Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pyris's Wife

Beloved Conversationalist

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
''Stand firm in your faith,or you will not stand at all.'' -Ephisians 7:9

Alright, so I'm trying to getting back into exercise. I've been out a few weeks as I'd hurt my back. So, I've been wanting to focus on strengthening my legs and arms. A friend tells me I may not be eating enough protein and it would be wise to have this intake to help recover pain-wise.

So what is something that you feel has really worked with exercise that is a great item or supplement to take as protein, perhaps something to mix in milk? If there is advice on more affordable items, that would be great!

Thank you so much guys!

~Mango Gryphon/ Teacher/ Advocate/ Gamer/ Wife

Beloved Sex Symbol

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I hope it's healing well and you feel better soon. As far as diet goes I'm not too sure... I know I used to have to drink the Ensure that was higher in protein, however those can be a bit pricey. There is Carnation Breakfast Shakes you mix with milk that have vitamins and minerals and stuff. You can find those in supermarkets sometimes in the isle with the coffee strangely enough.

There are certain foods you can eat to, such as meats, and I think fish... I think some nuts have them and beans if you don't like meat. Sorry I'm not much help....

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
Genius Tech Freak
I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I hope it's healing well and you feel better soon. As far as diet goes I'm not too sure... I know I used to have to drink the Ensure that was higher in protein, however those can be a bit pricey. There is Carnation Breakfast Shakes you mix with milk that have vitamins and minerals and stuff. You can find those in supermarkets sometimes in the isle with the coffee strangely enough.

There are certain foods you can eat to, such as meats, and I think fish... I think some nuts have them and beans if you don't like meat. Sorry I'm not much help....

You're great, buddy! Yeah I love doing nits, peanut butter and banana is my ideal breakfast before exercising. Good start! smile
Sorry about your back, and I don't know how to get in shape but my mom says that it's our family genes and we're naturally skinny and fit- as if! I may not be much of help though. talk2hand

Although I haven't gained any fat and I ate a whole month of junk food, fast food etc. i would like to agree with your friend the key to fitness is proteins! You could try becoming vegan for a while or something? I tried that but I failed there's plenty of foods, fruits, vegetables, or dairy products that could keep you fit and healthy. I sometimes work out if I get bored or get grounded so that could work but only after your back heals.

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
Sachima
Sorry about your back, and I don't know how to get in shape but my mom says that it's our family genes and we're naturally skinny and fit- as if! I may not be much of help though. talk2hand

Although I haven't gained any fat and I ate a whole month of junk food, fast food etc. i would like to agree with your friend the key to fitness is proteins! You could try becoming vegan for a while or something? I tried that but I failed there's plenty of foods, fruits, vegetables, or dairy products that could keep you fit and healthy. I sometimes work out if I get bored or get grounded so that could work but only after your back heals.

Hi Sachima,

No, you raise a very good point with protein. I have never considered vegan but perhaps I'll check it out.

You are on the right track with something though, with exercising when you can. See, as hard to try as I might, I can never seem to get a routine going for very long and for very good reasons I would 'reckin. I have times I have to work on lesson plans from home, I have a husband as well as a condition to mind if he or family needs to get to the hospital, and overall just last minute things coming up that take priority over exercising. Yet, I know it's important. And I may have to just better accept it and do it when I can, and not per se a certain time of the day (although doing it at night means less sore muscles in the day, it would seem).
If you are recovering from an injury it is actually a very good idea to up your protein intake! Many people think you only need a lot of protein if you are working out, but you also need it if you are sick or injured so your body can rebuild itself!

As far as figuring out how much you should be eating:
For your average person you need .8g pro/kg body weight (to covert from pounds to kilogram divide by 2.2)
If you are doing general running, exercise, or muscle building you need anywhere between .8 and 1.5g/kg (you probably fall somewhere in here).

As far as where to get protein:
Personally I think that people consume WAY too much protein and are supplement happy. I'm a fan of just eating the right food.
Some plant based foods high in protein are lentils/beans (14-18g/cup), cooked soybeans (28g/cup), and peanuts (17g/half cup). And of course animal meat is generally high in protein as well.

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
Calling Shenanigans
If you are recovering from an injury it is actually a very good idea to up your protein intake! Many people think you only need a lot of protein if you are working out, but you also need it if you are sick or injured so your body can rebuild itself!

As far as figuring out how much you should be eating:
For your average person you need .8g pro/kg body weight (to covert from pounds to kilogram divide by 2.2)
If you are doing general running, exercise, or muscle building you need anywhere between .8 and 1.5g/kg (you probably fall somewhere in here).

As far as where to get protein:
Personally I think that people consume WAY too much protein and are supplement happy. I'm a fan of just eating the right food.
Some plant based foods high in protein are lentils/beans (14-18g/cup), cooked soybeans (28g/cup), and peanuts (17g/half cup). And of course animal meat is generally high in protein as well.

I am a pretty good eater as it is! I may just have to make a few adjustments. We already started buying more nuts and putting them in the fridge to last longer. And I eat egg whites pretty regularly. And I want to try more beans!

Thank you very much! I will take this into serious consideration! I was actually looking at a gym today and may check into it if we can find I can afford it with my new job. I get more motivated in wide open spaces, outdoors, and being with people.

Thanks for stopping in and your insight!

I use GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Platinum Edition before and after working out. It's works really good. The next day waking up i feel terrific. No soreness at all. If you're are going to get a protein supplement, you should go with the GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 Platinum Edition.

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
ElTigree
I use GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Platinum Edition before and after working out. It's works really good. The next day waking up i feel terrific. No soreness at all. If you're are going to get a protein supplement, you should go with the GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 Platinum Edition.

Thanks for the suggestion! Do they offer samples of their products at the store do you think? I was in a store recently where they gave me several things to try out (and I plan to test them out on my one-week free trial at the gym I want to join.)

Crinis
ElTigree

Thanks for the suggestion! Do they offer samples of their products at the store do you think? I was in a store recently where they gave me several things to try out (and I plan to test them out on my one-week free trial at the gym I want to join.)

They do not have samples I'm sorry. The samples that the sales associates gives you usually works. If you want to go hard to get results i recommend GNC's product. Do you plan on going to the gym weekly?

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
ElTigree
Crinis
ElTigree

They do not have samples I'm sorry. The samples that the sales associates gives you usually works. If you want to go hard to get results i recommend GNC's product. Do you plan on going to the gym weekly?

My goal is three times a week to start with. See I have a new job and if I do the gym I will not start until the end of January to see where we are financially but I have that's one week pass as I mentioned. We are also getting less bills hopefully which should help.

Wheezing Fatcat

A lot of people don't know that most americans actually get too much protein, and it is bad for your health in the long run. You actually don't need as much as people say, so be honest with yourself and only invest in supplements or make a point to eat more if you WILL use it up and burn it. That means sticking to your workouts, hard ones.

There are varied opinions on when to eat your protein- before or after. I found that before keeps me more energized through the workout and makes my recovery time faster, but either one will work.

Some high-protein foods:
Hummus on wraps, low-salt chips, as a veggie dip, sandwich spread
Boiled eggs in sandwiches, salads, or just plain
Nuts, Seeds
Chicken, watch the fat
Fish, watch the fat and the breading people coat it in

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
X_Hakiro_X
A lot of people don't know that most americans actually get too much protein, and it is bad for your health in the long run. You actually don't need as much as people say, so be honest with yourself and only invest in supplements or make a point to eat more if you WILL use it up and burn it. That means sticking to your workouts, hard ones.

There are varied opinions on when to eat your protein- before or after. I found that before keeps me more energized through the workout and makes my recovery time faster, but either one will work.

Some high-protein foods:
Hummus on wraps, low-salt chips, as a veggie dip, sandwich spread
Boiled eggs in sandwiches, salads, or just plain
Nuts, Seeds
Chicken, watch the fat
Fish, watch the fat and the breading people coat it in

Thank you! I am stringing a more proteinful diet together slowly. I got nuts, eggs, and meats down prettywell and I don't bread my fish.

Ugh I was at the gym for the first in a while and tried stretching and warm ups and even almond milk with chocolate protein powder I am sampling
.....I am still dieing with muscle soreness! Maybe I will try warm up and stretch after but uuugh the pain...

Dangerous Gaian

5,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Whey protein soy milk any milk you feel comfortable drinking and you're set.If you're a hard gainer try ice cream milk fruits and protein powder for one banging calorie and protein filled milkshake.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff