Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unbeatable Survivor

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Noob wrangler 100
haunting heaven
xCyclonic
You seem to not understand the essence of zombies..
His neck can be broken, but his legs still move.

That shouldn't be true. The brain is necessary for the zombie to be able to move, and I'm not expert on broken necks, but I was under the impression that the reason a broken neck can cause paralysis (if it doesn't outright kill you) is due to it severing the connection between the brain and the rest of the body. So, if there's no connection, then the zombie shouldn't be able to move its body.

Meaning Shane didn't do the job properly, since Randel can walk.

Tipsy Flatterer

xCyclonic
haunting heaven
xCyclonic

That shouldn't be true. The brain is necessary for the zombie to be able to move, and I'm not expert on broken necks, but I was under the impression that the reason a broken neck can cause paralysis (if it doesn't outright kill you) is due to it severing the connection between the brain and the rest of the body. So, if there's no connection, then the zombie shouldn't be able to move its body.

I honestly think it was movie magic on how he could still walk.

He broke the neck/spinal column enough to where Randel died, the zombie should have only been able to move its eyes and mouth.

Prodigal Mage

xCyclonic
haunting heaven
xCyclonic

Except he was dead. Which leads me to believe he did do the job properly by severing the spinal cord and thus the connection between the brain and the rest of the body, which causes the person in question to die as all bodily systems shut down.

Anyway, I think Leaden Disintegration is right about the movie magic. The scene in the pharmacy in which Glenn goes after the walker attacking Maggie, he clearly severs the spinal cord by mostly decapitating the thing (if I'm remembering correctly), and yet it was still capable of moving.

Unbeatable Survivor

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Noob wrangler 100
haunting heaven
xCyclonic
haunting heaven
xCyclonic

Except he was dead. Which leads me to believe he did do the job properly by severing the spinal cord and thus the connection between the brain and the rest of the body, which causes the person in question to die as all bodily systems shut down.

Anyway, I think Leaden Disintegration is right about the movie magic. The scene in the pharmacy in which Glenn goes after the walker attacking Maggie, he clearly severs the spinal cord by mostly decapitating the thing (if I'm remembering correctly), and yet it was still capable of moving.

It's the same as if you slice a chickens head off, they can run around a bit.
If you're right, how does that happen then?

Prodigal Mage

xCyclonic

Random impulses from the nerves due to adrenaline--and that only lasts a short while. It's not so much running as it is randomly spazzing.

Tipsy Flatterer

xCyclonic

Any animal that dies will have some sort of spasm, no matter the cause of death.
It's just involuntary contraction of a muscles and nerves.

I've seen a bird do it after one of my cats got a hold of it. I've even seen spiders twitch after I've stepped on them.
It happens. 3nodding

Unbeatable Survivor

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Noob wrangler 100
haunting heaven
xCyclonic

Random impulses from the nerves due to adrenaline--and that only lasts a short while. It's not so much running as it is randomly spazzing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_Headless_Chicken

Tipsy Flatterer

xCyclonic

"The axe missed the jugular vein, leaving one ear and most of the brain stem intact.[2][3]"
Well, that covers the walker that attacked Maggie.

Prodigal Mage

xCyclonic
haunting heaven
xCyclonic

Most of the brain stem was intact and connected to the rest of the body. It's not the same thing at all. :/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff