Welcome to Gaia! ::

Carol Right?

wow she's great 0.16 16.0% [ 4 ]
yeah she's great 0.16 16.0% [ 4 ]
I know right 0.68 68.0% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 25 ]

So this is concerning the recent events of Indifference and the prior episode. That means spoilers.
I still don't believe fully that Carol could have killed those two, but for the sake of this argument I'm going to pretend that she has. I honestly think this is a testament to how out of character this would be for her-- that I honestly can't believe it. But here we go anyways.

Reason number one: Character development.

Carol has had the most profound character development out of any character on this entire show. She started off as weak, timid, abused, struggling, terrified. When I first met her in season one she didn't even phase me. I thought she'd just be another red shirt to kill off. A Scott and Steve if you will. She was someone to be pitied. She didn't belong in this world. She just didn't seem strong enough. Her disgusting husband held her under his thumb and she would frequently coward away from any significant decision making or conflict.

The first time she caught my attention was when she smashed her dead husband's skull in with a pick axe. I was thinking, "Wow, good for her. I hope she survives this."

Her relationship with Daryl eventually caught my eye and I suddenly had a soft spot for her. By the beginning of the second season she was my favorite character. Then her line, "I lost my daughter, not my mind." By now she was really getting stronger. With every episode I just loved her more and more.

It's the fourth season now and she's gone through this amazing metamorphosis into who she currently is. She is so strong and important to the group, where before she was weak and in the background. Not only is her character's growth significant, but it is also the most organic I've seen. It's been so believable thus far, and the writers are amazing for making this happen. She's always been strong-- but it's been so repressed and she's been so scared. And this leads me to my second reason:

Identity

Carol is the character I can most identify with. For one, she's female. I'm female, it makes sense. She's THE BEST female character in this show. Yes, better than Michonne. Michonne is amazing and beautiful and badass, but if you're normal at all, you can't identify with her. The girl carries a katana around and is stoic as hell. It is really important for this amazing female character to exist in The Walking Dead. She isn't a sex object or just a male character's girlfriend, (coughMaggiecough) she isn't a katana swinging bad a**, she isn't a cute little girl who takes care of the baby and sings, she is a strong, and sensible woman with leadership abilities and respect within the group.

What woman doesn't want to be strong and sensible and respected? What MAN doesn't want to be strong and sensible and respected? In many respects, she is even stronger than Rick. She keeps him in line wonderfully.

Reason number three: She's really important to the group.

This isn't so much about her character aspects as it is about her as an asset to the group's survival.

We already discussed her strong leadership capabilities. She has grown so much and can make very hard decisions, as illustrated in the last couple of episodes. Something that Rick has been lacking lately. She has some medical training (useful), she is motherly and protective (Very useful), but she does not become overly sentimental. (enough with your wife's awful pancakes, Rick)

Carol is like Rubber. She's bounced back from her husband's abuse, from her daughter's death, from that one dude getting shot right in front of her and having his brains splash all over her face.

Not to mention she is intelligent, and she can handle her own when it comes to killing walkers. That machete is awesome and here's hoping it's become her signature weapon. (It looks like it has)

So there we are. I hope so hard that we haven't seen the last of Carol, because she is truly a great character. Melissa McBride is an amazing actress and I enjoy every second of screen time we get from her. If we never see her again it will truly be a grievous mistake on the writer's part.
thats nice. why she's not the best character:

reason 1 and reason last: daryl is.
She's much stronger in the show than in the comic...

Conservative Hunter

8,375 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Big Tipper 100
Carol rules this season as for char development. We all know about Daryl, he had his spotlight and we all know hes the most popular and a good shot when it comes to killing walkers and saving others. But Carol has had her char build up slowly, not in your face kind of thing done. If its just killing skills people want to see then play vid games and watch B movies. Walking Dead, however is Not just about killing ..its about Surviving with what you got, resources and trying to keep your sanity and humanity in tact as best you can. Each char from episode One till now, we've seen everyone grow in their own ways to adapt to this new life they have. Granted its not much, but on the plus side they make due. Its not a reality show, but it does give us a glimpse of what can happen and how each individual perceives the new threat and what they do to combat it. Be it alone, and or as a group.We're given a peek at each character. We identify with those or one we feel we would/could be like. There's also a mix of character persona's that we identify with. So the bottom line is, would we, could we as individuals survive like they are in the series?, Could we bring ourselves to doing what they've done so far? Would we want too?
Why doesn't she let the girls get close to her? I still don't understand. The girls need a mother. They have no one but themselves.
jumping tiger of spirit

That's just favourtism.
I mean, it's all out opinions, but you have to think...
She wasn't the best in the begining. Now, she's stronger. She's not getting close to anyone like Daryl is. If anything, Daryl might die.
ll Mahkahs ll
jumping tiger of spirit

That's just favourtism.
She wasn't the best in the begining. Now, she's stronger. She's not getting close to anyone like Daryl is. If anything, Daryl might die.

yah i don't get how the that has anything to do with being a "best" character. but yah daryl is the best character and he's never gonna die.
ll Mahkahs ll
Why doesn't she let the girls get close to her? I still don't understand. The girls need a mother. They have no one but themselves.

guess she doesn't want to go through with losing daughters again.
jumping tiger of spirit
ll Mahkahs ll
jumping tiger of spirit

That's just favourtism.

yah i don't get how the that has anything to do with being a "best" character. but yah daryl is the best character and he's never gonna die.

Everyone does in the end.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces