Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Dabbler

Originally when the Health & Fitness forum was released, I was a bit disappointed. Where was I to get home remedy advice on how to handle silly health issues?

You know all those cure-alls your grandmother always told you about before and after you got sick?
Well, I've now created a place for them!

If you have any home remedy type cures that do not require a doctor's help that you would like to share, OR, are looking for others' creative suggestions, please post here! I'd love to see any recipes for how to get rid of bloody noses & hiccups from how to prevent insomnia!

My main goal for this thread is to share uncommon ideas, ie, nothing from webmd or other medical sites, or nothing like "I just take cough syrup to get rid of a cough." I'm also accepting posts regarding natural beauty!

Ready, set, get your undoctored advice cap on and GO!

Please be aware all the formatting is still under construction!

Dapper Dabbler

User's Home Remedies!
Since I just started this thread... here are some ideas for you to add to!

Please note that if you use any of these "remedies" they are done so at your own risk.

[ A ]
Acne
Apply witch hazel with a pad. This also helps rid of scars. --jessi458

Use 1 tbsp honey and 1/2 cup oatmeal with 2 tbsp olive oil. --jessi458

Strawberry face mask recipe for acne:
Mix ½ cup of fresh strawberries with a tablespoon of sour cream. Apply on cleaned skin and leave the mask for 15-20 minutes then wash it with warm water.
The Strawberry juice helps to tighten the skin while the cream hydrates tired and dehydrated skin. It’s also a good and gentle scrub. --Miss Esa

[ B ]

Blisters
Aloe fresh from the cactus. A friend of mine also related to me his experience with painful sunburns. He said by showering with hotter water, he was able to "burn" the pain out. --Dominatrix LaDeaux

Bloody Noses
Lying back with pressure applied to the bleeding nostril is about the only way to clot the blood and repair the damaged tissue quickest. --Dominatrix LaDeaux

Body Aches
Menthol is good for overworked muscles, and stretching may help with joint pain. --Dominatrix LaDeaux

Broken heart
A night to yourself to listen to depressing music and cry your eyes out. If you haven't gotten yourself together by morning of the next day, just pick up the pieces and keep moving along. You have better things to be doing than bawling over something that's in the past. It doesn't mean forget it completely, but don't brood over it either. --Dominatrix LaDeaux

[ C ]
Cancer
Google "hemp oil" recipes.
Please note I do not condone the use of illegal drugs and am posting this for users where (medical) marijuana is a legal substance.

Common Colds
Warm honey tea works well especially if you can drink some when you feel a cold coming on. If it's too late, lots of vitamin C and zinc, and avoidance of dairy and sugar. It also wouldn't hurt if you'd try to consume the recommended daily dose of garlic. --Dominatrix LaDeaux

[ G ]
Gerd
- Don't wear anything very tight around your waist.
- Eat smaller meals to avoid overeating.
- Avoid foods and drinks that cause heart burn, or trigger your symptoms.
- Don't lie down after a meal.
- No smoking.
- Have a healthy weight.
- Put a few pillows under your head and chest at night for nighttime attacks. --Hissori Purotekuta

[ H ]
Hiccups
I like to hold my breath and kind of "fake hiccup" to get my diaphragm going at a good pace again. To avoid them, drink soda slowly as drinking it too fast will inevitably lead to hiccups. --Dominatrix LaDeaux

Drink water through a paper towel or napkin. --dizziedobsession

[ M ]
Mono
Your taste may be off, so finding a sour-tasting drink will give you some flavor back.'

Use Listerine or some other mouthwash frequently! It helps numb your throat AND kill the bacteria in it.

Use throat spray to numb your throat.

Rest. -dizziedobsession

Mosquito Bites/Bug Bites
Running cold water or applying lotion over the area helps with the itching. For things like chigger bites, liquid bandages suffocate the bugs. --Dominatrix LaDeaux

I saw this idea online one summer I got bit up. Take rubbing alcohol and put it on your bites, then put a piece of tape over top. Supposedly it sucks out the venom. --dizziedobsession

[ O ]
Oily Hair
Put lemon in your hair and leave in for 5 minutes, then shower. (Note: you can mix it with water so it won't be too strong.) --jessi458

Rinse your hair with 2 tablespoons of vinegar and 1 cup of water. --jessi458

Dilute tea and rinse your hair. --jessi458

[ S ]
Skinned knees/scrapes
Honey may work. (untested) --Dominatrix LaDeaux

Sore Throats

Stomach Aches
If your stomach is just upset, peppermints and water are good. If it's more like an "ate too much" scenario, leaning over may help reduce the pressure on your stomach until some of the food gets processed. --Dominatrix LaDeaux

Stomach Cramps
Lots and lots of jasmine, lavender, or vanilla scents. I like to dab some jasmine essential oils on a cloth if I'm having dysmenorrhea issues. --Dominatrix LaDeaux

Heating pads & lots of ibuprofen. --dizziedobsession

Dapper Dabbler

Overflow :]

Dapper Dabbler

Help! How do I ... ?
Below is a list of ongoing "cures". Please add your suggestion and help out a user or two! (They will be updated once people need this space!)

Combat Acid Reflux?

Deal with a pinched nerve?

Stay beautiful without chemicals and/or makeup?

Make my sore throat feel better?

Handle allergies?

Helpful Links

For Acne (and probably others): http://www.natural-homeremedies.com/homeremedies_acne.htm
Common Colds - Warm honey tea works well especially if you can drink some when you feel a cold coming on. If it's too late, lots of vitamin C and zinc, and avoidance of dairy and sugar. It also wouldn't hurt if you'd try to consume the recommended daily dose of garlic.

Stomach Aches - If your stomach is just upset, peppermints and water are good. If it's more like an "ate too much" scenario, leaning over may help reduce the pressure on your stomach until some of the food gets processed.

Blisters - Aloe fresh from the cactus. A friend of mine also related to me his experience with painful sunburns. He said by showering with hotter water, he was able to "burn" the pain out. I don't go out in the sun enough to know, but that's his idea.

Mosquito Bites/Bug Bites - Running cold water or applying lotion over the area helps with the itching. For things like chigger bites, liquid bandages suffocate the bugs.

Bloody Noses - Lying back with pressure applied to the bleeding nostril is about the only way to clot the blood and repair the damaged tissue quickest.

Hiccups - I like to hold my breath and kind of "fake hiccup" to get my diaphragm going at a good pace again. To avoid them, drink soda slowly as drinking it too fast will inevitably lead to hiccups.

Stomach Cramps - Lots and lots of jasmine, lavender, or vanilla scents. I like to dab some jasmine essential oils on a cloth if I'm having dysmenorrhea issues.

Body Aches - Menthol is good for overworked muscles, and stretching may help with joint pain.

Broken heart - A night to yourself to listen to depressing music and cry your eyes out. If you haven't gotten yourself together by morning of the next day, just pick up the pieces and keep moving along. You have better things to be doing than bawling over something that's in the past. It doesn't mean forget it completely, but don't brood over it either.

Skinned knee - I haven't tried honey on open cuts and scrapes, but I'm willing to bet it works on humans, too.

Dapper Dabbler

Dominatrix LaDeaux
IDEAS!

Thanks so much for all of these!
Do you mind if I cite you next to them once I get them posted?
I forgot to mention that in my first posts.

SO. MANY. IDEAS!
can you also post stuff about natural beauty remedies
and about acne remedies?

Dapper Dabbler

jessi458
can you also post stuff about natural beauty remedies
and about acne remedies?

Yes! I will add that in the third post biggrin
Thanks!

Edit;; Done!
You'll have to check back to see if anyone leaves comments about them!
lol okay
well i have some for hair
if you have oily hair like i used to
each point is a different recipe/method
☻put lemon in your hair and leave in for 5 minutes than shower.
(you can mix it with water so it wont be to strong)

☻2 tablespoons of vinegar and 1 cup of water and rinse your hair

☻dilute tea and rinse your hair

For Acne
☻witch hazel apply it with a pad also helps rid of scars

☻1 tbsp honey and 1/2 cup oatmeal with 2 tbsp olive oil

heres a website with more acne remedies
click smile

Dapper Dabbler

jessi458
lol okay
well i have some for hair
if you have oily hair like i used to
☻put lemon in your hair and leave in for 5 minutes than shower.
(you can mix it with water so it wont be to strong)
☻2 tablespoons of vinegar and 1 cup of water and rinse your hair
☻dilute tea and rinse your hair

For Acne
☻witch hazel apply it with a pad also helps rid of scars
☻1 tbsp honey and 1/2 cup oatmeal with 2 tbsp olive oil
heres a website with more acne remedies
click smile

Alright, I added these in.

Is each bullet a different remedy, or are they just one per idea?
I've never used either, so I'm not sure if you're supposed to use lemon, then vinegar and water, then tea... or if those are separate razz
Same goes with the Acne.
dizziedobsession

oops sorry
each point is a different recipe
ill fix it

Dapper Dabbler

jessi458
dizziedobsession

oops sorry
each point is a different recipe
ill fix it

I've got it smile
dizziedobsession
Thanks so much for all of these!
Do you mind if I cite you next to them once I get them posted?
I forgot to mention that in my first posts.

SO. MANY. IDEAS!

Nah, I don't mind. smile

Interesting Nerd

Strawberry face mask recipe for acne:

Mix ½ cup of fresh strawberries with a tablespoon of sour cream. Apply on cleaned skin and leave the mask for 15-20 minutes then wash it with warm water.
The Strawberry juice helps to tighten the skin while the cream hydrates tired and dehydrated skin. It’s also a good and gentle scrub.
Cure for Cancer

Hemp (oil) or commonly know as medicinal marijuana is being tested on cancer patience with great success usually curing within 3-6 months with daily doses. Hemp oil can be produced in your own kitchen for indepth detail google it lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff