Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Shapeshifter

i like her, i like her better than Ms preggo.
and i think that she should run off with shane.

Hunter

meowmeowkitty
At 26 you have a bit more of a positive outlook on things, so it makes sense as to why comic Andrea had less issues while coping with her sister's death. Andrea in the show has a lot less to live for, she couldn't protect her sister, despite being a mature woman, and blames herself. It is part of the reason she feels like she needs to prove that she is capable of being a protector for the camp. Still, she doesn't feel like anything in her foreseeable future is worth living for. My biggest problem is that in the last episode she claimed that someone who really wants to kill themselves is going to find a way. So did she change her mind? If so, why is she still so hung up on the issue? If not, then why doesn't she just get it over with?

That is how I see it at least.

I think you missed part of the point that Andrea was making about this issue. She IS over it, because she found a reason to move forward. She wasn't saying everyone should just kill themselves, she was arguing pro-choice.

Andrea's standpoint is this: If you don't feel like you can go on in a world this tough, you shouldn't be forced to. You have to find your own reasons to go on, someone else can't FORCE you to do it because of how they think or feel. You need to decide for yourself and the option should not be taken away from you. That's why, she did not remove the option from Beth, she opened it. She allowed Beth to make her own decision because everyone else was trying to make it for her. Beth DID make a decision, she started, and then realized that she wanted to live. Lucky for her, she hadn't gotten too far. That's why Andrea smiled when Lori and Maggie told her- she even said it. "She's made her own choice to live."

If Andrea hadn't found a reason to keep her going, she WOULD have found a way regardless of Dale or anyone else.

4,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
iFallen Valkyrie
I really don't find her all that bad of a character. Most people hate her because she stepped out of line, trying to prove herself and shooting down Daryl, who most thought was a walker. She also has the same 'no-bullshet' mind-set as Shane. Everyone loves and respects Shane, but every is wishing she flls down and is ripped to shreds by zombies.

... whatever. Just tell me what you think of her. o3o In ways other than "OMG SHEZ LIEK SO ANNOING I H8R!!111111!!!!1111!one!!11eleven!" please.
i like andrea, if i had seen daryl walking like some dead man walking, i would of mistaken him for a walker and shot him too. better safe than sorry. she is the best shooter, and if i were in their group i would want the best out there spotting walkers not washing underwear. i would practice hard to be able to shoot cause when the time comes i want to be able to fight back not just wait for help. if that is all the women have to complain about then they dont know that this is walker time not homemaking time. so raise your glass for andrea and put your hands in the ayer cause andrea is terrific. believe.
thetammyjo
EthelbertOddity
thetammyjo
I really like the character of Andrea because I see her as a realistic counter to the sexist attitude that really pissed me off with Lori in last night's episode.

Really? It's the woman's job to make a house worth protecting and Andrea is selfish for learning to shoot and being able and willing guard everyone? Really?!

Everyone -- men, women, kids, disabled, elderly -- everyone needs to be learning to fight and putting in time guarding AND building a home worth fighting for. Otherwise you will end up with no men and women who can only offer the zombies some salt and pepper on their sorry arms when they come to get eaten.

I find it very interesting that the women in Rick's group are promoting this sexism more than the men. Shane, Daryl, all of them are more than willing to teach anyone how to fight but some of these women are refusing to step up. Clinging to your little suzy homemaker ideal isn't cool in a zombie apocalypse and doesn't do much for your group. Even Hershel with his weird ideals had Maggie going out to find supplies which means she had to know how to take care of herself.

burning_eyes Claps hands you tell em.. equality darnet.. hahaha

Not a matter of equality, a matter of survival. If you want to survive, everyone better be capable of doing almost everything. Sure you want your best people (PEOPLE) in charge of the things they are best at but your ten year old better be able to kick some butt too because running (Sophia anyone?) isn't going to save your a** if push comes to shove.

burning_eyes Not sure how you defined equality... but for me it's just that.. the best people for the job.. train everyone like they where doing..
Andrea and Shane can both go die in a black hole with a porkupine.........nvm i take that back, i wouldnt want to toture the poor porkupine by making him deal with those people mad p but anyways i basicly wanna say i dont like them smile
i honestly find her character quite compelling and an interesting case study. she has that badass disposition and that don't give a damn attitude. and she's HOT AS HELL!!!

Liberal Noob

ZoMbIe_KiLleR235
Andrea and Shane can both go die in a black hole with a porkupine.........nvm i take that back, i wouldnt want to toture the poor porkupine by making him deal with those people mad p but anyways i basicly wanna say i dont like them smile

I'm sorry, but I asked for reasons why you didn't like her... I never asked for you to rage about how you want to torture them with porcupines.

Liberal Codger

See, I can't stand Andrea because she thinks she's so much better than the other women. If it weren't for the other women, the stupid b***h wouldn't have any clean underwear or a meal to eat, so she can eat all of Shane's d**k as far as I'm concerned.

Obsessive Lover

12,600 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
kookey
KyaKonami
I think Lori really does take it for granted in a few ways, because she hasn't lost the two people closest to her, and Andrea lost her sister, Carol lost Sophia, and she wants to act like nothing's wrong, and doesn't even want to let her son learn how to shoot walkers -.-

I don't like Lori any better than Andrea (in some ways, my dislike for her is even more) but I don't think she should be blamed that she still has her family when other people haven't. I almost feel like Andrea was saying Lori hasn't suffered ENOUGH like the rest of them. That pissed me out about her. Suffering and loss should not be measured or compared. It's different for everyone.

I'm curious though. How has she acted like nothing was wrong. I'd like to think she knows lots of things are wrong even though she's got some semblance of a family left.

Also...anyone else think Andrea KNOWS about Shane and Lori's relationship? She said this one line that makes me think she may have an inkling. And if she does, do you think she's jealous?

Lori comes off to me as thinking that by everyone staying at the damn farm, then they can pretend everything is okay even though it's not. That by building up a life there, they can just forget the outside world. Which is not a good idea at all. Doesn't matter how many men you have around, if a horde of walkers comes through, you're probably ********, especially if you got a baby around. They don't know to stop crying..

I think she does know. I don't think she's necessarily jealous, I think she was just letting Lori know that she knows about her and Shane. Hell, they were going off with each other alone before Rick got there, she could have been suspicious then. Or maybe Shane had an off camera confession around the time they banged in the car..something I reaaalllyyy don't want to think about talk2hand

Obsessive Lover

12,600 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Baru Monster
meowmeowkitty
At 26 you have a bit more of a positive outlook on things, so it makes sense as to why comic Andrea had less issues while coping with her sister's death. Andrea in the show has a lot less to live for, she couldn't protect her sister, despite being a mature woman, and blames herself. It is part of the reason she feels like she needs to prove that she is capable of being a protector for the camp. Still, she doesn't feel like anything in her foreseeable future is worth living for. My biggest problem is that in the last episode she claimed that someone who really wants to kill themselves is going to find a way. So did she change her mind? If so, why is she still so hung up on the issue? If not, then why doesn't she just get it over with?

That is how I see it at least.

I think you missed part of the point that Andrea was making about this issue. She IS over it, because she found a reason to move forward. She wasn't saying everyone should just kill themselves, she was arguing pro-choice.

Andrea's standpoint is this: If you don't feel like you can go on in a world this tough, you shouldn't be forced to. You have to find your own reasons to go on, someone else can't FORCE you to do it because of how they think or feel. You need to decide for yourself and the option should not be taken away from you. That's why, she did not remove the option from Beth, she opened it. She allowed Beth to make her own decision because everyone else was trying to make it for her. Beth DID make a decision, she started, and then realized that she wanted to live. Lucky for her, she hadn't gotten too far. That's why Andrea smiled when Lori and Maggie told her- she even said it. "She's made her own choice to live."

If Andrea hadn't found a reason to keep her going, she WOULD have found a way regardless of Dale or anyone else.

This. Tipped also. That's exactly what she meant.
iFallen Valkyrie
ZoMbIe_KiLleR235

I'm sorry, but I asked for reasons why you didn't like her... I never asked for you to rage about how you want to torture them with porcupines.

k here are some reasons yesterdays episode is one she was gonna let that girl kill herself, all she did for the first while was wine about wanting her gun, now that she has a gun she seems like she thinks shes sooo cool and is too cool to do anythign but shoot, she just bugs me

Unbeatable Phantom

Baru Monster
meowmeowkitty

I didn't miss it at all, I actually didn't say ANYTHING about how Andrea had allowed Beth to make her own choice, you just assumed that I had missed it since I didn't feel the need to bring it up since that isn't the point of this thread. I also never said she has the mind set that 'everyone should kill themselves' I don't know where in between the lines you managed to read that. I totally understood her standpoint. I just said I was confused since to me it seemed like she is still really hung up on the issue. How can you tell? The whole situation with Beth. She had no right to do what she did, its not her family, not her decision. She might not agree with their handling of it, but its not her decision to make. Maggie trusted her to watch Beth, she broke that trust because she had such a strong opinion on the matter, but the only reason she had no problems with it is because it didn't concern her directly. There is nothing wrong with her opinion, but if she were really over her own issues she wouldn't have handled the situation the way she did.

If I had a point with my last comment it would be that, with the way Andrea was choosing to go out, there was no 'Oops, changed my mind' at the last minute. She was never not given a choice either, Dale only said that if she was staying to get blown up, he was staying. She tried to force HIM to leave on his own, she was the one trying to take away his choice to stay with her. Was it coercion on his point? Yes. Did she have a choice? YES. She decided that Dale living was more important than her dying, and then she bitched about not being given a choice which is totally false. Yes, afterwards everyone was on suicide watch with her, which did limit her ability to choose after that point. But if she hadn't been given that initial choice she wouldn't have been able to have a change of heart and find something to live for.

Andrea's also had plenty of time to choose since then, so she should have realized that she didn't need to do what she did, if Beth wanted to do it she'd do it eventually with or without her intervention. Andrea has obviously still got a huge chip on her shoulder, which was my main point with that last bit, she is still very hung up on the issue and this incident, especially the way she handled it, proves it.

Unbeatable Phantom

EthelbertOddity
meowmeowkitty

burning_eyes
What do you mean, why is she still hung up on it? Until the girl say's she wants to do it(kill herself).. she really hadn't brought it up.. it was that old f'er trying to play daddy.. that keeps bring it up to her..

Also I do agree you see things different when your 26, to being 36.. though not always in a. oh I'm young so I see things as positive or warm and sunny all the time.. some times its the other way around.. and at 36 you see things more as "OH I get what's going on no biggy.." though it all depends on the person and there history.. cause at 26 I wasn't some positive loving type of guy.. not by a long ways...

I addressed the first point in my reply to Baru Monster above.

My comment about being happy and positive at 26 was phrased too generally, I meant it specifically for Andrea. In the comics I don't recall her trying to commit suicide over losing her sister and she ends up starting a relationship with Dale as a way to comfort herself, much like she did with Shane in the show. When other characters do try to commit suicide later on in the comics, Andrea is totally against it and appalled that they would do that to their loved ones. She doesn't applaud their ability to choose their own path.

So I think that is why fans of the comic are very annoyed with Andrea's character in the show, but I don't disagree with the changes they have made.
meowmeowkitty
EthelbertOddity
meowmeowkitty

burning_eyes
What do you mean, why is she still hung up on it? Until the girl say's she wants to do it(kill herself).. she really hadn't brought it up.. it was that old f'er trying to play daddy.. that keeps bring it up to her..

Also I do agree you see things different when your 26, to being 36.. though not always in a. oh I'm young so I see things as positive or warm and sunny all the time.. some times its the other way around.. and at 36 you see things more as "OH I get what's going on no biggy.." though it all depends on the person and there history.. cause at 26 I wasn't some positive loving type of guy.. not by a long ways...

I addressed the first point in my reply to Baru Monster above.

My comment about being happy and positive at 26 was phrased too generally, I meant it specifically for Andrea. In the comics I don't recall her trying to commit suicide over losing her sister and she ends up starting a relationship with Dale as a way to comfort herself, much like she did with Shane in the show. When other characters do try to commit suicide later on in the comics, Andrea is totally against it and appalled that they would do that to their loved ones. She doesn't applaud their ability to choose their own path.

So I think that is why fans of the comic are very annoyed with Andrea's character in the show, but I don't disagree with the changes they have made.

burning_eyes
Oh now I understand you better.. though I thought we where talking only about the show here..
cause in the comic book.. there's a crap load of other people that just rock.. like.. the sword
zombie pet having person.. hahaha
-NO SPOILERS-
Just hope that person gets in the show
soon.. cause they rock and are soooo..
bad a$$$$$$ hahaha

Zack Mcdol's Widow

Dedicated Dabbler

17,050 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
    The last episode proved she must either be suicida or badly written; she's just not thinking clearly.

It's just annoying that she adores Shane even thought he was the first to suggest not everyone should carry and made it point to mock her when she resisted; Dale only wanted to take the gun from Andrea when he suspected she wanted to off herself. But, of course, Dale's the bad guy.

Honestly, I think she's a mixture of the two I mentioned above.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff