Welcome to Gaia! ::

still get in my daily cardio without running or walking?
I would love to be able to swim instead but I don't belong to a pool, so that's out of the question.
I've heard biking is acceptable, but I have to confirm this.
Any ideas?
Thank you!

Humorist

Are you sure is actually shin splints? Because if it is ; you literally wouldn't be able to walk. It's probably just your body getting accustomed to the daily workouts you're doing. If you're legs are hurting but not a lot I would just recommend putting an ice pack or even better put your legs into a tub of iced water. This helps relieve soreness and flushes out lactic acids that build up in your muscles .I would also recommend to still do your daily run/walk or whatever you do. Biking is also nice, but you don't burn as much calories as you would be running unless you went a couple of miles. Oh and also remember to take at least 5-15 mins stretching,core exercises, warm-ups, and agility exercises before you work out. This can lessen the chances of you getting further injuries.
Hope this helped!

Familiar Regular

4,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
bitchsauce
still get in my daily cardio without running or walking?
I would love to be able to swim instead but I don't belong to a pool, so that's out of the question.
I've heard biking is acceptable, but I have to confirm this.
Any ideas?
Thank you!

You'll definitely want to do non-contact cardio which includes most water sports. Be sure you stretch plenty, ice your shins a TON! Also look at your footwear. If you're flatfooted like me, you'll want to get shoes with good arch-support or inserts/orthodics. Be sure you adhere to no-contact as this may cause your shin-splints to worsen. Be sure you take ibuprofin for inflammation/swelling. IF things get worse, talk to a personal trainer/doctor/coach.
Biking is fine. If you're running, make sure you buy shoes that are built for it, like Asics. You might have a strange landing with your foot that causes mild shin splints. Ice your shins. Do elliptical or biking instead for a while.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff