Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Shapeshifter

6,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
* Welcome to Tips On Staying Healthy! *
This is a place where you can give tips, request tips, discuss tips, or even ask for a tip fact check!
I hope you all find these tips helpful in your quest to be healthy!

Today's Tip

Got milk?
We all know the question and are familiar with the milk mustaches, but why is milk so healthy? Besides the calcium building strong bones and teeth, what else can milk do to help us stay healthy? Well I have the answer. To quote my source, "Milk packs quite a punch when it comes to nutrition—and you don't have to drink a gallon to reap the benefits". It has potassium to help our blood pressure, and protein to provide us with energy that helps to build and repair muscles. There is Vitamin A, D, B12, and even Riboflavin (B2). Milk also contains phosphorus to help strengthen our bones and generate energy, and lastly niacin that metabolizes sugars and fatty acids. See, there are so many reasons to drink at least one glass of milk everyday!
For more information on the health benefits of milk visit this site.
And remember Drink your milk!

Fashionable Shapeshifter

6,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
* Previous Daily Tips *

Breakfast -

There's been some talk on the Health and Fitness forum about wether breakfast is important or not. Well if you're looking for something to help you lose or maintain your weight, you need a healthy nutritious breakfast. Here is a link to a Regestered/Licensed Dietician on Mayoclinic.com, answering the question "Why does eating a healthy breakfast help control weight?"
According to this R.D.,L.D. having a healthy breakfast can reduce your hunger later in the day, and keep you from looking for a quick fix, like a fast food joint or vending machine snacks. Skipping breakfast can also raise your risk of obesity! By prolonging your fasting your body's insulin response increases, causes you to store more fat. A healthy breakfast can even help you make healthier snack choices along with providing you with more energy, to stay active!
Let's all be a little healthier and have a healthy and nutritious breakfast every morning!

Carrots -

It's time to stop passing by carrots in the produce area, and time to start eating them. Here are 3 reasons why you should pick up a carrot and start munching. Did you know carrots can help slow down the aging of cells, making you look younger longer? The Vitamin A in carrots can even help cleanse your liver. Carrots can even make a cheap and convenient facial mask. Just mix a little honey with some grated carrots and voila! Aren't those some great reasons to start using carrots?
For more information on the benefits of carrots and the carrot facial mask recipe visit this site.

Cholesterol -

Cholesterol, we all have it, but do you know the 5 foods that will lower it? Just by adding a few changes to your diet you can help lower or maintain your cholesterol level. The first group is oatmeal, oat bran, and high-fiber foods, these will help reduce the bad cholesterol. The second group is fish and omega-3 fatty acids, these can reduce your blood pressure and risk of developing blood clots. The last three groups are walnuts, almonds and other nuts, olive oil, and lastly foods with added plant sterols or stanols. How about we all try to add these foods to our diets, and keep our cholesterol levels healthy!
For more information on these food and how they help your cholesterol levels, take a look at this site.

Common Cold -

The common cold, there is no cure for it, but there are ways to prevent it. Always wash your hands, especially if you've been in a public place, or around someone that is sick. I personally was my hands before and after every meal, and constantly throughout the day. Also try not to touch your face. Touching the nose, mouth and eyes after being around someone that is sick or out in a public area is a good way to get sick. Another tip would be to have a sick family member use disposable plates and utensils, to help prevent the spreading of their cold. You can also try assigning everyone their own towels, this will help cut down on the spreading of bacteria. My last tip would be to wash your child's toys, school is a good way to spread colds, washing your child's toys periodically will help keep your child healthy and cold free.
If you have anymore tips on preventing colds I'ld love to hear them. ^_^
For more information on the Common Cold visit this site.

Cranberry Juice -

Did you know Cranberry Juice can help prevent Urinary Track Infections? Some Doctors even recommend patients with Kidney stones to drink cranberry juice, as it is thought to help prevent the formation of the stones. It can even help reduce dental plaque! Who knew such a small fruit could have such a big impact on your body?
So drink up if you're prone to UTIs or have a family history of kidney stones.

Diets, How To Choose -

Having a hard time deciding between diets? Not sure if your diet is a healthy one? Well then take these tips into consideration when choosing your next diet. First make sure your diet is balanced, even if you take supplements cutting out food groups, or not allowing yourself enough calories can lead to health issues. Be sure your diet fits your budget, and you can buy what you need at your local store. Take into consideration previous diets, if a low calorie no carb diet didn't work, maybe you should choose a diet that's unlike it. Also if you have any medical needs, make sure your diet is safe for you to be on, and remember you can always discuss diets with your doctor, they'll be happy to help you.
Need more tips on how to choose the right diet for you?
Then visit this site.

Emotional Eating -

Are you an emotional eater? Do you tend to reach for sweet, high calorie, fatty foods when faced with a negative emotion? If so don't be ashamed, many people have that same problem. If you're an emotional eater here's some tips on how to prevent the over eating. First, don't keep your trigger foods around the house, these are food you reach for whenever you are stressed like oreos or cola. Secondly, be sure you have support from family or friends or join a support group, without support you are more likely to fall back into the pattern of emotional eating. Lastly, if you've tried fighting this on your own and have failed, don't feel bad seek professional help, therapy can help you get to the root of why you eat when faced with stress.
For more information on emotional eating and more tips visit this site.

Fiber -

Have you ever heard someone say "Eat more fiber"? Well they were right, a high fiber diet provides many benefits. Not only does fiber help prevent and relieve constipation it may also help with diarrhea, lower your risk of developing hemorrhoids, and small pouches in your colon, lowers blood cholesterol levels, help control your blood sugar levels, and even aids in weight loss! Women should have at least 21 to 25 grams a day, while men need 30 to 38 grams a day. Who knew something like fiber could do all that? If you would like to add more fiber to your diet I reccomend checking out this site.
Let's all add a little more fiber to our diets, and stay healthy.

Hemorrhoids -

Hemorrhoids may be embarrassing to talk about, and very painful when you have them. You may not be able to prevent ones from chronic diarrhea or constipation, or the ones you get from sitting too much (usually desk jobs), or even the hemorrhoids you get from being pregnant. Although, there are ways you can prevent other causes of hemorrhoids. One, of the most common causes is straining during a bowel movement. Don't force a bowel movement, instead wait for it to come to you. Another cause can be obesity, the best way to prevent this cause is to maintain a healthy weight. The last cause is a**l sex. Not much you can do here, maybe be sure to use lube? A couple more tips would be to eat lot's of fiber and be sure to drink plenty of fluids.
Hemorrhoids can be very painful, so let's try to prevent them!
For more information on hemorrhoids visit this site.

Hydration -

Staying hydrated is an important thing. Did you know the old saying "Drink eight, eight ounce glasses of water a day" is false? Eight, eight ounce glasses would only equal 1.9 liters of water a day, which would fall short of how much you actually need. The Institute of Medicine has determined women need about 2.2 liters and men need about 3 liters, daily. It's important to stay hydrated, especially while exercising. Mild to moderate dehydration is marked by a dry mouth, thirst, tiredness, and dry skin along with other things. Severe dehydration is a medical emergency, marked by confusion, dizziness, lack of urine, and among other things extreme thirst.
For information on dehydration visit this site.
I think we can all agree drinking your daily amount of water is a good tip.
If you want more information on how much water you should be drinking visit this site.
*Bonus Tip*
The average water bottle is 16.9 fl. oz. which equals 500 ml.
1000 ml. equals 1 liter.
So if you want to drink 2.2 liters a day you need to drink about 5 bottles of water, and 6 bottles for 3 liters.

Sleep -

Are you having trouble sleeping at night? I had the same problem until I found these tips. First, you need to make a sleep schedule. For this to work you need to get up and go to bed at the same time everyday, even on the weekends! Secondly make the room ideal for sleeping. What I did was buy a blackout curtain for my room, not only did it cut down on noise from outside my window it blocked out any light that tried to come in (very helpful when there's a street light outside your window). Finally try not to nap during the day, or at least limit your nap to 30 minutes. If you're like me you might want to nap about 5 pm, work/school is over, you've had a long day, and all you want to do is sleep, but try to limit that nap so you can sleep through the night.
For these tips and more on how to sleep better check out this site.

Fashionable Shapeshifter

6,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
* Tips From Other Gaians *

J-Mizzle -
Its getting close to spring so I like to go for a hike on the many trails that are in a conservation area thats in my town. It's exercise but it also destresses me. Nature always destresses me, and if you bring a friend and or a dog its like your not exercizing at all.
Good idea, the one on health facts is interesting, but the forum needed a thread for tips on staying healthy. I didn't know cranberry juice helped UTIs though. o_O

Fashionable Shapeshifter

6,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Xotis
Good idea, the one on health facts is interesting, but the forum needed a thread for tips on staying healthy. I didn't know cranberry juice helped UTIs though. o_O

Yes that thread really is. Also cranberry juice is being researched because it is a good source of polyphenol antioxidants and phytochemical, both of which are possible deterrents against cancer and disorders of the cardiovascular and immune systems.
I usually get about 20 grams of fiber a day if not more. It's so important, and yet many people have no clue what it is. Nice link that should help people.

Fashionable Shapeshifter

6,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Queen Adolphine Stark
I usually get about 20 grams of fiber a day if not more. It's so important, and yet many people have no clue what it is. Nice link that should help people.

That's good you get so much, I myself get at least 15 grams a day. I should start aiming higher though. Many people don't eat fresh fruit everyday and it would help with their daily fiber intake.

Interesting Nerd

I love the thread. ^.^

this is pretty cool you should talk about breakfast if you don't eat in the morning it slows down weight loss your body starts breaking down muscles for energy and it will start storing food so you don't starve. I hate when people tell others not to eat breakfast because it helps them lose weight i guess ignorance is bliss.

Fashionable Shapeshifter

6,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Miss Esa
I love the thread. ^.^

Thanks.

Fashionable Shapeshifter

6,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Gloriech
this is pretty cool you should talk about breakfast if you don't eat in the morning it slows down weight loss your body starts breaking down muscles for energy and it will start storing food so you don't starve. I hate when people tell others not to eat breakfast because it helps them lose weight i guess ignorance is bliss.

Thanks, I was planning to do a breakfast tip. So many people skip breakfast thinking it will help them lose weight...it's so stupid..Do you really lose muscle mass? I may not be in the best health but that's because of a medical condition I at least eat healthy.. As they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Interesting Nerd

Gloriech
Breakfast doesn't increase your metabolism, and many studies show that fasting or less frequent meals don't decrease your metabolism either. Skipping breakfast won't cause muscle loss either.
Miss Esa
Gloriech
Breakfast doesn't increase your metabolism, and many studies show that fasting or less frequent meals don't decrease your metabolism either. Skipping breakfast won't cause muscle loss either.

di i say it increased your metabolism no so don't put words in my mouth. Skipping breakfast causes weight GAIN. When you skip breakfast and don't eat until lunch most likely you've gone 18 hours without eating, by that time your body goes into a starvation mode, it stores what you eat the rest of the day in the form of fat causing weight gain. If you continuously skip breakfast you're body will start breaking down muscle and fat alike for energy. You should really speak to a nutritionist.

Dapper Raider

that is a good tip i'm an emotional eater and it sucks. i do see a therapist though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff