Welcome to Gaia! ::

Smitten Kitten

12,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Hello everyone. Anyone have any ideas on how to eat healthy without breaking the bank? By "eating healthy" I mean less processed food with lots of sugar and getting something in all of the main food groups. Vitamin supplements or smart substitutions?
Any sort of suggestions would be helpful.

Big Duck

6,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
You can freeze food that you buy in bulk. Here are a couple websites that tell you how you can do so. 31 Things You Can Freeze and Traditional Foods.
Plain flash-frozen vegetables with no preservatives are cheaper than fresh where I live. I can get a big bag of frozen broccoli for a dollar, while that same amount fresh would be five. Then I would have to wash it, cut it, etc.
Last year I lived off £5 a week for food, which isnt very much at all, food is expensive here in the UK.

I lived off lentils and brown rice and a few vegetables. It was depressing. Healthy food is so expensive, no wonder everyone is fat
I like to make fruit bowls. I get two different types of berries (I get fresh) one or two cans of diced pineapple in 100% juice (usually costs me a dollar) and a jar or can of mandarin oranges (100% juice) mix them all I. A giant bowl, separate into several small Tupperware containers, and snack away for at least a week. The citric acid from the pineapple keeps the fruit fresher, longer. It costs me usually less than twelve dollars, and I get at least six (with one can of pineapple) bowls.

And you'll hear this a lot: eat in season, freeze extras

Popular Sophomore

13,725 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Athlete 50
Always buy veggies and fruits in season. I'm mostly having cabbage soup and minestrone soup. Here's a website for winter veggies. Also ratatouille is really good to have right now since you can use anything in it.
http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/best005/best005.htm

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces