Welcome to Gaia! ::

I don't think ppl should be counting religiously their calories, its more of moderation and eating whole foods in every meal.

7,400 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
If it works for you, why not? I am currently on a weight loss plan... 1200 calories a day, although I usually don't even reach that much. Not on purpose, I just usually land at around 900 calories at the end of the day. I exercise heavily 6 days of the week, and on the 7th day I usually do some light yoga stretches and breathing exercises. I allow myself one soda a week, but throughout the rest of the week I drink water, hot tea, and I have one cup of coffee every morning. :p My biggest obstacle in weight loss was drinking more water, because I hate water, but once I got on track with drinking 64oz. of water a day, I noticed the pounds started to come off quick and much easier.

Hallowed Phantom

7,700 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Jack-pot 100
The Strangest Life
If it works for you, why not? I am currently on a weight loss plan... 1200 calories a day, although I usually don't even reach that much. Not on purpose, I just usually land at around 900 calories at the end of the day. I exercise heavily 6 days of the week, and on the 7th day I usually do some light yoga stretches and breathing exercises. I allow myself one soda a week, but throughout the rest of the week I drink water, hot tea, and I have one cup of coffee every morning. :p My biggest obstacle in weight loss was drinking more water, because I hate water, but once I got on track with drinking 64oz. of water a day, I noticed the pounds started to come off quick and much easier.
Same here. I work out during the week, take the weekend for a break though. But the water really helps. I feel so much better and the weight comes off so much easier.
IVXIII
I don't think ppl should be counting religiously their calories, its more of moderation and eating whole foods in every meal.

Counting calories is, more often than not, about monitoring what you're eating. Some eat too little, some eat too much.

Really, this should only be done for a few months until you get a rough idea of how much you're actually eating. The problem is, some people when they go dieting eat far too little. Many fail to understand that your caloric intake should not just reflect your activity level, but your height, weight, etc...
Monqueys
First 17 year old female 5'7. Starting weight 270, currently 250.

I started a diet less then a month ago, and so far have lost just about 20 pounds. Note that I am on the bigger side so smaller people will not lose as fast as I did.

How I did it? Dieting. Eating healthy and counting my calories. There is no big secret, no pills, no plans. I did not even exercise. Before I started my diet I was eating 2500 calories+ a day. Now I eat just around 800-1200 calories a day. Now you may say that's unhealthy! Or I would be starving. But trust me, the right foods you will be stuffed like, salads or sandwiches, tacos, and lots of different type of soups. Also drink LOTS OF WATER! No sodas, you want to make sure you flush out your system from bad foods. And no salts! That will retain water and make you bloated.

But the biggest thing that helped me stay on track and lose weight is this app/website Loseit. It's a calorie counting website and it works really well. Just remember to be honest with your self! For motivation when I felt like giving up I would go to r/loseit. This website has a bunch of success stories and what motivated me in the first place.

Hope this helped/motivated any one! Also any questions I will be happy to answer! PM's are welcomed too.

TLDR- COUNT YOUR CALORIES!

If it seems the weight loss slows down start exercising or balancing the carbs:fat:protein ratios.
It's the body's way of staying alive so it will always be adapting to diets to maintain itself.
congratz for 20pounds!

Dapper Dabbler

emotion_brofist for the weight loss!
Also, hello there fellow redditor. emotion_yatta

I've been doing keto since January. Honestly, I rarely ever get up to 1200 calories. I just get full really easily/don't get hungry often and I have a lot more energy. That equals low net calories.
Loseit! is literally my favourite website everrrr <3
I'm not really on a "diet" or anything but I've been really trying hard to just eat clean and healthy! (-:
I decided to cut out gluten about 2 weeks ago and I honestly feel much better about myself- I don't feel as bloated anymore and just more confident in general.
I'm 17 and about 5'6-5'7 and I currently weigh around 125 pounds. I used to be about 120, but after the Super Bowl I was seriously eating so unhealthy and gained about 5 pounds. :/ I know I can't complain because I'm at a really good weight for my age/height but it's still discouraging to have gained weight, as you all probably know razz
Anyways, I try to eat less than or around 1,450 calories per day- I'm slowly cutting out overly processed foods like potato chips (even though they are my addiction) and prepackaged goods like cookies. I am absolutely obsessed with sweet and salty foods, so I try to only bake my own cookies/cakes and eat them in moderation. Since I do not eat gluten, I eat rice cakes like crazy! I know they're processed but they really do not have many additives and they are pretty healthy so I eat them to satisfy cravings. About 1 tbs. of peanut butter on a lightly salted rice cake is literally my go-to snack smile (only about 130 cals)
Luckily for me, I hate soda haha. I had a small glass of it last Thanksgiving but I really didn't like it AT ALL so I haven't had it since. I drink Green Tea and other natural herbal teas as well as water like crazy, they are seriously the only things I drink besides Almond Milk every so often.

All of that aside, to the OP- I really don't recommend eating less than 1200 calories /: About a year ago, I was eating like less than 1000 calories per day and I lost 5 pounds in about a week, but gained it back immediately once I started eating 1200-1400 calories again.
One of my good friends weighed about 200-210 pounds and she managed to lose about 15 pounds in a month, but she was basically starving herself; not eating anything for breakfast or lunch. I seriously worry about her but I think she's started eating at all meals again so I really hope you are being smart with your calories and remember that you may lose a lot of weight really quickly by cutting down immensely on calories, but once you start eating 1400+ cals again, the weight may come back and all of that will be of waste D:

Sorry this is such a long post! I get really into the whole dieting thing since I've dealt with many body image problems and such~!

Hallowed Phantom

7,700 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Jack-pot 100
I guess before I get too far in I should say that I have a family history of diabetes and when I was about 10 I was hypoglycemic. When I was 16 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Before I became diabetic I never had many problems with my weight.Stubborn as I was, I decided not to see an endocrinologist, I thought I would do fine with my own way of managing my sugars.

Things were alright for a while, but by the time I was a few weeks from my 18th birthday I started having major problems with stress eating. (Probably due to starting college) Anyways, the past year I gained over 70 pounds.

I now see my endo. regularly and he's put me on the meds I should be taking and I've lost about 25 pounds in about a month. He said it's completely fine for me because the reason I'm losing is from my meds and change of diet.

It depends greatly on your body type and the specific caloric needs you have.

Also, anyone who plans on starting a big change in diet and lifestyle should check in with a doc just to make sure you're doing everything correctly. But at the same time, if you feel good you're probably doing fine. (: Word of advice to anyone with diabetes, SEE THE DOCTOR BEFORE ANY KIND OF DIET CHANGE. You can't skip meals, and certain foods that might be good for other people could be bad for you. (Ie. Whole Grains)

Congratulations on losing the weight ! You're so right, if you eat the right foods, you feel full and so much better !

Keep up the excellent work ! (:

Hallowed Phantom

7,700 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Jack-pot 100
xxj_adore
Loseit! is literally my favourite website everrrr <3
I'm not really on a "diet" or anything but I've been really trying hard to just eat clean and healthy! (-:
I decided to cut out gluten about 2 weeks ago and I honestly feel much better about myself- I don't feel as bloated anymore and just more confident in general.
I'm 17 and about 5'6-5'7 and I currently weigh around 125 pounds. I used to be about 120, but after the Super Bowl I was seriously eating so unhealthy and gained about 5 pounds. :/ I know I can't complain because I'm at a really good weight for my age/height but it's still discouraging to have gained weight, as you all probably know razz
Anyways, I try to eat less than or around 1,450 calories per day- I'm slowly cutting out overly processed foods like potato chips (even though they are my addiction) and prepackaged goods like cookies. I am absolutely obsessed with sweet and salty foods, so I try to only bake my own cookies/cakes and eat them in moderation. Since I do not eat gluten, I eat rice cakes like crazy! I know they're processed but they really do not have many additives and they are pretty healthy so I eat them to satisfy cravings. About 1 tbs. of peanut butter on a lightly salted rice cake is literally my go-to snack smile (only about 130 cals)
Luckily for me, I hate soda haha. I had a small glass of it last Thanksgiving but I really didn't like it AT ALL so I haven't had it since. I drink Green Tea and other natural herbal teas as well as water like crazy, they are seriously the only things I drink besides Almond Milk every so often.

All of that aside, to the OP- I really don't recommend eating less than 1200 calories /: About a year ago, I was eating like less than 1000 calories per day and I lost 5 pounds in about a week, but gained it back immediately once I started eating 1200-1400 calories again.
One of my good friends weighed about 200-210 pounds and she managed to lose about 15 pounds in a month, but she was basically starving herself; not eating anything for breakfast or lunch. I seriously worry about her but I think she's started eating at all meals again so I really hope you are being smart with your calories and remember that you may lose a lot of weight really quickly by cutting down immensely on calories, but once you start eating 1400+ cals again, the weight may come back and all of that will be of waste D:

Sorry this is such a long post! I get really into the whole dieting thing since I've dealt with many body image problems and such~!

Do you have siliac disease ? (Wheat Allergy) My aunt has it and once she found out and cut out gluten she said she felt much better, less bloat and had a much easier time managing her weight.

Just curious based on your experience is all.

Generous Citizen

10,125 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Big Tipper 100
HOLY s**t. Read this, please. Some of you clearly aren't doing something correctly.

Okay, the answers to this topic completely freaked me out. Most of you are consuming 1,200 calories or less?!

You cannot do that.
Reasons:
1. It slows down your metabolism.
2. You will eventually begin to gain weight because you're eating so little. Even if you are full, you need to eat something with more calories. Most healthy foods are low in calorie which means you need to eat so much more.
3. It hinders your weight loss goals.
4. Believe it or not, eating 1200 calories or less puts your body into starvation mode.

This is what your really need to do in order to lose weight healthily:
1. Consume natural foods and enough of them!
2. Find your BMR. Your BMR calculates how many calories you should be consuming if you want to lose wight. This is how you calculate your BMR:
English BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Metric BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

3. Excercise 4-5 days a week. Maybe even 6 days a week, but no more than that. You need a rest day. Why? "Building recovery time into any training program is important because this is the time that the body adapts to the stress of exercise and the real training effect takes place. Recovery also allows the body to replenish energy stores and repair damaged tissues. Exercise or any other physical work causes changes in the body such as muscle tissue breakdown and the depletion of energy stores (muscle glycogen) as well as fluid loss.

Recovery time allows these stores to be replenished and allows tissue repair to occur. Without sufficient time to repair and replenish, the body will continue to breakdown from intensive exercise. Symptoms of overtraining often occur from a lack of recovery time. Signs of overtraining include a feeling of general malaise, staleness, depression, decreased sports performance and increased risk of injury, among others."
4. EAT! EAT YOUR BMR! DON'T EAT LOWER THAN IT BECAUSE YOUR BMR IS ALREADY THE LOWEST AMOUNT OF INTAKE. YOU NEED TO EAT YOUR BMR.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff