Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alright so here's my story, I need some help on keeping and getting my skin healthier. So any advice on the topic really helps. But my main concerns are how my skin appears to be translucent and the roughness of my skin. My skin is not dry and I'm always putting moisturizer on, but even then my skin feels very rough feeling and not very soft at all. (I have thick skin if that changes anything, I also have very good circulation through my body, so I stay warm and get hot very easily.) And about the whole translucent appearing skin thing, I will admit that I'm on the paler side and that doesn't bother me at all, what bothers me is being able to see all the veins running through my face and body! It makes me look scary emotion_facepalm I'm curious if this is normal and if there is any way to diminish the whole 'translucent' appearing skin thing. I also have acne scarring on my nose (my acne is no more but I have terrible scarring from when I would pick at it... I just couldn't help it...) and have dark circles under my eyes (which are unfortunately hereditary) if anyone has tips on diminishing those as well biggrin Also like I said in the beginning, if you have any healthy skin tips for me period to help keep my skin looking and feeling healthier it would be a great thanks biggrin (ps, I'm also a 16 year old girl if it affects any answers or tips you might have for me biggrin )
Also, I can't tan (this refers to the translucent appearing skin.) I'm 16 and can't and refuse to use a tanning bed (because I don't want skin cancer.) and spray tanning always looks orange on me and doesn't last long. (I also have a light olive complexion with golden undertones, so I do tan very easily and get a very exotic island natural looking deep tan.) And I'm always drinking water and Coconut water so I'm always hydrated if not even overhydrated :/ I also massage pure vitamin E oil on my face every night after I wash it. Sorry for ranting and giving you so much information, I'm just trying to give you all the info you may need to give me tips. sweatdrop
Okay. For the roughness of your body, try salt scrubs. You can even find recipes online if you can't buy. Scrub it in there well in circular motions. I would recommend using olive oil, sweet almond, or jojoba oil (buy the last two at health food stores) over moisturizers. Apply right after a bath or shower while your skin is still damp.

I am also against tanning, so I commend you for that decision. If you are, for whatever reason you justify it, worried about your skin being so translucent, try progressive tanner. Jergens healthy glow, or other progressive "tanning" lotions.

There could be many causes for the dark circles under your eyes. You could be low on iron (and you are, of course, taking your daily multivitamin) so try adding ima vitamin with iron. I think everyone should take a whole plethora of vitamins. Omegas (great for depression or for people with mood disorders), vitamin b complex (energy, anyone?), and folic acid (great hair, skin, and nails.) are some of my favorites.

As for your skin, I'm sorry, but that may just be a condition of your age. Picking (even compulsively) is considered a form of self mutilation, and can destroy your skin, possibly weakening your skin and spreading the bacteria across your face. Try to kill that habit. Fast. My best advice here is watch what you eat, wash your sheets and towels frequently, wash twice (only, unless you get really sweaty from working out) a day, and drink lots of water.

Hope that covered it all.
Quies_Letum
Okay. For the roughness of your body, try salt scrubs. You can even find recipes online if you can't buy. Scrub it in there well in circular motions. I would recommend using olive oil, sweet almond, or jojoba oil (buy the last two at health food stores) over moisturizers. Apply right after a bath or shower while your skin is still damp.

I am also against tanning, so I commend you for that decision. If you are, for whatever reason you justify it, worried about your skin being so translucent, try progressive tanner. Jergens healthy glow, or other progressive "tanning" lotions.

There could be many causes for the dark circles under your eyes. You could be low on iron (and you are, of course, taking your daily multivitamin) so try adding ima vitamin with iron. I think everyone should take a whole plethora of vitamins. Omegas (great for depression or for people with mood disorders), vitamin b complex (energy, anyone?), and folic acid (great hair, skin, and nails.) are some of my favorites.

As for your skin, I'm sorry, but that may just be a condition of your age. Picking (even compulsively) is considered a form of self mutilation, and can destroy your skin, possibly weakening your skin and spreading the bacteria across your face. Try to kill that habit. Fast. My best advice here is watch what you eat, wash your sheets and towels frequently, wash twice (only, unless you get really sweaty from working out) a day, and drink lots of water.

Hope that covered it all.

Thank you (:

OG GO

First of all, the "translucent" skin is normal in pale skin. You just don't have opaque skin color and that's fine. Do not try to tan if you want your skin to actually be healthy and not just look healthy (not that tans make you look healthy QUITE the opposite)
I would focus, for you, on making sure I am drinking LOTS of water. (Looks like you are though) I would buy specifically the Rice Mask from SkinFood and use as directed. I say this mask because it exfoliates very very gently and I think that could ease some of the roughness of your skin. Acne Scarring is normal or course, I would focus your regimens on Smoothness and brightening. I bet Shisedio would be a good brand for you or something similar.
Also acne, WILL happen it just will. My advice is to just leave them alone no matter how much you wanna pick them and they'll even go away faster.
I would say not to worry much about your veins showing...we all have them. The only thing to 'correct' this would be makeup I think so look for "med to full coverage"

Hope I could help a little.
koimilk
First of all, the "translucent" skin is normal in pale skin. You just don't have opaque skin color and that's fine. Do not try to tan if you want your skin to actually be healthy and not just look healthy (not that tans make you look healthy QUITE the opposite)
I would focus, for you, on making sure I am drinking LOTS of water. (Looks like you are though) I would buy specifically the Rice Mask from SkinFood and use as directed. I say this mask because it exfoliates very very gently and I think that could ease some of the roughness of your skin. Acne Scarring is normal or course, I would focus your regimens on Smoothness and brightening. I bet Shisedio would be a good brand for you or something similar.
Also acne, WILL happen it just will. My advice is to just leave them alone no matter how much you wanna pick them and they'll even go away faster.
I would say not to worry much about your veins showing...we all have them. The only thing to 'correct' this would be makeup I think so look for "med to full coverage"

Thank you and yes, you helped even more (:
My acne is actually gone and I just have that terrible scarring on the bridge of my nose between my eyes now to get rid of (although I do of course get oneor two pimples every now and again, but that's normal.) And I do have a rice powder that I occasionally put on my face to help soak up any excess oils and keep my face from looking oily overall. But yeah, guess I'm just gonna have to wait untill summer to naturally darken some to get rid of the translucently veiny look. But thanks for the extra info, it helps as well (:

OG GO

II_Umeko_II
koimilk

My acne is actually gone and I just have that terrible scarring on the bridge of my nose between my eyes now to get rid of (although I do of course get oneor two pimples every now and again, but that's normal.) And I do have a rice powder that I occasionally put on my face to help soak up any excess oils and keep my face from looking oily overall. But yeah, guess I'm just gonna have to wait untill summer to naturally darken some to get rid of the translucently veiny look. But thanks for the extra info, it helps as well (:

Try out some bio-oil for scars or any kind of fading oil if you want to really specifically target some areas but only on the scars not the whole face. The ricemask is more like a cream that you use after washing your face and it can take away the upper rough layer from your skin to show the new clean healthy layer. I honestly, even though I will admit I am very biased towards pale skin, think you shouldn't tan at all in fact you should avoid the sun (parasols, layers, sunscreen,stay indoors) this is what I do and I am wonderfully white and my skin has no damage (well sun damage) that I have noticed at least. I really really want to tell you that tanning will do nothing but make your situation worse. Tanning is just bad in general. Very bad.
koimilk
II_Umeko_II
koimilk

Try out some bio-oil for scars or any kind of fading oil if you want to really specifically target some areas but only on the scars not the whole face. The ricemask is more like a cream that you use after washing your face and it can take away the upper rough layer from your skin to show the new clean healthy layer. I honestly, even though I will admit I am very biased towards pale skin, think you shouldn't tan at all in fact you should avoid the sun (parasols, layers, sunscreen,stay indoors) this is what I do and I am wonderfully white and my skin has no damage (well sun damage) that I have noticed at least. I really really want to tell you that tanning will do nothing but make your situation worse. Tanning is just bad in general. Very bad.

Yes I know, but a little color isn't bad, just so my face gets some natural color back to it, I look almost sick at the moment my face is so pale, and that's because I stayed out of the sun us much as I could last year, and I actually ended up with a Vitamin D deficiency from doing that, which was hard for me to believe personally. But I do wear sunscreen when I go out, even though for how pale I am I rarely ever do burn, I wear some just in case (: and because of my little fiasco that happened last year I think my mom might literally lock me outside in the heat and sunlight of summer so that doesn't happen again >.<

Popular Sophomore

13,725 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Athlete 50
I sympathize with translucent skin, I have it too. I personally don't mind it but I will sometimes use a light self tanning lotion in the summer. I also don't agree with tanning beds, they suck. As for the roughness, just exfoliate every other day. It cold out so your skin cells are dying quicker and building up.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff