Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, so,
I'm a complete noob to this stuff.
So I just wanna know the basics;

~What sizes are there, and the terms for them?
~Does each doll have a certain name, or is it sort of a line of dolls?
~What Is a "face-up?"
~I was thinking of looking at Obitsu & Luts, good idea or no (anything cheaper of the same quality)?
~If I buy a doll, does it come with a wig/eyes, or is that a kit?
~Any other general terms or whatever I should know?

please do not tell me to join DoA, because I won't ;/

Beloved Fairy

6,975 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Waffles! 25
  • Clambake 200
Welcome to the hobby! heart

Every company has different names for their sizes, but some people use Volks' names, which are...

1/6 scale - YoSD / Yo Super Dollfie
1/4 scale - MSD / Mini Super Dollfie
1/3 scale - SD / Super Dollfie
1/3+ scale - SD16, SD17

Other companies have smaller dolls--like Fairyland's Puki lines--and I think they're mostly just called "tinies". Sometimes, you'll get people who get upset if you use Volks terms for non-Volks dolls, but they're arguably the most recognizable names.

It depends on the company--each company usually names their line based on body type, and then each doll is named for the head sculpt.

~What Is a "face-up?"
A "face-up" is what you call the makeup painted on the dolls.

~I was thinking of looking at Obitsu & Luts, good idea or no (anything cheaper of the same quality)?
Obitsu aren't resin, but can be good for starter dolls--they'd just be off-topic in some BJD groups. I believe they also have a different joint system. Luts is an awesome company, but they're pretty expensive. I'd argue they're worth it, though. The Luts Delf line is gorgeous. *__* Though I've heard they have some poseability problems.

If you buy a "full set" you'll get wig/eyes/clothes. Most companies will send random eyes with the doll, and some might send a random wig, depending. I know Jeeryama on Ebay will send you a random wig if you buy a full doll through them. In general, though, you have to purchase everything separately.

The big dramatic one is "recast"--which is a bootleg doll made by a third party. They take legit dolls and make molds from them, then make cheaper reproductions and sell them for less. This is a HUGE point of contingency in the doll community, because counterfeit items are illegal to buy and sell, and buying and selling is a big part of the BJD hobby. (Not to mention it undercuts the companies that originally made the dolls and hurts their sales.)

Otherwise, though, I can't really think of anything! If you're not interested in joining DoA, there are some nice Facebook groups you could probably explore if you were more inclined toward that kind of community. c:
Shujinkakusama
Welcome to the hobby! heart

Every company has different names for their sizes, but some people use Volks' names, which are...

1/6 scale - YoSD / Yo Super Dollfie
1/4 scale - MSD / Mini Super Dollfie
1/3 scale - SD / Super Dollfie
1/3+ scale - SD16, SD17

Other companies have smaller dolls--like Fairyland's Puki lines--and I think they're mostly just called "tinies". Sometimes, you'll get people who get upset if you use Volks terms for non-Volks dolls, but they're arguably the most recognizable names.

It depends on the company--each company usually names their line based on body type, and then each doll is named for the head sculpt.

~What Is a "face-up?"
A "face-up" is what you call the makeup painted on the dolls.

Obitsu aren't resin, but can be good for starter dolls--they'd just be off-topic in some BJD groups. I believe they also have a different joint system. Luts is an awesome company, but they're pretty expensive. I'd argue they're worth it, though. The Luts Delf line is gorgeous. *__* Though I've heard they have some poseability problems.

If you buy a "full set" you'll get wig/eyes/clothes. Most companies will send random eyes with the doll, and some might send a random wig, depending. I know Jeeryama on Ebay will send you a random wig if you buy a full doll through them. In general, though, you have to purchase everything separately.

The big dramatic one is "recast"--which is a bootleg doll made by a third party. They take legit dolls and make molds from them, then make cheaper reproductions and sell them for less. This is a HUGE point of contingency in the doll community, because counterfeit items are illegal to buy and sell, and buying and selling is a big part of the BJD hobby. (Not to mention it undercuts the companies that originally made the dolls and hurts their sales.)

Otherwise, though, I can't really think of anything! If you're not interested in joining DoA, there are some nice Facebook groups you could probably explore if you were more inclined toward that kind of community. c:

Thank you so much! This cleared up a lotttt of confusion biggrin

Beloved Fairy

6,975 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Waffles! 25
  • Clambake 200
Miss Tangles

Thank you so much! This cleared up a lotttt of confusion biggrin

You're welcome! You should pop by the main BJD thread on here, too--the people are really nice and welcoming. heart Are you looking into getting a doll for yourself?

Lucky Saint

15,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Shujinkakusama
Couldn't have said it better myself

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
There's a difference between how some are put together. I currently own two different brands of smaller bjds (I only buy dolls that are 26cm and under). I own a pair of Makie brand dolls and a Hujoo Yomi.

The Hujoo is a traditional strung bjd which means it's assembled by running an elastic string through the parts. My Makies on the other hand are snap together, which means that their parts can pop on and off at will.

I like the snap together dolls better personally because they are easier to disassemble, reassemble and customize. Want a different hand? Boop! Just switch them out. Shoes not coming off? Just remove the foot and deal with it. Makies are the only brand I've found that do this so far.

Both of the brands I own also come with eye clips which are nice because then you don't have to go mucking around with tons of eye putty. You just pop the eyes in.

BJD are made with a variety of materials too. The most common one is resin (I have no idea about resin because I don't have any resin dolls) but Nylon and other durable plastics can also be used. The dolls that are not resin tend to be less expensive which is why I buy them.

If you live in Texas like I do and you want to paint your doll yourself you might want to import your sealant. I use Mr. Super Clear from Japan but there are other brands. The sealants that are readily available here are not good for dolls. Great for sealing painting-- just not paintings on a doll's face.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff