Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Informer

7,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Informer 100
According to this, Kotetsu x Barnaby is pretty much canon, but for the most part implied.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/HoYay/TigerAndBunny

At the end of the day though, what sexuality the characters are shouldn't stop anyone from watching.
It's strange how people will avoid certain anime based on that alone.
Isn't this 2013, not 1950? confused

Interesting Cutesmasher

5,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Sai X Kaitou
According to this, Kotetsu x Barnaby is pretty much canon, but for the most part implied.

At the end of the day though, what sexuality the characters are shouldn't stop anyone from watching.

This is very true!! But another thing to consider is this quote from Ozaki:

"Ozaki has stated that Kotetsu and Barnaby's relationship is left open to the viewers' interpretations, and that the ambiguity has been intentional since the very beginning. Basically; if you think of it as being romantic, that's correct. If, on the other hand, you think of it as Bromance, that's also correct."

Kotetsu x Barnaby is a HUGE draw for fangirls, and that brings in money to continue the anime. People who are against the pairing should just view it as a marketing ploy (maybe Agnes setting them up or something). Ozaki has stated this at every panel I've seen him in, which is like 3-4, so he wants it to be very clear that their relationship is up to the viewers. (The fangirls usually start raving at that point while the guys all groan though smile )
Cielo718
Sai X Kaitou

This is very true!! But another thing to consider is this quote from Ozaki:

"Ozaki has stated that Kotetsu and Barnaby's relationship is left open to the viewers' interpretations, and that the ambiguity has been intentional since the very beginning. Basically; if you think of it as being romantic, that's correct. If, on the other hand, you think of it as Bromance, that's also correct."

Kotetsu x Barnaby is a HUGE draw for fangirls, and that brings in money to continue the anime. People who are against the pairing should just view it as a marketing ploy (maybe Agnes setting them up or something). Ozaki has stated this at every panel I've seen him in, which is like 3-4, so he wants it to be very clear that their relationship is up to the viewers. (The fangirls usually start raving at that point while the guys all groan though smile )

This. I came here to quote this. I think it sells it a little short to say that what T&B is REALLY about is "the development of a professional relationship." Because in addition to all the beautiful, wonderful superhero-y bits and all the delicious moral conflict, it's very much about the way that Kotetsu and Barnaby grow together. Their relationship develops in one of the most natural ways I've ever seen depicted in an anime (including 90% of those romantic relationships between men and women), and whether you see that as them falling in love or as them becoming inseparable bros is totally up to the viewer. I don't really believe in word of god, myself. I think that all media is what the consumer makes of it.

So no, it's not technically classified as a shounen-ai. It's unfortunate that this would dictate whether or not someone watches this amazing piece of art, but what'll you do. I'm not sure I understand why this would be a drawback when a heterosexual relationship would just be par for the course.

It's interesting that you'd call it a "marketing ploy" when actual, straight up shounen-ai and yaoi is a very underutilized niche market. It is in their best interests to retain ambiguity, because as we've seen here, a lot of people won't watch just because there's a possibility of m/m relations. True, the internet is saturated with it, but the same is true for every fandom I've ever been involved in. I think that it means we have expectations for what a yaoi is, i.e. something fairly shallow and female-pandering. People hear "yaoi" and assume "garbage." It's sad that there aren't more well-plotted shows out there that showcase shounen-ai.

Familiar Regular

4,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Cielo718

I've noticed there are a lot of people who have yet to watch the anime, and are asking what it's about. It's easy to get confused with the amount of fanart/fanfic that's out there, so I wanted to set the record straight.

Tiger & Bunny is NOT a Yaoi. Its an anime about superheroes who are sponsored by real companies (like google, pepsi, etc.) who are competing in a reality TV show. It focuses mainly on two heroes:

-Kotetsu Kaburagi (AKA Wild Tiger), who has been a hero for many years, and cares more about saving people than pleasing his sponsors.

-Barnaby Brooks Jr. (who Kotetsu nicknames Bunny), who is a new hero who cares more about scoring points on the show.

The two share the same superpower, and are teamed up despite the fact that they don't get along. The show follows the progression of their (PROFESSIONAL) relationship, and their interactions with the other Heroes. Every character, including the supporting cast, is unique and lovable. They are purposely designed to represent the wide range of personalities and nationalities we would see in a major city. Their city of Sternbild is based off of Manhattan.

The story, while some people feel it takes a while to pick up, is IMO wonderful because it has so many different aspects to it: getting older and trying to do a younger person's job, the line between pleasing sponsors and saving human lives, the importance of family to those whose job it is to risk their lives, man vs. machine, etc. Although I am a fan of Kotestu x Barnaby, I really want people to watch the anime for what it is, and not dismiss it because of what fans are doing with the characters. Fanfic and fan art are amazing, but it shouldn't replace the real story of the anime.

Well FINALLY someone tells the truth about all this! I'll watch an episode tomorrow!

Beloved Sex Symbol

i never knew it was an anime o.o
i have only seen alot of yaoi manga about them because of a friend of mine

Interesting Cutesmasher

5,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
- iUnchained Kairi -

It's good! I can't wait to see the second movie!!

Beloved Sex Symbol

Cielo718
- iUnchained Kairi -

It's good! I can't wait to see the second movie!!

maybe I'll make myself see an episode or two and see if i like it

Devout Comrade

17,590 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Conventioneer 300
I would like to get into this series. But I'm a little confused.

Was it an anime first then had a manga adaptation? And if so should I watch the anime first?

Interesting Cutesmasher

5,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
GoddessEyes9
I would like to get into this series. But I'm a little confused.

Was it an anime first then had a manga adaptation? And if so should I watch the anime first?

Yes. Tiger & Bunny was an anime first. I would watch first, then read the manga if I were you.

Profitable Shopper

6,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Contributor 150
Tiger Bunny shows on wat website? I wanna see it D:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Interesting Cutesmasher

5,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
i P A N G Y A
Tiger Bunny shows on wat website? I wanna see it D:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The subbed version can be found HERE (i think it's better)
The dubbed version can be found HERE

You can probably find it on most websites that stream anime though. Hope that helps. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff