Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Wolf

12,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Member 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
A couple weeks ago, I ordered a MSD doll from a site called Angell-studio. They have custom dolls, but once they are sold out, they are sold out. I got a fullset doll, and then got a wig, eyes, eyelashes, and an outfit for her. I also got a face-up for her as well. Once I get enough money again, I'll go back to the site, and order a male doll for my female one.

Desirable Genius

^I haven't been to one but heard it's fun xd

I did order a wig and 1 pair of eyes 4laugh They're from LUTS. Much to my surprise, it was already shipped out today. I didn't expect that yet whee Am glad though, at first I wasn't sure if I did some things right xd
Now I can't wait to see it OvO.. =.= Still have to wait long for my first BJD though.

4,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
HI! I have been a ball joint owner since 2006, and have primarily 60cm (=/-) Obitsu, Dollzone and Bobobie dolls plus Elfdoll, Fairyland and Luts and a few other doll heads. These are amazing dolls. Hazel is my first and favorite - a 60cm Obitsu Haruka. You can find me on Den of Angels and also on the Junkyspot forum (since most of my dolls come from the Junkyspot - www.junkyspot.com). It's a forum for the customers of Junkyspot. If you are looking for a doll who will ship to you very fast, I recommend it. If the doll is listed in the store it's in stock and will ship ASAP. Emory is awesome too! (He is Junkyspot).

Obitsu are fabulous and posable. Hazel is why I have the doll next to my avatar here! I love taking pictures of her - over 10,000 so far! If you like small dolls - go for a PUKI from Fairyland - OMG they are the cutest ever!

DOA is a great resource to look at all the possibilities, and to see about doll meets and other manufacturer news. It's true that they do limit the dolls, however they do have most of them. And they will often point you to where you can discuss the off topic ones. I like the marketplace, too. I just found an awesome doll head there this weekend!

Doll meets are a good place to look at dolls in person, see what type and size you like, and meet new friends. Funny thing, mostly we recognize the dolls! "Oh, you're so-and-so's person!" One thing to remember though - ask before touching, and NEVER touch a dolls face - the oils in skin can actually remove the coating and destroy the face-up.

I hope we get lots more people comenting here!

ZM

Dapper Dabbler

zirconmermaid
HI! I have been a ball joint owner since 2006, and have primarily 60cm (=/-) Obitsu, Dollzone and Bobobie dolls plus Elfdoll, Fairyland and Luts and a few other doll heads. These are amazing dolls. Hazel is my first and favorite - a 60cm Obitsu Haruka. You can find me on Den of Angels and also on the Junkyspot forum (since most of my dolls come from the Junkyspot - www.junkyspot.com). It's a forum for the customers of Junkyspot. If you are looking for a doll who will ship to you very fast, I recommend it. If the doll is listed in the store it's in stock and will ship ASAP. Emory is awesome too! (He is Junkyspot).

Obitsu are fabulous and posable. Hazel is why I have the doll next to my avatar here! I love taking pictures of her - over 10,000 so far! If you like small dolls - go for a PUKI from Fairyland - OMG they are the cutest ever!

DOA is a great resource to look at all the possibilities, and to see about doll meets and other manufacturer news. It's true that they do limit the dolls, however they do have most of them. And they will often point you to where you can discuss the off topic ones. I like the marketplace, too. I just found an awesome doll head there this weekend!

Doll meets are a good place to look at dolls in person, see what type and size you like, and meet new friends. Funny thing, mostly we recognize the dolls! "Oh, you're so-and-so's person!" One thing to remember though - ask before touching, and NEVER touch a dolls face - the oils in skin can actually remove the coating and destroy the face-up.

I hope we get lots more people comenting here!

ZM

Hey, I know you! mrgreen I lurk around JS and Dollieh Sanctuary and DOA forums. I occasionally even post pictures. I'm Stormlight there. I'd be Stormlight here, too, except Gaia refuses to let me change my name. sweatdrop
Okay... my name is Lydia [Dumbunneh on Den of Angels] and I am a BJD addict.

I only own 2 atm [ResinSoul Ju and Bobobie Sprite boy], but I am always plotting the next addition to my resin family...

Here's Sindri... he is a Bobobie Sprite on a ResinSoul 1/4 boy body. He's my favorite at the moment.

User Image

I think I want my next dolly to be a tiny of some sort... but I haven't decided which mold or company yet. Probably going to be Custom House or Leeke.

Desirable Genius

*o* he's very pretty and cute biggrin

I received the wig and eyes from LUTS pretty quickly heart am very happy with it. (Got it a few days ago XD)

User Image User Image
Oooo, that's a nice looking pair of eyes and wig! How long did you have to wait?

My favorite place for eyes is DD-Anne's store... she sells imperfect glass eyes for $3.80 a pair! And once the eyes are in, the flaws are pretty negligible.

Desirable Genius

5 business days after I placed my order, I think.. but it really went quickly.
Thyme Willowbrook

I like DOA although I do agree that their restrictions on some of the dolls are nothing short of retarded. To me, it just seems like the mods go off on a power trip without any (LOGICAL) reasoning behind their decisions, other than "This doll is off topic because we SAY it is. SO THERE. PTHPTHPTHP" *Insert random razzberry blowing here*

On the other hand, the forums CAN be really useful if you need information on dolls and modifying, faceups, stringing and such. I found a great tutorial to make traveling blankets to wrap dolls in when they get taken to meets and stuff. I made one for my Littlefee and it's really cute. I plan to make more of them for the rest of my group (14 and counting so far). Just as soon as my little sister gives me back my sewing machine. >_<

Also, the marketplace can be really handy, as well. Newbies can access the marketplace after a certain amount of posts and days, I think. Sometimes you can find a real bargain, or a limited doll that's been discontinued or sold out might show up.

At least four of the dolls I own have been bought from the marketplace, including a hard to find Luts 2006 elf Lishe, and an almost impossible to find Souldoll Little Kimmy (one of the only 1/6 resin boys made, which was discontinued years ago). I think there are only like three or four people on the forum who actually own one, including myself (at least only three or four people who ever posted picures of him).

A travel blanket sounds like a great idea! Are they very hard to make? My sister wants me to bring my doll with me on our next coffee meeting.

I'm not certain, but are Pullips allowed (fairly certain they aren't, if RS isn't XwX)? My intro doll is a Taeyang (model Arion).
So if I posted anything about a doll earlier, I lied. At the last minute I decided that it would be most logical to get a cheaper, simple model of a doll and purchased a Pullip.

I really recommend it for first timers -even if they may not be considered a "real" BJD . Not only are they all complete sets (sometimes with multiple outfits) but deconstructing them was super easy. With a little poking around, I found that some Volks parts (mostly hands) can replace the stock part (which is nice, since the stock hands are... well, boring). Their eyes can change direction using a lever (easier than taking off a wig cap, removing eye putty, and repositioning eyes) and each eyelid has its own button that causes it to close (for endearing winks). Also, with a small amount of effort, their eyes -which are generally customized by replacing "eye chips"- can be changed out for semi-circle eyes (I've heard 22mm eyes work, but the pictures had horrible gaps... 24mm seems more logical to eliminate the gap issue). It would only make sense if the eyes could be exchanged for "full sphere" eyes by removing the eye mechs.

(Epic post of EPIKNEZZ, bear with me)

On the next subject, making clothes:

I know how to sew by hand and a little bit by machine (basic, plain 'ol stitch) and have already made a jacket, Pjs, and the beginning of a Kigurumi (Cow pajama onesie). Finding patterns for my Taeyang is almost IMPOSSIBLE! So can anyone help me out with making my own patterns (does anyone here know how?)? I've half-@$$ed the pattern for his pajama top and the kigu and would REALLY appreciate some help.
Please and thanks.
Also ("again, Kadaj?", yes again) Here is my DA page for people who are interested in seeing my doll. He is completely stock (I've only had him four/five days) but most of the clothes are hand made (haven't figured out how to make tight-fitting pants... so the pant are stock too.)
I've been collecting since late 2004. My very first was a Volks MSD Sakura (mini-super dollfie) kit from Doll and Hobby Shoppe (which was at the time one of the rare North American resources to purchase a BJD of any kind-- they are now closed) which meant I had to string and sand the sucker lol. I enjoyed the learning experience but I so appreciate the new trend of already built and sanded dolls 3nodding .

There are many good resources for ABJD and BJD items/accessories. Someone already mentioned DOA (Den of Angels) but DOA actually limits itself to a certain aesthetic that only the moderators completely understand so there are ball-joint dolls that are not found on DOA.
(Specifically many of the newer American BJDs and the more human-baby faced ABJDs-- Kimberly Lasher is one of these newer producers not included on DOA forums and there are many others that,although are not included on DOA,are still desirable dolls to many collectors.)

Gigglegeek is a great resource for most of the companies that produce dolls or heads for BJDs. It is as up to date as can be possible for someone that is doing it as a fan site and I recommend it for a good way to see different dolls, styles and companies that are currently making dolls.

ResinalityResinality is another forum for BJDs for the 18+ crowd.

The Junky Spot is good for certain BJD supplies and dolls.

For Volks SD fans there is an American volks website (which for anyone that collected prior to this site opening, this site was a godsend for North American collectors.) VOLKS USA

Also many of the modern doll shops have gotten on the bandwagon for BJDs and helped the trend by selling BJDs to a larger audience. Denver Doll Emporium is one such shop. Ebay is a resource many people use as well and it has a selling category specifically for BJDs and BJD accessories... although beware of higher prices and items that can be found other places for less. Dollfie/BJD ebay category

There are many other links and resources but at the moment I am not on a computer with all my links and bookmarks. I would be happy to add more at a later date if anyone is interested. There are several wonderful sites with video tutorials and great news information for BJDs that I highly recommend and am very willing to share with any interested parties.

Girl-Crazy Hunter

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200
pneumadragonfly
I've been collecting since late 2004. My very first was a Volks MSD Sakura (mini-super dollfie) kit from Doll and Hobby Shoppe (which was at the time one of the rare North American resources to purchase a BJD of any kind-- they are now closed) which meant I had to string and sand the sucker lol. I enjoyed the learning experience but I so appreciate the new trend of already built and sanded dolls 3nodding .

I totally got my first BJD from them too! It's a MSD Mario. heart

I mostly stick to Volks but I don't mind other companies. :3

10,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
0_Kadaj_0
@ Takahiro_Mitsukoshi

I've never heard of a guy that collects BJDs (not that its strange, its actually really cool!). I always thought that people would think I was strange for spending time and money on a hobby that could be considered "freaky" (I'll admit, there are some pretty freaky dolls out there!).
What is it about the hobby that interests you the most?

You Never heard of a guy that collects ABJD's? Wow I know many, and I am One of them. I have also Been collecting anime dolls for over 20 years and now have a few hundred Anime dolls.

Desirable Genius

=__=||..
I am doubting whether I should get an accessory for myself or to get clothes for my BJD x.x (which is technically seen also for me.. but yeah XD..)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff