Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Singing

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Sooooo, I decided I want to let my hair grow long again like it used to be. Right now it's just chest-long. However I need some advice from you guys on how to properly take care of them. I sometimes apply olive oil before washing them and I let it there for more than an hour, but that's not enough. I also try to wear a hoodie whenever I get on my motorbike so they don't 'break' when the wind is too strong. I cut them once in three months which was my hairdresser's advice for helping them grow , but I need some tips for daily care! Anyone out there willing to help ?

Interesting Gaian

Cut down on the amount you brush/comb your hair. Although brushing can be nice to keep your hair from matting up, it can also be harmful due to it breaking off hair.

Also, Stay away from chemicals (Bleaching,Dying,Relaxers,Perms, Etc.)
And Definitely Stay away from Heat tools (Straightening, Curling Iron/Wand, Blow Dryer)

Don't put your hair in ponytails and buns or tight cornrows (scalp braids) too often, as it can cause unneeded pressure on your hair.

If you want to go the 'extra mile' Invest in a good protein treatment (Ion Reconstruction works well and is available at Sally's Beauty Supply if you're in the states) although it will not make your hair soft, it will give it more elasticity, and strength. The olive oil is good, But try also investing in Moroccan oil and Argon oil, mix them together with the olive oil and heat it till it is as warm as you can handle, lather it in your hair, and let it sit for 1 hour while wrapped in foil. This will trap the heat in your hair and get deep into your hair shaft and cuticle and make your hair nice shiny and mend split ends.

As far as shampoo and conditioner go, it doesn't really make a difference to me, although i do prefer "Mane n' Tail" Brand Shampoo and conditioner.

Hope i could help!

Quotable Singing

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Izzy Infectious
Cut down on the amount you brush/comb your hair. Although brushing can be nice to keep your hair from matting up, it can also be harmful due to it breaking off hair.

Also, Stay away from chemicals (Bleaching,Dying,Relaxers,Perms, Etc.)
And Definitely Stay away from Heat tools (Straightening, Curling Iron/Wand, Blow Dryer)

Don't put your hair in ponytails and buns or tight cornrows (scalp braids) too often, as it can cause unneeded pressure on your hair.

If you want to go the 'extra mile' Invest in a good protein treatment (Ion Reconstruction works well and is available at Sally's Beauty Supply if you're in the states) although it will not make your hair soft, it will give it more elasticity, and strength. The olive oil is good, But try also investing in Moroccan oil and Argon oil, mix them together with the olive oil and heat it till it is as warm as you can handle, lather it in your hair, and let it sit for 1 hour while wrapped in foil. This will trap the heat in your hair and get deep into your hair shaft and cuticle and make your hair nice shiny and mend split ends.

As far as shampoo and conditioner go, it doesn't really make a difference to me, although i do prefer "Mane n' Tail" Brand Shampoo and conditioner.

Hope i could help!

Thank you for all these ! I am afraid these products are not available where I live but I'm sure I can figure out something ! I've heard something about eggs and oil. Do you think such kind of treatment would work ?

Mega Gawker

7,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Would you be willing to use henna in your hair? That stuff is amazing, if you like to dye your hair.

Interesting Gaian

Henna is very hard to get rid of without the proper professional products. Henna is literally a hair stain and in order to lift it from your cuticle you would have to use an INSANE amount of bleach, or have access to a special color stripper. I wouldn't suggest it unless you're absolutely dedicated to a hair color.

Mega Gawker

7,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Sugarpill Cosmetics
Henna is very hard to get rid of without the proper professional products. Henna is literally a hair stain and in order to lift it from your cuticle you would have to use an INSANE amount of bleach, or have access to a special color stripper. I wouldn't suggest it unless you're absolutely dedicated to a hair color.

I wouldn't use bleach with real henna. :/ It mess up your hair.

I wouldn't use bleach PERIOD, it is terrible for your hair.

Quotable Singing

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
I like my hair color but I'm thinking of adding highlights.

Golden Fatcat

this is what i did for two years to get my hair to near my belly button

- refrain from dying your hair.. try to never dye it or dye it every several months if you have to
- try to wash your hair as little as you can, sounds disgusting but i'm used to it haha
- don't brush your hair after your shower. use a wide tooth comb
- oil up your hair as much as possible; coconut oil is good and natural
- eat healthy and drink a lot of water
- do hair massages
- avoid hot tools on your hairrrr
- don't cut it! but trimming is good for it; helps get rid of split ends and stops split ends from splitting more & more

Quotable Singing

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
lullies

- refrain from dying your hair.. try to never dye it or dye it every several months if you have to
- try to wash your hair as little as you can, sounds disgusting but i'm used to it haha
- do hair massages
- don't cut it! but trimming is good for it; helps get rid of split ends and stops split ends from splitting more & more

Thanks for the tips! I use olive oil! Does this work? Also do you have any tips for the summer ? Salt and sun can destroy it completely.

Golden Fatcat

Irina96
lullies

- do hair massages

Thanks for the tips! I use olive oil! Does this work? Also do you have any tips for the summer ? Salt and sun can destroy it completely.

i've never tried olive oil but i think its healthyyyy, try googling reviews for it in hair =)
and i never go to the beach in the summer lol, if i do, i try not to get my hair wet cause the ocean is disgusting.
as for the summer, I STAY INSIDE THE WHOLE TWO MONTHS. LOL so i'm no help there.
but i actually grow out my hair the most in the summer because i'm a hermit and i only go out once a week; so the rest of the week i actually don't wash my hair. i'm seriously gross haha.

but i think there is sunscreen for the hair!

Quotable Singing

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
lullies
Irina96
lullies

- do hair massages

i've never tried olive oil but i think its healthyyyy, try googling reviews for it in hair =)
and i never go to the beach in the summer lol, if i do, i try not to get my hair wet cause the ocean is disgusting.
as for the summer, I STAY INSIDE THE WHOLE TWO MONTHS. LOL so i'm no help there.
but i actually grow out my hair the most in the summer because i'm a hermit and i only go out once a week; so the rest of the week i actually don't wash my hair. i'm seriously gross haha.

but i think there is sunscreen for the hair!

I go to the beach about every day in summer! We have plenty of it where I live!

Timid Sex Symbol

11,300 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Forum Regular 100
lullies

- do hair massages

i will have to try this! my hair is just at my chest and i want to get it as long as you have it

Timid Sex Symbol

11,300 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Forum Regular 100
i find that when i need to put my hair into a ponytail its a good idea to keep changing the height of it so i dont weaken one area

Quotable Singing

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
dancingprincess435
i find that when i need to put my hair into a ponytail its a good idea to keep changing the height of it so i dont weaken one area

It will weaken many huh?

Timid Sex Symbol

11,300 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Irina96
dancingprincess435

It will weaken many huh?
like if you always put your hair in a high ponytail, that hair is weaker compared if you put your hair in a low, mid, or high ponytail on opposite days

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff