Welcome to Gaia! ::

Neo MOF
=__=||..
I am doubting whether I should get an accessory for myself or to get clothes for my BJD x.x (which is technically seen also for me.. but yeah XD..)

It's the great dilemma for doll owners!

My family usually gives me a certain amount of money for back to school clothes, but I think I'm going to go easy on buying myself clothes and use whatever is left to either buy doll stuff or go to my college fund (I have a job, so deciding between using access money for dolls or college is very tricky). College almost always comes first... Almost!
I'm the biggest bother, aren't I? But I'm very excited to be able to chat with other doll owners (I know only one other person -face to face- my age that also loves this hobby) so I like to ask as many questions as possible. Bear with me, please heart

Anyhoot....

Here are my two major questions:

1. How do you decide between getting a male or female doll. I'm thinking I speak for quiet a few people when I say that I can only buy one doll at a time in order to not break the bank. So how do you decide on what gender you buy (first/at all)?

I like to lean towards male dolls. For some reason I just don't like the idea of owning a girl doll... I just don't. Although I do think it would be nice to have a doll I can make dresses for (that would actually flatter their figure... men in dresses, it just doesn't make sense).

2. How do multiple doll owners find the time to "love" (as in do face-ups, make clothes, pose, ect) each and every doll. I thought that having maybe two or three dolls would be good, but I've heard some people (even on this forum) that have upwards of 10 and 12!! Why did you (multiple doll owners) decide to purchase another doll?

I under stand there are differences in sculpts from size to size -like Resinsoul: the smaller the doll, the younger in age it appears- but having so much dolls seems a little taxing on attention and space to store them (not to mention all the accesories and equipment).

Dapper Dabbler

No bother! Talking doll shop is fun! To answer your questions:

1. It was hard deciding, but I ultimately chose a male as my first doll (a Luts Delf Moon) because that was pretty much the first time I'd ever SEEN a male doll. Growing up, most of my dolls were female. Barbie, and the porcelain dolls I used to collect, ect ... The idea of owning a male was sort of a novelty. It was an even bigger novelty that he was actually gendered as one. lol Plus, he was just so PRETTY! I was pretty heavily into anime at that time (still am, actually), and he looked like your classic anime Bishonen in 3D. Resistance was futile. heart

However, my next doll was a female. Because I'd fallen in love with the Luts Delf Dark Elf Soo (still one of my favorite sculpts), and I'm a complete sucker for elves anyway. SHE reminded me strongly of some of the characters in ElfQuest, which was my favorite graphic-novel series in high school (and my ultimate lead-in to discovering anime). Couldn't resist her, either.

Since then my collection has grown to various sizes of both male and female dolls. Most of them are elves with the anime styling. I think only three of my collection are human. The rest all have pointy ears.

2. As I said, a complete sucker for elves. lol I admit, I now have a collection of fifteen, with one more on the way (Littlefee Dark Elf Soo! Fave sculpt, can't resist her in any size! heeee). I honestly never meant to collect so many, but really, BJDs are addictive like potato chips. You can't have just one! ^^;

As for making time for them, I generally send my dolls off to a few different artists for faceups. There are some really good ones who don't charge a lot, and some really good ones who do. I also buy clothes since I don't sew, but they generally share among themselves. Since most of them are elves they all wear the same type of fantasy style, and you can find some pretty good deals on clothes if you know where to look.

It is a bit crowded where I live with all the dolls, but I cleared out some bookshelves by donating books I no longer read to the library, so they all have shelves to sit on that keeps them pretty much out of the way, yet visible to admire. I have their clothes, shoes, and wigs stored in plastic freezer bags to keep them clean, and they are in turn orginized (by size and gender) and stored in fabric bins in cubby holes on more shelves. You'd be amazed at how much room you can make for something that you love. 3nodding

Desirable Genius

0_Kadaj_0
Neo MOF
=__=||..
I am doubting whether I should get an accessory for myself or to get clothes for my BJD x.x (which is technically seen also for me.. but yeah XD..)

It's the great dilemma for doll owners!

My family usually gives me a certain amount of money for back to school clothes, but I think I'm going to go easy on buying myself clothes and use whatever is left to either buy doll stuff or go to my college fund (I have a job, so deciding between using access money for dolls or college is very tricky). College almost always comes first... Almost!

yeah XD I don't get back to school clothes.. But I don't want to spend too much money on clothes now because I'm going next school year to a school for the education fashion and styling.. once I can sew properly myself, I can make clothing x.x''
I'm not a big fan of the fact that the doll I ordered is very popular, and I don't like it that other doll wear the same clothes he does (same doll, same clothes.. only difference would be wig and eyes =.=.. it's also 1 of the reasons I got a new red wig).. don't ask me why XD I can't stand things that are too popular.. I still love the doll though XD
I might go for the clothing for the doll

And answer to your first question (because I don't have multiple dolls XD)

Very easy, I love male dolls.. and the ones I'm aiming for (2 of my own characters) are male and a couple XD
I think male dolls are more beautiful.. I like a few female dolls.. so maybe I might get one in the future.

Am glad you're posting this much wink was almost afraid this thread would die ;o;''
0_Kadaj_0
I'm the biggest bother, aren't I? But I'm very excited to be able to chat with other doll owners (I know only one other person -face to face- my age that also loves this hobby) so I like to ask as many questions as possible. Bear with me, please heart

Anyhoot....

Here are my two major questions:

1. How do you decide between getting a male or female doll. I'm thinking I speak for quiet a few people when I say that I can only buy one doll at a time in order to not break the bank. So how do you decide on what gender you buy (first/at all)?

I like to lean towards male dolls. For some reason I just don't like the idea of owning a girl doll... I just don't. Although I do think it would be nice to have a doll I can make dresses for (that would actually flatter their figure... men in dresses, it just doesn't make sense).

2. How do multiple doll owners find the time to "love" (as in do face-ups, make clothes, pose, ect) each and every doll. I thought that having maybe two or three dolls would be good, but I've heard some people (even on this forum) that have upwards of 10 and 12!! Why did you (multiple doll owners) decide to purchase another doll?

I under stand there are differences in sculpts from size to size -like Resinsoul: the smaller the doll, the younger in age it appears- but having so much dolls seems a little taxing on attention and space to store them (not to mention all the accesories and equipment).

My first doll was a girl which I chose because I thought it would be cute to dress her in dresses and lots of other cute stuff. I always have a hard time deciding between male or female dolls which is part of the reason I have multiple dolls...

Right now I have 9 dolls with solid plans to add at least 2 more. It is definitely a lot of work to dress all of them, especially since I make my own clothing. I find it very rewarding when they are all dressed, wigged, and looking their best though.
1. I chose a boy because... well, I prefer boys. It's hard to explain. @ . @

2. Darn. Can't answer this, I only have one. ;_;
Thyme Willowbrook
No bother! Talking doll shop is fun! To answer your questions:

1. It was hard deciding, but I ultimately chose a male as my first doll (a Luts Delf Moon) because that was pretty much the first time I'd ever SEEN a male doll. Growing up, most of my dolls were female. Barbie, and the porcelain dolls I used to collect, ect ... The idea of owning a male was sort of a novelty. It was an even bigger novelty that he was actually gendered as one. lol Plus, he was just so PRETTY! I was pretty heavily into anime at that time (still am, actually), and he looked like your classic anime Bishonen in 3D. Resistance was futile. heart

However, my next doll was a female. Because I'd fallen in love with the Luts Delf Dark Elf Soo (still one of my favorite sculpts), and I'm a complete sucker for elves anyway. SHE reminded me strongly of some of the characters in ElfQuest, which was my favorite graphic-novel series in high school (and my ultimate lead-in to discovering anime). Couldn't resist her, either.

Since then my collection has grown to various sizes of both male and female dolls. Most of them are elves with the anime styling. I think only three of my collection are human. The rest all have pointy ears.

2. As I said, a complete sucker for elves. lol I admit, I now have a collection of fifteen, with one more on the way (Littlefee Dark Elf Soo! Fave sculpt, can't resist her in any size! heeee). I honestly never meant to collect so many, but really, BJDs are addictive like potato chips. You can't have just one! ^^;

As for making time for them, I generally send my dolls off to a few different artists for faceups. There are some really good ones who don't charge a lot, and some really good ones who do. I also buy clothes since I don't sew, but they generally share among themselves. Since most of them are elves they all wear the same type of fantasy style, and you can find some pretty good deals on clothes if you know where to look.

It is a bit crowded where I live with all the dolls, but I cleared out some bookshelves by donating books I no longer read to the library, so they all have shelves to sit on that keeps them pretty much out of the way, yet visible to admire. I have their clothes, shoes, and wigs stored in plastic freezer bags to keep them clean, and they are in turn orginized (by size and gender) and stored in fabric bins in cubby holes on more shelves. You'd be amazed at how much room you can make for something that you love. 3nodding

Wow! Whole bookshelves for dolls! That's awesome, like a doll museum. I wonder if I'll ever get like that some day? I love to sew and draw/design outfits so Doll collecting just makes sense as a hobby to deviate my interests.
Do any of you have experience with double jointed dolls? A doll I am very interested in has double joints, but I'm not sure whether that's a positive or a negitive feature. The demonstration pose photos are awesome (I tried posing my Taeyang like it and it didn't work out so well). Would these "double" joints cause more problems than they are worth?
@ Toothru

OMG! You're Guppykisses!!?!?!?!!! That's awesome! I'm an avid window browser on etsy. Your work is really nice!
0_Kadaj_0
@ Toothru

OMG! You're Guppykisses!!?!?!?!!! That's awesome! I'm an avid window browser on etsy. Your work is really nice!

Yep, that's me. Thanks for enjoying my work!

Magical Hobo

I think it's pretty awesome that you're here on gaia, too, toothru. x3
PrincessEv
I think it's pretty awesome that you're here on gaia, too, toothru. x3

awww, thanks! I've had an account here for over a year, just never used it. I am quickly becoming addicted now though.

Magical Hobo

n__n

Would you mind if I PMed you a question about your etsy store? I know it's a little out of the blue but...I figured I could try and ask anyway.

Dapper Dabbler

0_Kadaj_0
Do any of you have experience with double jointed dolls? A doll I am very interested in has double joints, but I'm not sure whether that's a positive or a negitive feature. The demonstration pose photos are awesome (I tried posing my Taeyang like it and it didn't work out so well). Would these "double" joints cause more problems than they are worth?

Double joints are awesome. You can get dolls into poses that you'd never get them into with single jointing short of wiring their arms and legs or pulling them out of their sockets.

Now, some of the double joints aren't pretty depending on what sort of doll you're looking at, but with clothes you can't see them anyway, so no big deal, and the extra posing ability is SO worth it.

Lemme post a few pics of some of my double-jointed dolls. Most of them are from Fairyland, which probably have some of THE best-posing dolls, jointed out the wazoo. Plus, they're very pretty and the joints are well-made so they don't stick out or anything.

Warning: Please to be excusing the nekkid pics. Nothing naughty is showing, but they are clearly not wearing clothes. sweatdrop Better to see their awesome posing that way.

First is Lore, a Luts Delf Moon head on a Fairyland Feeple 70cm body. His arms and legs are double-jointed, plus there is a cut in his thighs that allow his legs to rotate to assume a cross-legged position.

User Image

And Puck, a Fairyland Minifee on the uber-jointed activeline body. Much like the Feeple body, only moreso.

User Image

User Image

And we have Sparrow, a Fairyland Pukipuki being held up by Ash, a Dollmore Model Kyle Reese (who has double-jointed arms). Pukipuki is about the size of a Kelly doll, and Kyle Reese is a 70cm boy. The Puki is jointed like the minifee, with magnets in head for ears and such.

User Image

More pics of Sparrow...

User Image

User Image

We have Deedlit, an Elfdoll Aurora. She has double-jointed arms (hard to see in the pics, though).

User Image

User Image

And finally, Lree, a Souldoll Little Jandi, who is 1/6 size. She has double-jointed arms and legs.

User Image

User Image

Okay. Spam bomb over. Hope that gives you an idea of just what well-jointed dolls are capable of. mrgreen
PrincessEv
n__n

Would you mind if I PMed you a question about your etsy store? I know it's a little out of the blue but...I figured I could try and ask anyway.

Sure, you can send me a pm.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces