Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sexy Turtle

Bought it yesterday for my Birthday [Last Wednesday] and I have not used it since my childhood- yes I just turned 24 -_-'

Anyways, I tried it out when I got home and did pretty good but I noticed that I jump twice before the rope have passed me. Example-

jump, jump over the rope, jump, jump over the rope,repeating.

[Of course I failed few times but so far I can do non stop is 20-25 jumps total for a first try yesterday]

So I was wondering, any tips to keep success jumping for at least 2 minutes non stop without messed it up?

I know that Jumping rope have benefit for exercise which why I decided to buy a good one rope.

Any tips would be nice.

Lust-

Liberal Dabbler

I try to jump rope a lot. I read somewhere that If you do it for about a half hour a day you can burn more calories then jogging. Well you said that you jumped twice before the rope passed you a few times don't be afraid to go faster even if you mess up a bit or fall all over yourself. For me I just try to really pick up a rhythm and keep it going the more you get into it and focused it will just get easier and easier to jump for longer. Also I don't know if you jump with shoes on or not but I'd suggest that you do because sometimes I think that I'll be able to jump faster barefoot, but it never works out i trip and it hurts so bad. Overall, yeah, I'd just say try to focus and get into it. Hope I can help! mrgreen

Sexy Turtle

ThugMoose
I try to jump rope a lot. I read somewhere that If you do it for about a half hour a day you can burn more calories then jogging. Well you said that you jumped twice before the rope passed you a few times don't be afraid to go faster even if you mess up a bit or fall all over yourself. For me I just try to really pick up a rhythm and keep it going the more you get into it and focused it will just get easier and easier to jump for longer. Also I don't know if you jump with shoes on or not but I'd suggest that you do because sometimes I think that I'll be able to jump faster barefoot, but it never works out i trip and it hurts so bad. Overall, yeah, I'd just say try to focus and get into it. Hope I can help! mrgreen
User Image

Many thanks for replying my thread, Yeah, 30 minutes burns 300 calories. I find it more fun when I count the non stop jumping trying to hit highest, so far I hit was 31, twice. I use my watch to track times until 30 minutes is up. I wear cross-train shoes since it hurts when the rope hit your toes so hard.

Liberal Dabbler

Your Welcome, It's nice to talk to someone who jumps.
& Yeah, I like to count also. what's funny is now thinking about it I've never jumped to see how many I can do. I always just jump til I get to 100 (by then I'm about to drop to the floor) then wait a couple minutes and start again. but earlier this week I reached my all time high of 180 (well it wasn't consistent I did 100 then rested for 3 or so mins. then started again) But it felt great.. & Yeah, from now on I make sure to always wear my running shoes when I jump.. I wanna get some cross trainers soon.

Sexy Turtle

ThugMoose
User Image

Totally, maybe try non stop jumping to get highest as possible in 30 minutes? It gives me a good sweat from doing it for 30 minutes, I admit that I fail many times but most common for me to do non stop is 5-15 at least and my highest was 31. I want to reach 100 non stop in less than 30 minutes but that would be a lot of practing because I just bought jump ropes the day I made this thread lol

Liberal Dabbler

I tried once to time myself and jump for a half an hour but it just seemed so long! because I jump so fast i can get done with a hundred in maybe 4 minutes.. and I don't think i could do anymore than 200 without passing out..so I can never make it last that long. I do it as a quick workout.. I should start practicing more so I can jump for longer..and maybe slow down. & I'm definitely going to see how many I can do nonstop now I'm curious.

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
I recently got certified by jumprope.com.
You are doing what is called a double bounce, it's not bad but makes progressing to harder foot skills difficult.You need to focus on jumping slower and swinging the rope faster. If your wrist strength is not enough to go any faster you can easily train it by holding both handles with one hand and swinging the rope as fast as you can, you can do this forward, backward, above your head, etc... just be sure to do the same amount of work with both arms.
Also what type of rope do you have?

Sexy Turtle

MaxKon
You are doing what is called a double bounce, it's not bad but makes progressing to harder foot skills difficult.You need to focus on jumping slower and swinging the rope faster. If your wrist strength is not enough to go any faster you can easily train it by holding both handles with one hand and swinging the rope as fast as you can, you can do this forward, backward, above your head, etc... just be sure to do the same amount of work with both arms.
User Image

sweatdrop

I bought my jump rope from dollar store... Cheap for a start haha.

Lately I do 30 minutes jumping slow, one jump, not double jump and I was able to do non stop 31 times without fail while I do for 30 minutes

I am not sure what kind rope is best for me.

I am 5'4 and 160lb.
I wear cross-train light shoes for fitness.

Edit:
I once remember that rope must be at least long from your under arm to other under arm and I just measured it, almost 8 feet long. Or should I get 9 feet?

Where should I practice with it?

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Black Lust Perfume
MaxKon
User Image

sweatdrop

I bought my jump rope from dollar store... Cheap for a start haha.

Lately I do 30 minutes jumping slow, one jump, not double jump and I was able to do non stop 31 times without fail while I do for 30 minutes

I am not sure what kind rope is best for me.

I am 5'4 and 160lb.
I wear cross-train light shoes for fitness.

Edit:
I once remember that rope must be at least long from your under arm to other under arm and I just measured it, almost 8 feet long. Or should I get 9 feet?

Where should I practice with it?

Short ropes go faster, but a longer one might be easier, it depends where in the cycle it hits the ground, you want it to hit just by your feet. You are on the edge between being recommended for a 8 or 9 foot rope.
You should probably get some sort of speed rope, I find it is much easier to swing the rope quickly since they are designed to go quickly, the cord tends to be much lighter.
When I started jumping rope I focused on doing 140 jumps, trying to do it in as few sets as possible. If you go too long when starting out you will quickly get tired and then lose your good form, and then you are just reinforcing bad form and that will be much harder to unlearn later, also much higher chance of injury.
I think you should only do around 200 jumps per session, and use the rest of the 30 minutes to practise jumping without the rope and swinging the rope as i said in the first post, you can also jump while swinging it like that.

Sexy Turtle

MaxKon

Short ropes go faster, but a longer one might be easier, it depends where in the cycle it hits the ground, you want it to hit just by your feet. You are on the edge between being recommended for a 8 or 9 foot rope.
You should probably get some sort of speed rope, I find it is much easier to swing the rope quickly since they are designed to go quickly, the cord tends to be much lighter.
When I started jumping rope I focused on doing 140 jumps, trying to do it in as few sets as possible. If you go too long when starting out you will quickly get tired and then lose your good form, and then you are just reinforcing bad form and that will be much harder to unlearn later, also much higher chance of injury.
I think you should only do around 200 jumps per session, and use the rest of the 30 minutes to practise jumping without the rope and swinging the rope as i said in the first post, you can also jump while swinging it like that.
User Image

Wow, you sure give good informations. So is that site you gave me is good to buy a starter jump rope? Should I choose speed rope?
Is it normal for people to jump on ropes on hard floor or outside on grass is better or what?

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Black Lust Perfume
MaxKon

User Image

Wow, you sure give good informations. So is that site you gave me is good to buy a starter jump rope? Should I choose speed rope?
Is it normal for people to jump on ropes on hard floor or outside on grass is better or what?
Grass isn't very good since it is not flat and so you can easily land at an angle and hurt yourself, maybe a soccer field is ok, but I prefer to jump inside.
And yes that site is good, they are pretty cheap too. I got to play with their newest ropes too, which are awesome, but a little expensive.

Sexy Turtle

MaxKon
User Image

I liked to jump on hard floor, I was just wondering about grass, that all heh.
I noticed that you said you got certified, can you explain more about that?

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Black Lust Perfume
MaxKon
User Image

I liked to jump on hard floor, I was just wondering about grass, that all heh.
I noticed that you said you got certified, can you explain more about that?

I like hard floors too, just make sure you land quietly.
I'm becoming a personal trainer, and a lot of companies offer one day workshops where they instruct you on how to use and teach the use of their equipment. I went to one for jump rope.

Sexy Turtle

MaxKon

I like hard floors too, just make sure you land quietly.
I'm becoming a personal trainer, and a lot of companies offer one day workshops where they instruct you on how to use and teach the use of their equipment. I went to one for jump rope.
User Image

Nice! I just ordered a speed rope. How long does it usually take to arrive to the house?

Jump quietly? How? Haha, I am Deaf and I cant hear myself making something loud or quiet. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff