Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Noob

4,450 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Befriended 100
i want to make a doll house for my 11 year old niece, how big should it be?
i want a kitchen/dining area, living room, bath room, 3 bed rooms, is it too much?
how tall should it be? how wide? how much for each room? i want to make it out of wood, its for barbie sized dolls.
thank you so much if you can help ^.^
feel free to ask questions, give advice, anything!

Lonely Friend

6,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Isn't 11 years old about too old to be playing with dolls? I only say that because I stopped playing with dolls around 11 or 12 years old and everyone else had stopped playing with them long before.
I know kids these days stop playing with them even sooner or so I've heard.

Newbie Noob

4,450 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Befriended 100
Sailorgalaxy
Isn't 11 years old about too old to be playing with dolls? I only say that because I stopped playing with dolls around 11 or 12 years old and everyone else had stopped playing with them long before.

yeah umm NO
11 year olds still play with dolls. not all 11 year olds but some, you may have stopped when you were her age but thats YOU not her, her and her friends play with dolls all the time. i was looking for doll house advice not someone else saying they stopped playing with dolls at 11. she still plays with them and i know this for a fact

Lonely Friend

6,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
lipris
Sailorgalaxy

yeah umm NO
11 year olds still play with dolls. not all 11 year olds but some, you may have stopped when you were her age but thats YOU not her, her and her friends play with dolls all the time. i was looking for doll house advice not someone else saying they stopped playing with dolls at 11. she still plays with them and i know this for a fact

Lol jeez b***h me out why don't you? xd

9,750 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Generous 100
How much space does she have? My dolls house has a kind of a stand underneath it with wheels so I can move it if I have to. It's made out of thin plywood but it is still too heavy to pick up. A house for barbies would be very big- it could end up being the size of a wardrobe. But the good thing is if she doesn't want it for a doll house any more it would be big enough to use for shelves.

My dolls house has three rooms on each floor and is three stories tall. But it is for smaller dolls than Barbies and it is still very big.

9,750 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Generous 100
Use a Barbie Doll to test out how big the rooms need to be. You will need one to figure out where to place the windows and other sizes of things. A Barbie is eleven and a half inches tall so if your room is only a foot tall it will be small. The bedroom would need room for the Barbie to have a bed and a dresser. They sell dressers at the dollar store that are supposed to be jewelry boxes but are the right size for Barbies. Your kitchen would need a fridge and a stove. Maybe you could find boxes -used food boxes or kleenex boxes, cut to size? and try those for how big they need to be just to get an idea.

Enduring Noob

7,900 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100
If eleven is too old I'm in serious trouble >__> I love dolls and dollhouses! I think it has to do something with my parents both having careers related to development and buildings.
You can download free doll house plans, just like sewing patterns :] You can buy them too.
What sort of dolls does she like? And yes space is an issue..
I actual had one for an American Girl doll, it was just a large wooden box my dad built, it was a bedroom for my girl ^^
So if you are strapped for space you can just make a "set" maybe paint the walls with magnetic paint so you can decorate it with different wall paper bits and windows and what not.

Heart Consumer

14,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Nerd 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Sailorgalaxy

You're saying this on the "toys and collectibles" forum? Funny... have you SEEN the massive doll thread on here? Just because you grew out of it early doesn't mean that everyone does.
Depends on the space she has, 3 bedrooms might be a bit too much, but if not, sure! I used these square 2x2 IKEA shelves to serve as a doll house/doll rooms and it seemed to have enough space. Each "square" there seems to be about 20x20x20cm and fits Monster High and Pullip dolls well enough.

Moonlight Champion

The one my mom made (out of plastic canvas and yarn which is still alive today XD) Had an attic, 1 bedroom, bathroom, staircase to second floor, hallway, living room, and kitchen. The book you can buy it on amazon but I'd have to look it up. But I wouldn't recommend starting that one unless you've done other plastic canvas before.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff