probably buy her more bust) and a lot of optional hands. I would then find someone to paint the face to look like whatever I decided would be the perfect look for her. The finishing touch would be green animatic eyes (don't know which type), a few anime coloured wigs like lavender and pink and tomboy clothes with combat boots.

Nero and Alter are already set; Before I put up this thread, I've already contacted sellers for them and they're holding it for me until I pay them next month :>

And thanks for the tips! I defenitely will have to wash the clothes; particularly alter's since I know they'll stain. Nero is safe though since her clothes are already lined.

Liberal Raider

5,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Medalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Distant Avalon
bakayaro onna
Hi!

Nero and Alter are already set; Before I put up this thread, I've already contacted sellers for them and they're holding it for me until I pay them next month :>

And thanks for the tips! I defenitely will have to wash the clothes; particularly alter's since I know they'll stain. Nero is safe though since her clothes are already lined.

Awesome you have them ready to buy!

You will want to delicately hand-wash doll clothes IF the fabric is washable. A lot of doll clothing is not washable - they don't have to be! Dolls don't jump into mud puddles, though they might 'jump' out of your arms if you are loaded down.

Good luck with your new BJD love! One is not enough. Ten is not enough... There is always one lurking in the shadows, giving you the chibi eyes, saying "Take me home - I'm cute!"

Unbeatable Survivor

3,000 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Gender Swap 100
bakayaro onna

You will want to delicately hand-wash doll clothes IF the fabric is washable. A lot of doll clothing is not washable - they don't have to be! Dolls don't jump into mud puddles, though they might 'jump' out of your arms if you are loaded down.

Good luck with your new BJD love! One is not enough. Ten is not enough... There is always one lurking in the shadows, giving you the chibi eyes, saying "Take me home - I'm cute!"

I can't wait to get them! Why can't september come around the corner already ;v;

What do you suggest I use to wash the clothes/ remove excess dye? It's my first time so I don't want to screw things up.

Also, does your friend have a website? I might look around since I'm planning to buy a few extra clothes for my future daughters.

Liberal Raider

5,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Medalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Distant Avalon
bakayaro onna

I can't wait to get them! Why can't september come around the corner already ;v;

What do you suggest I use to wash the clothes/ remove excess dye? It's my first time so I don't want to screw things up.

Also, does your friend have a website? I might look around since I'm planning to buy a few extra clothes for my future daughters.

http://www.kerbeylanedollshop.com/

Unbeatable Survivor

3,000 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Gender Swap 100

Ahhh thanks <3

It's a little too bad they didn't put up photos of what exactly they have to offer, clothes wise. Not that it probably will matter though, since I don't even live in the usa to begin with xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff