Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Darling

I have been trying to lose weight for a while now, and today it just clicked that I don't think I go a day without eating lots of starches.
which are bad starches (cheese bread, noodles, the works emotion_donotwant )

Has anyone over come addictions to these foods?
How long was it till you weren't craving it?
What did you use when you had cravings?

I know starches and sugars are near impossible to keep out of a diet, but I really don't want to feel like just eating plain bread when I crave (that's not normal Dx)

Hilarious Genius

I love food
I used to eat alot of bad things when I was hungry, all the time.
Im lucky because I do lots of sports and my metabolism is high, but I still changed those bad habits.
Its not the easiest thing but you will need 3 things.
-Dedication
-Dedication
-Dedication

First of all, try to eat a good breakfast. This is the most important meal of your day, you will need some good carbs and full cal.
When you have a craving, eat fruits, yogurt, nuts. I promise, after 1-2 months of doing so, not only will you be more energetic, more fit and healthier, you will also get used to it and LOVE it.
I used to be a huge chocolate, sugar fan, but now, when im craving, I eat fruits, and im happy.

Dapper Darling

BendOnMe
I love food
Im lucky because I do lots of sports and my metabolism is high, but I still changed those bad habits.
-Dedication
-Dedication
-Dedication

First of all, try to eat a good breakfast. This is the most important meal of your day, you will need some good carbs and full cal.
When you have a craving, eat fruits, yogurt, nuts. I promise, after 1-2 months of doing so, not only will you be more energetic, more fit and healthier, you will also get used to it and LOVE it.
I used to be a huge chocolate, sugar fan, but now, when im craving, I eat fruits, and im happy.

That's awesome! I am trying, today I ran and got some walnuts and almonds at the natural food store. I think I'm gonna try the paleo diet. I also found out I'm lactose intolerant so cutting out dairy products might help me lose weight.

How long did it take you to get over your sugar addiction?

Hilarious Genius

hell0 3aby
BendOnMe
I love food
-Dedication
-Dedication
-Dedication

That's awesome! I am trying, today I ran and got some walnuts and almonds at the natural food store. I think I'm gonna try the paleo diet. I also found out I'm lactose intolerant so cutting out dairy products might help me lose weight.

I have my personal trainer certificate and Nutrition certificate so im glad to help.

As for diets, I wouldnt suggest doing paleo right off the bat.
You need to know what you body needs first. For ex; I train alot, and hardcore. So I need alot of protein and lots of carbs. So I eat about 3500 cal / day
Eat what your body needs.
You get used to stop eating bad sugar pretty fast since your body dosnt NEED it. And you got lots of sugar in fruits, but those are called good sugar.

Anima6996's Fangirl

Invisible Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
hime pudding
I have been trying to lose weight for a while now, and today it just clicked that I don't think I go a day without eating lots of starches.
which are bad starches (cheese bread, noodles, the works emotion_donotwant )

Has anyone over come addictions to these foods?
How long was it till you weren't craving it?
What did you use when you had cravings?

I know starches and sugars are near impossible to keep out of a diet, but I really don't want to feel like just eating plain bread when I crave (that's not normal Dx)

If you have an addiction to sugary foods, try eating fruit. At least, that's how I managed to stop eating all sorts of sugary crap that was totally screwing up my body. For chips and stuff, that might be a little harder but generally if you don't buy it then you can't eat it. Or ask someone in your house to keep an eye on it so you can't disappear into your room with a laptop/book and a bag of chips and down the entire thing.

For craving control, keeping a pack of sugar free gum usually helped. And they come in fun flavors too now, so you can get a bit of mint chocolate chip ice cream in gum form razz

Aged Wench

12,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Megathread 100
It takes a good 4 to 6 months of eating a healthy diet to forget about those foods. It's not even that you will stop craving those foods per say as you will simply be in the habit of eating new and better for you foods.
The good news is that if you are craving carbs/starches it's because you are lacking nutrition in your diet. Once you start eating a more balanced and nutritious diet you won't even think about carbs or starches because you know they don't provide sustained energy and that you will crash after eating them. They will become undesirable because they are junk food and you will notice how bad they made your body feel.
What I do to curb cravings is to look up alternative healthy recipes to things I used to enjoy or I'll eat veggies/whole foods till I feel like I'm going to pop. That's the awesome thing about eating whole foods is that you don't have to count calories.
For really intense cravings for chocolate. (Because I get those from time to time and I NEED chocolate) I will buy unsweetened chocolate and sweeten it with a little honey, melt it and pour it over fruit and nuts. When it's hardened in the fridge I will have that indulgence.
Preparing treats like this will also put you more in the mindset that treats are meant to be had infrequently.
However, the best way to lose weight along with diet change is exercise. You cannot lose weight and be fit from diet alone.

Conservative Voter

6,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
Thanks for posting this, because I am in the same exact boat right now.

Mewling Cat

Eat apple. It works. Everytime I crave. I only eat that fruit. smile Goodluck on your diet plan! wink

Beloved Gekko

7,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Mark Twain 100
I found it helps to plan what you're going to eat ahead of time when you're not hungry so you aren't tempted.

Divine Zealot

hime pudding

Just so you know, paleo is NOT a low-carbohydrate. If you go to paleo approved carbohydrate sources, you should be just fine. I wouldn't worry about being "addicted" to them. These are the body's preferred energy source and the body runs most efficiently on them.
You can start slow at first
Take it easy
Drink a lot of water
Walk up and down stairs if you have to sweat
Get the sugar out the body by sweating it out and flushing it with plenty of water.

Go for things like your favorite fruit plums, kiwis , etc.

Start slow by maybe not cutting it off All the way but eat one slice at a time Instead of the whole roll.

Eat half the plate instead of a full plate of Spaghetti, etc.

Hope this helps
I went on Atkins a few years back with my father (Both my father and I digest carbs very quickly so they get stored away by being turned straight into fat deposits) And though it did not work well for me (work great for my dad though so Im glad for that) it did help me learn that I am capable of at the very least cutting down on my starch intake.

We had been warned that the first month would be super hard, and it really was, and to be honest there was still the occasional really bad craving but you just sort of learned to muscle through it and they did happen les often after the first month was over. The trick was to have plenty of interesting meals that dont contain, or contain very little of the substance you are wanting to avoid.
Also finding substitutes really help. For example starches like bread and pasta are often used as transport devices for other foods, So instead find different foods to help transport the yummy toppings. Like a taco salad with lots of fresh lettuce instead of an actual taco (and go easy on the cheese), Or my personal favorite Spaghetti Squash instead of spaghetti noodles. Especially if you load up your sauce with a bunch of veg like carrots, broccoli, celery, mushrooms, zucchini, ect, Its just soooo flavorful and yummy.

Also, Im sure you have heard this several times, drink a BUNCH of water. Often when you get the munchies its actually because you are thirsty and because your body assumes if there was water around you would be drinking it it turns to its second source of water, food. And its a great way to get rid of sweet tooths. Even to this day when I get a really bad craving for chocolate or other sweets I drink a glass or two of water and suddenly my "Got to have!" craving just kinda fades.

Hope this helps and the best of luck biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces