Welcome to Gaia! ::

hey I this caught my attention, sure why not?

im new sad

High-scoring Werewolf

11,650 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
I'd rather have a "Lammily" than a Famine (Barbie). lol
there is one? confused

Familiar Businessman

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
I myself am tired of this victim complex bullshit.
Just buy Barbie as she is, or find something else for your goddamn kids.
i think it's a good idea.

Beloved Bloodsucker

20,225 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Sh4nn0n x

I think it depends, I think it should be more like "Curvy Barbie"
The word fat already has a bad connotation.
I agree. Real women are not built like barbie
I think they need a new name for the doll. Actually I think the object of the doll is to make girls of all sizes believe they are beautiful. My daughter is 4 and I let her eat when she is hungry, most of it is healthy. She is still slender. I wouldn't care is she was bigger or smaller, as long as she is healthy and loves herself. If we go to the store and she wants this doll, i'd buy it for her. But I'd tell her she's curvy, not fat. THAT is demeaning to any bigger person. Some people can't help what they're body becomes. My sister in law is on some meds that caused her to become larger. We never say the word FAT, HUGE, and even BIGGER around her. The company needs to change the name on the box.

Dapper Noob

This has got to be a joke.

I googled this thing and I'm just hoping I saw the right toy.
Obesitiy should never be glorified or accepted.

Barbie's body has always been unrealistic while looking "natural" and a slight change to an actual body type could be argued for...
But "fat" is not normal.

Curves are normal. A bit of chub is normal.
Obesity is not.

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I think it's great. I'm a grown woman that wants one. I had never even heard of it until you posted this then I googled it. I think some people naturally have larger figures or are nervous eaters and can't seem to stop and that it would stop putting so much pressure on women and girls to look unrealistic. The normal barbie's proportions are unrealistic of a human woman. Is there a real toy of this?
Screw fat barbie, I'd rather be able to find a size ten at the mall, OK? Geezus. Non stick figures have money too, dude.

Timid Kitten

9,350 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Lapin Patrol Kastra: Victory! 250
  • Lapin Patrol Haldus: Victory! 100
they made a fat barbie? wtf. why didn't they just make her a friend that is larger in size and give her a normal name because everyone comes in different sizes?

or AT LEAST name it fat amy, come on... dramallama

Hilarious Unicorn

I'm either or on this. Dolls are stylized just like sculptures and cartoons so the whole "OMG Barbie's proportions are soooo unrealistic!" never really caught on with me. At the same time I can see some girls wanting to play with dolls they relate to kind of like how black and brown girls want more ethnic girls in the anime and manga they view.

But then again I've been obese before. I once weighed 240 pounds in high school. Running and simply climbing stairs would put me out of breath for minutes, my heart rate was terrible and I was on the verge of getting diabetes. This was all because I refused to just acknowledge that I was fat instead of buying into the whole "big is beautiful" trick to make myself feel better and place blame on others. Once I did that I lost 90 pounds! (Well that and only eating when I was truly hunger and being more physically active. But it took the right mind-set for it to happen before I made those changes.)

I wouldn't want to encourage the American obesity status that we hold so strongly over any other area. People always ignore this point and like to point fingers saying "REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES AND IF YOU DON'T AGREE YOU'RE CLOSED MINDED AND SHALLOW!" without taking into consideration the health risks and misery they put kids through in the long run. Yeah bullying overweight people is bad but so is letting them get too comfortable in rapid and unhealthy habits that lead to weight gain. So if Barbie becomes "Realistic" that's one thing. But if she becomes "Fat" then it could possibly endanger lives. Just my two cents though.

I always got the knock-off dolls when I was little since Barbies were expensive so even if a chubby Barbie comes out it's not like I'm the one that'll be forced to buy her. And I won't dictate what parents buy their kids since it's none of my business. As long as people don't get mad at artists and sculpters for not converting what they see as beautiful to what everyone else demands. I draw sexy (and slightly thin) women, nothing against artists who draw the opposite, but I would appreciate it if nobody tried to shove me out of that and forced me to sell drawings of heavier women.

Also consider the reverse aspect: Bishounen (or even anime guys in general) boys are known for being very thin and unrealistically fair. How would you like it if overweight nerdy guys kicked down the door and demanded manga artists to draw them more chubby and unhealthy and forced the public to recognize it as attractive rather than the prior?
Sh4nn0n x

Sell your fat barby at http://www.classified11.com
Lesbian Feels
hey sell your toys at http://www.classified11.com

Big Vampire

11,925 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • OTP 200
A lot of people argue that having body positivity for all types, including overweight types, promotes an unhealthy lifestyle, but not all overweight people are necessarily unhealthy if they aren't obese, and even in cases of obesity, it kind of implies that making people feel bad and excluded is the way to make people lose weight. Many people aren't overweight because they are lazy, too, so it isn't always just motivation, it can be metabolism, health problems, or bad information (like hearing about diets and pills that don't really work).

I also feel that, even if someone does decide to lose weight, they should do it for their health, not because society shamed them into being uncomfortable in their own skin.

And anyways, Barbie is intensely underweight, so it isn't like she was a healthy body role model anyways.

Overall, I feel like these kinds of arguments are clever ways of covering up fatphobia.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff