Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wabbet
Mountain Hermit
I spose you could always spray paint your blade black, but anyone impractical enough to use a katana would never think of that...

This made me chuckle a little whee

How heavy is the katana,
or rather, how tiring would it be to use it compared to other weapons?
(Say a bat, hammer)

Specs for her sword are here: http://ollinsworddesign.com/osd-custom-Michonne1.html

At 3.5 pounds I assume the sheath is included in the weight, seeing as that's heavier than most Katana. Being 5160, it wouldn't rust as quickly as most others would, and this steel is very wear resistant. However, blood will form a Patina on the blade, making it darker in colour.

A katana doesn't NEED to be shiny, by all accounts, Ricks nickle plated revolver is just as bad. Using available materials to sharpen a katana, it would result in being less polished than before. If it does get dull, it STILL has a better shape to bludgeon a skull than a baseball bat. Felt resistance would be lower, and recovery from the swing would be faster. Of course, this only applies to people who know what they are doing.

Hissra's Waifu

Anxious Darling

She has beauty, brains, & is deadly. I adore her. What a woman. heart _ heart

Apocalyptic Friend

1. How many people ACTUALLY have access to a sword in little to no prior notice that the zombie apocalypse has happened?

2. Handling a sword is a physically exhaustive measure. Anyone can take a couple of swings with one of those display swords. A real, functioning sword that was made to kill is a heavy weapon. Even a katana will feel much heavier after you're swinging it with purpose. Your muscles can and will fatigue much faster than if you're simply pulling a trigger.

3. Swords require considerable knowledge and expertise to wield properly. In the hands of someone trained in swordplay of any kind, a sword is a very dangerous weapon. In the era of automatic and semi-automatic pistols? Not so much. Swords are first and foremost an up close and personal weapon. You have to be in extremely close proximity to your target to even hope to score a fatal blow. And if you don't know EXACTLY where you're hitting and EXACTLY how hard to hit, your blow will likely not be fatal and might even miss. Ever hear the term, "Never bring a knife to a gunfight" before? Well, the same applies to swords. Why would anyone in their right mind get within attacking/grabbing/biting range of a wildly infectious target when you can just pick them off from three yards away?

To sum it up, the pros and cons of using a sword during the zombie apocalypse are:

PROS: Infinite ammo cheat engaged.

CONS: Requires considerable knowledge and skill to use properly, requires maintenance like any other weapon, causes fatigue, is heavy.

You're better off with a gun. But remember to always save one bullet for yourself.
Oh Michonne... redface
Swooning me over ever since her first appearance on TWD.
Michonne
1. How many people ACTUALLY have access to a sword in little to no prior notice that the zombie apocalypse has happened?

2. Handling a sword is a physically exhaustive measure. Anyone can take a couple of swings with one of those display swords. A real, functioning sword that was made to kill is a heavy weapon. Even a katana will feel much heavier after you're swinging it with purpose. Your muscles can and will fatigue much faster than if you're simply pulling a trigger.

3. Swords require considerable knowledge and expertise to wield properly. In the hands of someone trained in swordplay of any kind, a sword is a very dangerous weapon. In the era of automatic and semi-automatic pistols? Not so much. Swords are first and foremost an up close and personal weapon. You have to be in extremely close proximity to your target to even hope to score a fatal blow. And if you don't know EXACTLY where you're hitting and EXACTLY how hard to hit, your blow will likely not be fatal and might even miss. Ever hear the term, "Never bring a knife to a gunfight" before? Well, the same applies to swords. Why would anyone in their right mind get within attacking/grabbing/biting range of a wildly infectious target when you can just pick them off from three yards away?

To sum it up, the pros and cons of using a sword during the zombie apocalypse are:

PROS: Infinite ammo cheat engaged.

CONS: Requires considerable knowledge and skill to use properly, requires maintenance like any other weapon, causes fatigue, is heavy.

You're better off with a gun. But remember to always save one bullet for yourself.

Well, first off, in places where owning a proper defensive firearm isn't legal, owning a custom made sword that runs the same price is usually okay. Training in its use is no more different than learning to use a firearm efficiently. I've been lucky enough to have access to both sides. Would I choose a Katana over a gun? No, I'd have both. What about a crossbow? Hell no, too slow. I'd rather use my bow. Two more weapons that take far more knowledge and practice than a gun or sword.

To your number two, swords that are properly made aren't at all heavy or exhaustive, in comparison to say an unbalanced crow bar, a baseball bat, or a tomahawk. I love my tomahawk, and I would keep it as a tool and last ditch weapon, but the design makes it susceptible to sticking into a skull. In other words, the strength needed isn't as much as speed and recovery. As for pulling a trigger, take adrenaline into account, it's not unlike "Buck fever". Your hands will be shaking.

Yes, training helps. I've also seen people with no training cut better with a sword than someone with a years experience in Aikido. The reasons for having an up close, silent weapon are obvious. A Katana is indeed a bit long, even for my tastes. This is where Ko-Katana and Wakizashi come into play. But you sacrifice some leverage and reach for ease of carry and use indoors. Everything has a trade off.

As for bringing a knife to a gun fight, I have my own ideas behind that situation. At certain distances, a knife is more formidable than a gun. A holstered gun against a human with a knife at 21 feet is less likely to be drawn, aimed, and fired before the owner gets cut/stabbed. Any closer than that and they are even worse off. This is a police drill. In the case of zombies, being able to draw a sword and clear any reaching limbs before striking the head or neck is a bonus over having to draw and aim for the head. Especially in the dark when caught by surprise. Also, clipping a knee doesn't waste ammo with a sword.

I'm not arguing that a sword is better, but I'm making the point that there was a reason it stuck around as a weapon until 100 years ago in the west, not even getting into WWII China and Japan, or even the Philippines...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff