Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Smoker

9,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • First step to fame 200
I keep reading that you should eat something before you workout, and that it's not good to workout on an empty stomach.

Do you usually eat before you workout?

I don't.
I usually do simply because the only time I can work out is after dinner.
Depending on what you're trying to get out of your work out I think.

It makes sense that you'd want something in your stomach for it to use for carbs/energy and what not. Then it would be more specific on what you want you body to apply it to properly.Protien specifily but I guess it would depend the workout like running

I knew plenty of people who took different protien shakes and pre workout and then drink another once they did their workout, one for energy and building mass and what not.

Y'know?

It can't healthy for your stomach to have nothing to replenish the demanding muscles. from when it needs it.
Idk, but I had this problem where I couldn't workout without something in my belly.
Like it gave me more energy,
But, I wasn't losing weight whenever I did that.
So I skipped eating beforehand.
When I go workout without it, I get tired a lot easier. But, I'm losing weight.
Eating before workouts can help you get bigger if you wanna. But losing weight it's kinda tough. Well, for me it was.
But! it works differently for everyone so. yeah.

Friendly Lunatic

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tycoon 200
Speaking from experience and from other sources, eating before your workout (like a few hours before) will actually increase your performance and you won't be dying half way through. Even if it's like a protein shake or something of the sort, it will help. Just as eating or consuming a shake after your work out will help to build and fortify your muscles and such
Most people say it is. But some people are like me and simply can not do it. I makes me sick to my stomach to literally eat anything before I do any type of work out (which will always include cardio). So I eat after I workout so I don't get sick.

Aged Borg

8,600 Points
  • Torii Attendant 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Somebody Likes You 100
DiaryOfJane
I keep reading that you should eat something before you workout, and that it's not good to workout on an empty stomach.

Do you usually eat before you workout?

I don't.

On the contrary, I find that exercising before I eat has the best results.

Also, if one is trying to lose weight, and trying to use exercise to aid it, you should not exercise on a full stomach. In order to lose weight, you must burn your fat. But, if you just ate, you're burning what you just consumed instead.
Further, working out on a full stomach can make you sick (the messy kind, not the virus kind).
If I work out in the morning, usually cycling on the bike. I'll have a granola bar, cereal or toast and peanut butter. Nothing major like eggs with bacon, potatoes etc. But even just a hardboiled egg with some peppers and hot sauce. (I like hot sauce smile

Hot yoga was great for not worrying about eating, they tell you not to eat before class, and even eating lunch at 12 (indian food) and doing the 5:30 pm class I felt AWFUL. So after stopping yoga, it was kind of strange to make sure I eat something to give energy before working out in the mornings!

And I always finish my workouts with either coconut water or chocolate milk smile

7,850 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200
For some people it works and stuff, but for me, I can't eat (or drink water) before I work out (because every workout I do involves some kind of cardio), or else I end up with really bad cramps and side stitches.

Elder

I'll eat maybe 2 hrs before I work out, but nothing after that. I tend to do a lot of cardio which at the 45 minute mark makes my stomach woozey if I'm still digesting.

I've worked out on empty to varying success. Running, I'm usually fine, lifting, I've got nothing in the tank so I'm dead in 20 minutes.

Conservative Explorer

It's important to eat a light carb that can be digested easily. Like a protein bar or something small.You should eat before working out because you need to fuel your body in order to go through a workout. Often, when people don't eat before working out, after they work out they begin to feel lightheaded. That's happened to me before and I felt like I was going to pass out.

Fatcat

To fuel my exercise, I have either some fruit or a protein/energy bar and a cup of coffee about 30 minutes before working out.
I think if you eat something light then it helps. I always eat a banana, drink some water, and maybe a little peanut butter before I work out. Something in my stomach without getting sick. I always try to eat something bigger afterwards, it helps more for myself.

Shameless Man-Lover

Eating something light before you work out, even more so if you haven't eaten that day at all yet, is a good idea. A piece of fruit, some milk, maybe a piece of toast, and of course, some water. Something to give you a little boast as you work out.
I make sure to never work out when I'm hungry. If I'm not hungry then I'll go ahead, but if I'm hungry the quality of my workout is much lower. Otherwise I personally don't feel like it's important to eat beforehand.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff