Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unbeatable Survivor

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Noob wrangler 100
Eric Draven Ekibyougami
Does it bother any of you that it Shane died a bit too fast with a single thrust with a knife?

I'm all for realism, and the last two main characters who died seemed to have done so too easily. Do you think the writers got sloppy? Or just ignorant?

A small kid gets shot in the chest with an already expanded rifle round and lives, but they couldn't save the old man who simply had his flesh pulled open? Hmm, I don't get that.

Before you tell me it's a show, and dead people are walking, I get that. But you have to wonder why they choose to easily do things that should have taken longer and been MORE dramatic.

You are an idiot.. Shane was stabbed in the heart area with a knife and quickly bled to ******** death. You think a knife is weak?

They didn't get sloppy, or ignorant. They didn't die "too easily".

Did you see what they had to go through to make sure the 'small kid' lived?
The old man didn't "simple had his flesh pulled open" You really are stupid. His flesh was torn open with a giant gaping hole in his stomach, and his organs were being pulled out AND he was bleeding to death. Shane was meant to die earlier (in the comics) and so he died when he was going psycho towards Rick.

The "old man" Dale dies in the comic as well, and he died because of a Walker, just like in the comic, even if it was a little different.

Why would they spend a long time on a death? A single death? Its a ******** zombie apocalypse. Go watch some DRAMA shows if you want drama, kid.
xCyclonic
Eric Draven Ekibyougami
Does it bother any of you that it Shane died a bit too fast with a single thrust with a knife?

I'm all for realism, and the last two main characters who died seemed to have done so too easily. Do you think the writers got sloppy? Or just ignorant?

A small kid gets shot in the chest with an already expanded rifle round and lives, but they couldn't save the old man who simply had his flesh pulled open? Hmm, I don't get that.

Before you tell me it's a show, and dead people are walking, I get that. But you have to wonder why they choose to easily do things that should have taken longer and been MORE dramatic.

You are an idiot.. Shane was stabbed in the heart area with a knife and quickly bled to ******** death. You think a knife is weak?

The old man didn't "simple had his flesh pulled open" You really are stupid. His flesh was torn open with a giant gaping hole in his stomach, and his organs were being pulled out AND he was bleeding to death. Shane was meant to die earlier (in the comics) and so he died when he was going psycho towards Rick.

The "old man" Dale dies in the comic as well, and he died because of a Walker, just like in the comic, even if it was a little different.

Why would they spend a long time on a death? A single death? Its a ******** zombie apocalypse. Go watch some DRAMA shows if you want drama, kid.

I'm not an idiot, I'm willing to bet I know a lot more about knives and their use than you do. I carry one for the purpose of defense, as California won't issue CCW permits to just anyone, it's my only option right now. I know what knives can do.

You want to troll, do it elsewhere. Your reply could have been said with much more respect and without the condescending tone. Maybe you haven't noticed, but I never said I knew everything. I was asking for more informed opinions than insults and childish remarks. I'm also not a kid, thank you.

As for the stomach being torn open, that is again not grounds for bleeding out. A cousin of mine had a horrible car accident once and the seat belt tore his stomach open, spilling his intestines out. He was there for almost half an hour before he was rescued and lived. You obviously don't know what you are talking about and decided to insult me instead of allowing a reasonable discussion continue.

Sparkly Darling

6,700 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Eric Draven Ekibyougami

Indeed you're right, but judging from the picture I'm looking at it was a bit too high angled to have hit the heart. I was using the heart reference to show lethality isn't as high as is usually thought. Even a single stab to one lung doesn't kill like that. I still think it's a mistake on the writers part and they just wanted to make it quick. Look at prison shankings, it's by surprise and often with multiple thrusts, but that doesn't always mean death. The conditions they live in aren't much better.

Everyone has a "fight or flight" response, especially when wounded. Using that argument, a deer with an arrow through both lungs is going to bleed faster and have more trauma internally from running. Some even manage to fight back while on the ground. The potassium released into the bloodstream will cause the heart to contract, so even a thrust to the heart can be closed up some by the reaction of the body. Yes it's beating faster, but it's tensing around the blade/wound.

Again, I'm no medical professional, just a martial artist with a lot of useless knowledge in this area... Only looking for an interesting discussion since most of the threads here are so... Well, you know...

3 weeks without food, 3 days without water, 3 minutes without oxygen. Law of 3s.

If the blade didn't actually hit Shane's heart, then it most likely hit a lung, as I pointed out with Shane coughing up blood and whatnot. Then, he pretty much drowned on his own blood. If so, suffocation kills you pretty damn quick. And Rick did pull the knife back out, so there's nothing to stop from bleeding out as well.

And like I said, you can judge by what happens to animals in a hunting situation. After all, I've beheaded chickens. And do you know what happens to a beheaded chicken? It's body will flutter and flap and even run around. That doesn't mean the chicken is still alive, it just means muscles are contracting and synapses are firing. Even people who are beheaded will flail around until the bodily reactions stop completely.

Sparkly Darling

6,700 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Eric Draven Ekibyougami

As for the stomach being torn open, that is again not grounds for bleeding out. A cousin of mine had a horrible car accident once and the seat belt tore his stomach open, spilling his intestines out. He was there for almost half an hour before he was rescued and lived. You obviously don't know what you are talking about and decided to insult me instead of allowing a reasonable discussion continue.

There was actually a thread about this after the episode where Dale died, and we went into the logistics of the event. And the issue was also brought up in "The Talking Dead" aftershow, where the director (or was it producer or writer?) answered it definitely. But if you're too lazy to look, I'll summarize.

The walker ripped open Dale's stomach, and his intestines all came out. Is this immediate death? No. Actually, being disemboweled is one of the longest and most painful ways for a human being to die, which is why Daryl had to perform the "mercy kill" on Dale to end his suffering. Hershel had said that Dale wouldn't survive being moved to the house for an operation to fix him, and when Rick said to help Dale in the field, Hershel said there was nothing he could do.

Therefore, Dale was suffering from a mortal wound and would continue to suffer for hours, because there was no medical procedure that could be done to save him. Instead of letting him suffer in agony for those hours/days/whatever, Daryl shot him in the head.
Yukino Makoto-kun
Eric Draven Ekibyougami

There was actually a thread about this after the episode where Dale died, and we went into the logistics of the event. And the issue was also brought up in "The Talking Dead" aftershow, where the director (or was it producer or writer?) answered it definitely. But if you're too lazy to look, I'll summarize.

The walker ripped open Dale's stomach, and his intestines all came out. Is this immediate death? No. Actually, being disemboweled is one of the longest and most painful ways for a human being to die, which is why Daryl had to perform the "mercy kill" on Dale to end his suffering. Hershel had said that Dale wouldn't survive being moved to the house for an operation to fix him, and when Rick said to help Dale in the field, Hershel said there was nothing he could do.

Therefore, Dale was suffering from a mortal wound and would continue to suffer for hours, because there was no medical procedure that could be done to save him. Instead of letting him suffer in agony for those hours/days/whatever, Daryl shot him in the head.

Makes sense. You've brought up your points well and I can't disagree. This is definitely one of those things that really would take a true autopsy to understand but I find it just as much fun to theorize. Thank you for your contributions.
lmao people are different some go quick some don't. it's called bleeding to death for a reason.
rolleyes

Unbeatable Survivor

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Noob wrangler 100
Eric Draven Ekibyougami
xCyclonic
Eric Draven Ekibyougami

I'm not an idiot, I'm willing to bet I know a lot more about knives and their use than you do. I carry one for the purpose of defense, as California won't issue CCW permits to just anyone, it's my only option right now. I know what knives can do.

You want to troll, do it elsewhere. Your reply could have been said with much more respect and without the condescending tone. Maybe you haven't noticed, but I never said I knew everything. I was asking for more informed opinions than insults and childish remarks. I'm also not a kid, thank you.

LOLOLOL@YOU.

There isn't much to know about knives other then that they are sharp blades used to cut/stab etc. idiot..
I don't care if you carry one for defense.

I'm trolling? WTF? Shutup, kid. I'm not even trolling.
I decided not to respect you, because of what you said. A condescending tone? I'm not really condescending, and I don't have a tone, this is typing, not talking.
Did I say you said you knew everything? No.
Informed opinions over childish remarks? How are my remarks childish? You are the childish one here.
Sure you're not a kid.

Did I say bleeding out as the only thing? His organs were dragged out damnit.

I actually do know what I'm talking about, and yes, I guess I insulted you by calling you an idiot. Do I care? No.
How am I not allowing a "reasonable discussion to continue"? I merely proved you wrong.

Sparkly Darling

6,700 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Eric Draven Ekibyougami

Makes sense. You've brought up your points well and I can't disagree. This is definitely one of those things that really would take a true autopsy to understand but I find it just as much fun to theorize. Thank you for your contributions.

You're welcome. Though, since we can't really run autopsies in the Walking Dead 'verse, we can only base off what we see on the screen, or what the writers/directors/etc. say. Whether or not something is for drama or not, that's what they're showing on the screen, and we can't change it.
Yukino Makoto-kun
Eric Draven Ekibyougami

You're welcome. Though, since we can't really run autopsies in the Walking Dead 'verse, we can only base off what we see on the screen, or what the writers/directors/etc. say. Whether or not something is for drama or not, that's what they're showing on the screen, and we can't change it.

Yeah, I'm just glad they got away from the bitching and personal issues and back into zombies.
No, his death took what seemed like forever. I hated Shane. Would've been happy with him dying in the first season. wink

Wealthy Noob

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Signature Look 250
puppeteyes
I'm more bothered that it two seasons to kill him. stare

rofl
AND AND AND AND I LIKE PICKELS!!!!!!!! AND I LIKE CHOCOLATE BARS FAMILY GUY

Fatcat

User Image

User Image Now that he's gone, Who will take his a*****e place?~

User Image

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
As a rule people on TV take way too long to die. The time it took Shane to die being stabbed with a knife that long is probably accurate.

Dale would never have been able to hold that zombie off him after being ripped open like that either.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff