Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Conversationalist

9,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Befriended 100
I read about this in one of my grandmother's magazines.

I usually drink 1 mug(2 cups) of coffee in the morning.
The article said to increase to 2 mugs (4 cups).

And in a week i've lost about 5 pounds!
I don't know if it will really help me lose up to 42 pounds like the article said I could,
but i'm willing to give it the old college try.

Anyone else here doing this?

EDIT:
i actually have finally started losing weight... not from the coffee, but from changing medications. now i just drink the coffee because i enjoy it.

EDIT EDIT:
closed. this isn't even my main account and idc about this thread.
Firstly all that caffeine is really going to screw with your head.
Secondly, are you changing what you're eating at all or are you just adding more coffee? If the latter then what you are experiencing is the Placebo Effect, sorry.

9,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Befriended 100
Sigmoonda
Secondly, are you changing what you're eating at all or are you just adding more coffee? If the latter then what you are experiencing is the Placebo Effect, sorry.
I've been dieting for 6 months, and I haven't lost a single pound until I doubled my coffee intake. In one week of doubling my coffee intake, i've lost 5 pounds.
Alyssa Autopsy 2
Sigmoonda
I've been dieting for 6 months, and I haven't lost a single pound until I doubled my coffee intake. In one week of doubling my coffee intake, i've lost 5 pounds.

Placebo effect, sorry about that.
If you've been dieting for six months and not lost even a pound then you need to examine your diet, are you just doing crazy fad diets or are you going for an actual healthy diet? Give us an example of a meal plan.
Do you exercise at all?
As I said though, all that caffeine is really not good for you.

9,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Befriended 100
Sigmoonda
Alyssa Autopsy 2
Sigmoonda

If you've been dieting for six months and not lost even a pound then you need to examine your diet, are you just doing crazy fad diets or are you going for an actual healthy diet? Give us an example of a meal plan.
Do you exercise at all?
i have been dieting by eating healthier overall by making changes. i switched from potato bread to multi-grain, eat one 170calorie granola bar instead of a whole row of oreos, drink soy milk and water instead of soda, switched from lucky charms to special k, get olive oil spread instead of butter, switched from banquet meals to lean cuisine, baked/grilled chicken instead of fried, dried veggie chips instead of potato chips or funyuns, etc. etc. the list goes on. My snacks are now mostly dried veggies and fresh fruit. And I do have ice cream a couple of days a week, but i only eat 1 serving size at a time instead of a heaping bowl like i used to. i've also cut down on portion sizes. i just don't understand why i'm not losing weight...

I try to exercise, but my heart condition makes it difficult and dangerous.
Alyssa Autopsy 2
Sigmoonda
Alyssa Autopsy 2
Sigmoonda

Do you exercise at all?
i have been dieting by eating healthier overall by making changes. i switched from potato bread to multi-grain, eat one 170calorie granola bar instead of a whole row of oreos, drink soy milk and water instead of soda, switched from lucky charms to special k, get olive oil spread instead of butter, switched from banquet meals to lean cuisine, baked/grilled chicken instead of fried, dried veggie chips instead of potato chips or funyuns, etc. etc. the list goes on. My snacks are now mostly dried veggies and fresh fruit. And I do have ice cream a couple of days a week, but i only eat 1 serving size at a time instead of a heaping bowl like i used to. i've also cut down on portion sizes. i just don't understand why i'm not losing weight...

You have a heart condition and now you're drinking a ton of coffee? Did you consult a doctor about that?
Heart conditions plus caffeine are really not a good mix.
If you're doing all that diet-wise and you aren't loosing weight you should probably see a doctor anyway as you might have a thyroid condition.

9,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Befriended 100
Sigmoonda
Alyssa Autopsy 2
Sigmoonda
Alyssa Autopsy 2
Sigmoonda

Do you exercise at all?

You have a heart condition and now you're drinking a ton of coffee? Did you consult a doctor about that?
Heart conditions plus caffeine are really not a good mix.
If you're doing all that diet-wise and you aren't loosing weight you should probably see a doctor anyway as you might have a thyroid condition.
i don't have a doctor. i can't afford one. my only "income" is my $200-a-month food stamps, and those can ONLY be used on food.

i want to see a doctor about my weightloss difficulties but as i said before, i have no income. i'm begging my grandma to set me up with a doctor, but she keeps saying "you're eating too much" even though i've cut down to only 1-2 "meal/s" a day, and the rest is snacking on fruit or vegetables. like i just now had a salad for one of my meals, and in about an hour, when i start to feel hungry, i'm gonna have celery with peanut butter. and my 2nd meal of the day is going to be 1 hot dog and 1 serving of baked beans. i also have slimfast, but i'm not going to be buying it anymore because of the hydrogenated corn oils.

Blessed Fairy

Because of how caffeine works in the body, this is really dangerous for someone with a heart condition (and really not good for anyone else either).

In your brain, there is a chemical called adenosine. When it meets its receptor, you get drowsy. Caffeine is similar enough in structure to adenosine that it will bond to the adenosine receptor and block the adenosine from reaching it. Your body interprets this as a huge emergency, causing your adrenal glands to release tons of adrenaline to deal with the problem. That's how you get a "caffeine rush"; it's really an adrenaline rush.

Adrenaline has a lot of effects, and one of the major things it affects is the heart; it causes the heart to beat faster and pump more strongly. This is great if you're running from a bear, not so good if you're sitting around not doing anything. You're basically artificially activating your fight or flight response and then neither fighting nor fleeing.

Increased caffeine intake has been shown occasionally to assist with weight loss, but it's more likely that it's a placebo effect. That or you're simply losing fluid (water weight) because caffeine is a diuretic.

Try green tea instead. It has much less caffeine and is ever so slightly better for you overall. It also has Epigallocatechin gallate (ECGC), which is a powerful antioxidant not found in black tea or in coffee (fermentation of black tea destroys it and it's simply not found in coffee at all).

Tipsy Genius

4,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
Alyssa Autopsy 2
I read about this in one of my grandmother's magazines.

I usually drink 1 mug(2 cups) of coffee in the morning.
The article said to increase to 2 mugs (4 cups).

And in a week i've lost about 5 pounds!
I don't know if it will really help me lose up to 42 pounds like the article said I could,
but i'm willing to give it the old college try.

Anyone else here doing this?

This kind of plays into my theory that caffeine is the cure all. unless someone has a heart condition. I've been working at a restaurant for 3 years, this last year I decided to take in a lot of caffeine, I have lost 80 this past year. I drink a cup of coffee in the morning, than before I go to work I get either a Java Monster energy drink, or a large cup of coffee from the gas station, and than after I finish that I have about a quart of soda pop from our pop machine at work. I love caffeine. I also believe that caffeine is the cure for cancer.
I drink at least that much coffee every day, but I don't think it's a diet. Just my normal over-caffeinated life. It does make me feel less hungry in between meals, though, I think.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
From the sound of it, you're crash-dieting. Don't do that.

So, you want a diet suited for a heart problem, and it has to be cheap. Here's what ya do.

1. No coffee. Bad. It's a stimulant, like all weight loss stimulants, it'll boost your metabolism... by speeding up your heart. Not a good idea for a heart condition.

2. For breakfast, have a slice of toast, with some cut up fruit on it. This is cheaper by far than cereals. Eat with a cup of green tea. Green tea is fairly cheap too, and has antioxidants, which are good for your heart.

3. For lunch, have your big meal for the day. If you must have frozen food, invest in some tupperware, and freeze your own. Lean cuisines, if I recall, taste lousy for the amount of calories they have, and tend to have quite a bit of salt. Lean cuisines also cost a LOT more than homecooked.
Make this meal have a serving of protien, a serving of complex carbs, and a vegetable.

4. For dinner, have something light. A salad with ranch dressing, for example.

5. For dessert, a little dark chocolate. A little won't hurt that much in calories, and the antioxidants will do you good.

For when you get hungry, try unsalted nuts. Peanuts in the shell are pretty cheap, and are much better for you than peanut butter.

In general, while cooking, avoid salts and fats. Try to use more garlic or avocados. You can also have egg whites and low-fat cheese.

You CAN work out with a heart condition, in fact, that's one of the only ways to make your heart stronger. If you can't get a heart rate monitor, learn to take your pulse. Every now and then, while working out, take your pulse. If it's above 130, slow down.

9,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Befriended 100
Exoth XIII

So, you want a diet suited for a heart problem, and it has to be cheap. Here's what ya do.

1. No coffee. Bad. It's a stimulant, like all weight loss stimulants, it'll boost your metabolism... by speeding up your heart. Not a good idea for a heart condition.

2. For breakfast, have a slice of toast, with some cut up fruit on it. This is cheaper by far than cereals. Eat with a cup of green tea. Green tea is fairly cheap too, and has antioxidants, which are good for your heart.

3. For lunch, have your big meal for the day. If you must have frozen food, invest in some tupperware, and freeze your own. Lean cuisines, if I recall, taste lousy for the amount of calories they have, and tend to have quite a bit of salt. Lean cuisines also cost a LOT more than homecooked.
Make this meal have a serving of protien, a serving of complex carbs, and a vegetable.

5. For dessert, a little dark chocolate. A little won't hurt that much in calories, and the antioxidants will do you good.

For when you get hungry, try unsalted nuts. Peanuts in the shell are pretty cheap, and are much better for you than peanut butter.

In general, while cooking, avoid salts and fats. Try to use more garlic or avocados. You can also have egg whites and low-fat cheese.

You CAN work out with a heart condition, in fact, that's one of the only ways to make your heart stronger. If you can't get a heart rate monitor, learn to take your pulse. Every now and then, while working out, take your pulse. If it's above 130, slow down.
Good advice, except the working out. I used to work out in the gym, but 5 minutes of just walking on the treadmill raises my heartrate to 180. Very dangerous.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Alyssa Autopsy 2
Exoth XIII

Good advice, except the working out. I used to work out in the gym, but 5 minutes of just walking on the treadmill raises my heartrate to 180. Very dangerous.

Walk for a couple of minutes, then stop, until your heart rate is back to a reasonable area.

Devoted Worshipper

9,850 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
I'd be careful; I've 'overdosed' (to use the Doctor's words) on coffee before now, and not only did my parents think it was meningitis at first due to light sensitivity, but the other side-effects took just over a week to fully get out of my system.

Shirtless Smoker

4,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Coffe + Ephedran that s**t
is potent

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash