Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
the difference between sumoes and micheal phelps, who both train all day, is phelps eats a massive breakfast and sumoes eat a massive dinner.

Michael Phelps is a drug addict and swimmers and wrestlers have two completely different diets and training schedules. And considering the average person is neither of those things, it's irrelevant to compare. In an average day, are you really going to excessively exercise and eat 5X your normal caloric intake? I think not.

Greedy Consumer

Dominatrix LaDeaux
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
the difference between sumoes and micheal phelps, who both train all day, is phelps eats a massive breakfast and sumoes eat a massive dinner.

Michael Phelps is a drug addict and swimmers and wrestlers have two completely different diets and training schedules. And considering the average person is neither of those things, it's irrelevant to compare. In an average day, are you really going to excessively exercise and eat 5X your normal caloric intake? I think not.
http://www.healthylifestyleart.com/want-to-lose-weight-dont-skip-breakfast
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu

Hehe. Now to explain why teachers don't let you use Wikipedia for school projects. Please excuse the rather long post.
Quote:

1. Breakfast wakes up your metabolism. If you skip breakfast, your body responds to not eating for hours and hours by slowing down it’s metabolic rate. By eating breakfast you wake up your metabolism and your body starts to burn those calories which you need to burn to lose weight.

Metabolism doesn't stop or slow down simply because you don't eat every 8 hours. It stays constant for a long time before it slows down. By the time it would start doing some damage, you would have already eaten and thus avoided the metabolic "crash" you're thinking of. The people who do ridiculous water fasts for three days at a time, they are the ones that suffer this metabolic crash as a result of calorie avoidance for over 24 hours at a time. Just the average "skipping breakfast" routine will not harm your metabolism in any way.
Quote:
2. Eating breakfast helps to lose weight. Researchers have repeatedly shown that people who eat breakfast have a better chance of losing weight, and keeping it off. When you skip meals, you’re so hungry by lunchtime you’d eat an entire cow! Research carried out at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh has shown that eating breakfast cereal in the morning helps aid weight loss.

It's no wonder you'd want to eat breakfast like most people. If you eat six times a day, you will be hungry six times a day. If you eat once a day, you'll be hungry once a day. I don't eat breakfast or lunch, so I don't have to worry about excessive hunger throughout the day. It's a bodily conditioning kind of thing. Once you get used to eating less, you will eat less and not become hungry. It's not that hard to get over hunger pangs.
Quote:
3. Breakfast increases the productivity of your mind. Breakfast helps wake you up. Studies show that people who eat breakfast are more alert and do better on tests than people who skip breakfast.

It's not the food that's waking you up, it's the sugar. If you're fatigued in the morning, eat a piece of candy. It will have the same effect as a bowl of cereal or whatever. Again, I am conditioned against eating breakfast, so I'm never really fatigued in the morning, just the usual tired feeling that comes with waking up at the crack of dawn. Interestingly enough, fasting is well-known for its effects on the mind. Warriors in particular are known to fast before battles to provide clarity of mind, and fasting has been used in religious practices for the same effect.
Quote:
4. Breakfast is your chance to eat the foods you may not eat the rest of the day. The total calories received by midday, the body burns. So if you really want to enjoy a pastry, better do it at breakfast than at night.

I don't know where that idea even stems from. Does this mean that I should hoard buckets of ice cream in the morning because I'll just work it off in time for lunch? That's a pretty far out notion. Your body burns off calories throughout the day just sustaining vital functions, and the rest of it is burned through physical exercise or stored. So unless you're a couch potato and don't even attempt to exercise once in awhile, you will burn off most calories whenever you are most active. If I decide to eat dinner and then work out before bed, I will have burned off many calories while my dinner digested, and created a calorie deficit suitable for my dinner. The food would digest while I sleep and keep me satisfied throughout the day until my next meal, all without adding fat. People who eat lots before bed compared to people who eat huge breakfasts are also less likely to gain weight in general. For this, I refer you to the wonderfully researched LeanGains article on late night eating.
Quote:
5. Skipping breakfast makes you irritable. Studies show that people who eat breakfast tend to be in better moods (when I’m hungry – watch out!). Breakfast gets you started on the right track for the day. If you start out with a healthy breakfast, then you set the mood for lunch. You’re more likely to choose something reasonable for lunch if you’ve paid some attention to your breakfast choices.

This is basically the same thing as #2 above. You won't be irritable if you control your body. You also will be less likely to eat something gross and sugary if you control the hunger and in general eat healthy like you're supposed to. Cane sugar was never meant to be a part of your everyday diet.
Quote:
6. If you’re parent, show a good example. By skipping breakfast, your kids will think it’s not important. The whole family can sit together around, not just dinner, but at the breakfast table. Make it a habit, and it will be a big deal for all of you.

Breakfast isn't all that important anyway, but okay. I know I don't want to make a big deal out of eating in the morning, probably because it's not important and my not being a morning person makes me a bit pissy when I wake up. The last thing I want to do is be one of those smug morning people I despise for being so cheery in the morning. stare But this one is just more of me playing the devil's advocate than anything.

Greedy Consumer

Dominatrix LaDeaux
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu

Hehe. Now to explain why teachers don't let you use Wikipedia for school projects. Please excuse the rather long post.
Quote:

1. Breakfast wakes up your metabolism. If you skip breakfast, your body responds to not eating for hours and hours by slowing down it’s metabolic rate. By eating breakfast you wake up your metabolism and your body starts to burn those calories which you need to burn to lose weight.

Metabolism doesn't stop or slow down simply because you don't eat every 8 hours. It stays constant for a long time before it slows down. By the time it would start doing some damage, you would have already eaten and thus avoided the metabolic "crash" you're thinking of. The people who do ridiculous water fasts for three days at a time, they are the ones that suffer this metabolic crash as a result of calorie avoidance for over 24 hours at a time. Just the average "skipping breakfast" routine will not harm your metabolism in any way.
Quote:
2. Eating breakfast helps to lose weight. Researchers have repeatedly shown that people who eat breakfast have a better chance of losing weight, and keeping it off. When you skip meals, you’re so hungry by lunchtime you’d eat an entire cow! Research carried out at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh has shown that eating breakfast cereal in the morning helps aid weight loss.

It's no wonder you'd want to eat breakfast like most people. If you eat six times a day, you will be hungry six times a day. If you eat once a day, you'll be hungry once a day. I don't eat breakfast or lunch, so I don't have to worry about excessive hunger throughout the day. It's a bodily conditioning kind of thing. Once you get used to eating less, you will eat less and not become hungry. It's not that hard to get over hunger pangs.
Quote:
3. Breakfast increases the productivity of your mind. Breakfast helps wake you up. Studies show that people who eat breakfast are more alert and do better on tests than people who skip breakfast.

It's not the food that's waking you up, it's the sugar. If you're fatigued in the morning, eat a piece of candy. It will have the same effect as a bowl of cereal or whatever. Again, I am conditioned against eating breakfast, so I'm never really fatigued in the morning, just the usual tired feeling that comes with waking up at the crack of dawn. Interestingly enough, fasting is well-known for its effects on the mind. Warriors in particular are known to fast before battles to provide clarity of mind, and fasting has been used in religious practices for the same effect.
Quote:
4. Breakfast is your chance to eat the foods you may not eat the rest of the day. The total calories received by midday, the body burns. So if you really want to enjoy a pastry, better do it at breakfast than at night.

I don't know where that idea even stems from. Does this mean that I should hoard buckets of ice cream in the morning because I'll just work it off in time for lunch? That's a pretty far out notion. Your body burns off calories throughout the day just sustaining vital functions, and the rest of it is burned through physical exercise or stored. So unless you're a couch potato and don't even attempt to exercise once in awhile, you will burn off most calories whenever you are most active. If I decide to eat dinner and then work out before bed, I will have burned off many calories while my dinner digested, and created a calorie deficit suitable for my dinner. The food would digest while I sleep and keep me satisfied throughout the day until my next meal, all without adding fat. People who eat lots before bed compared to people who eat huge breakfasts are also less likely to gain weight in general. For this, I refer you to the wonderfully researched LeanGains article on late night eating.
Quote:
5. Skipping breakfast makes you irritable. Studies show that people who eat breakfast tend to be in better moods (when I’m hungry – watch out!). Breakfast gets you started on the right track for the day. If you start out with a healthy breakfast, then you set the mood for lunch. You’re more likely to choose something reasonable for lunch if you’ve paid some attention to your breakfast choices.

This is basically the same thing as #2 above. You won't be irritable if you control your body. You also will be less likely to eat something gross and sugary if you control the hunger and in general eat healthy like you're supposed to. Cane sugar was never meant to be a part of your everyday diet.
Quote:
6. If you’re parent, show a good example. By skipping breakfast, your kids will think it’s not important. The whole family can sit together around, not just dinner, but at the breakfast table. Make it a habit, and it will be a big deal for all of you.

Breakfast isn't all that important anyway, but okay. I know I don't want to make a big deal out of eating in the morning, probably because it's not important and my not being a morning person makes me a bit pissy when I wake up. The last thing I want to do is be one of those smug morning people I despise for being so cheery in the morning. stare But this one is just more of me playing the devil's advocate than anything.
have any sources?
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
have any sources?

Specifically, I recommend taking a look at those links posted in the link I gave you. Generally, the National Library of Medicine has a lot of information on the effects of fasting and metabolic rates. The rest is pretty much stuff you can Google around for, and stuff you will find in medical textbooks. I guess I could look through mine if you're that inclined.

Greedy Consumer

Dominatrix LaDeaux
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
have any sources?

Specifically, I recommend taking a look at those links posted in the link I gave you. Generally, the National Library of Medicine has a lot of information on the effects of fasting and metabolic rates. The rest is pretty much stuff you can Google around for, and stuff you will find in medical textbooks. I guess I could look through mine if you're that inclined.
Well now I googled rat/mice studies for eating later in the day vs earlier in the day, but the closest I came up with was not dinner eating but after dinner eating times. But the one i found would be like, late-night or after dinner snacks or meals, and the rats/mice did end up gaining more weight, but it isn't the exact same thing.
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Well now I googled rat/mice studies for eating later in the day vs earlier in the day, but the closest I came up with was not dinner eating but after dinner eating times. But the one i found would be like, late-night or after dinner snacks or meals, and the rats/mice did end up gaining more weight, but it isn't the exact same thing.

Here you go. This study shows the effects of eating most calories in AM times vs PM times. While the AM group lost slightly more weight, the PM group lost more fat/less muscle than the AM group.
ty for da info
Dominatrix LaDeaux
Actually, your metabolism doesn't need a "kick start" from breakfast. It keeps going and continues burning off fat through the night, even when you're sleeping and doing nothing. When fasting, the body begins burning off fat deposits because you have not consumed anything. The metabolism even slightly increases when fasting for 16-24 hours at a time.

There is no scientific evidence to suggest one needs to eat 6 meals a day to "stoke the fire" as many put it. You could eat 6 small snacks throughout the day, or 1 huge feast at dinner, and you'd still lose the same.

That's pretty much ridiculous. Your body does need breakfast to help your metabolism.
Sure you can lose weight by skipping meals, like breakfast, but it's not the healthy way. Your body will gain it all back after you continue eating again. If anything, breakfast should be the largest or second largest meal of the day.

Here.
User Image
merriwether
That's pretty much ridiculous. Your body does need breakfast to help your metabolism.
Sure you can lose weight by skipping meals, like breakfast, but it's not the healthy way. Your body will gain it all back after you continue eating again. If anything, breakfast should be the largest or second largest meal of the day.

Here.
User Image

But right off the bat, the post identifies fasting as starvation. And somehow even I can debate the very first sentence. I don't overeat after fasting, unless I'm obliged to eat everything at a special event. Overeating means eating more than your goal caloric intake, and by conditioning the body to feel hungry less often, it is seriously difficult to eat that many calories in one sitting without feeling nauseated.

There's not really a "standby mode" for metabolism. It's pretty much constant. This is what you'd call a base metabolic rate, which, if haulted, would prove fatal. Yes your metabolism slows, but you shouldn't be fasting to the point where it does begin to slow, which is the 25 hour mark. A 16 hour fast is a perfect number as it allows for slight metabolic increase before meals.

You also should not be entirely fasted before work outs. Consuming a trivial amount of calories in something like BCAAs would preserve muscle mass and burn fat better than high-calorie protein bars and shakes, many of which are just tons of sugar and moderate protein content. If it's a problem, eat something small, but many people say they excercise just fine without significant caloric intake beforehand. The beauty of fasting is that it is adaptable to any situation.
I always maintained a low body weight by not eating breakfast ever since I was young. What matters is how much you eat over the course of the entire day, not the timing.

Angelic Assailant

10,475 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Restorative Spirit 250
If I don't eat breakfast everyone suffers for it.
I'll just go and be a pigeon. /forever alone.
Light Soprano
I rarely eat breakfast since I usually wake up late (why I usually sign up for afternoon college courses), and my body has always stayed at the same weight. Besides, gaining weight is a good thing for me since I'm underweight--my weight is currently fluctuating between 91 and 93 lbs, and I would love to get to 100 lbs (I'm 5 ft, btw).
I'm 5 ft and in the high 90's, is it wrong to want to loose a couple lbs?

4,950 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
I hate eating breakfast because I don't normally eat any. If I do, I get more hungry during the day.

I hate my wonky self. Also, to the people that want to try fasting as a solution to weight problems, here is my answer:

You'll regret it.

I once went three days without eating. I was in the seventh grade and lost 14 pounds. Even my brother noted the difference.

And enter rebound.

I went up to 140-146 (from 120-129), and during the whole seventh and eight grade I could not get that off. It was in 9th grade that I got skinnier.

But then the pills.

Oh the pills.

Kill them, kill them with fire!

4,950 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Angelic iGirl
If I don't eat breakfast everyone suffers for it.
I'll just go and be a pigeon. /forever alone.

Angelic iGirl:

Nu forever alone.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas