Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cerulean Beyonder
raven robbin

That's a good point but you are forgetting that gaia is in fact a business with paying customers and not a random person posting things on the internet. They don't allow us to post or encourage certain things, so why shouldn't they be held accountable for the same?

#30 Nidorina
The Poison Pin Pokémon
User Image
And you're forgetting that this forum was made as a JOKE. Seriously, why don't you have a sense of humor? Have you ever heard of satire? Or parody? Obviously you haven't, being so up in arms about a silly little topic like this.

You must not know a lot about business or customer service. Religion is something that you just don't get involved with when dealing with a wide range of customers.

My own personal feelings are irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that gaia has made a forum that is potentially offensive to a group of it's members. That's the bottom line.

Precious Bunny

11,850 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
raven robbin
Most people claim that this forum only pokes fun at the prediction some old guy made. If that was the only issue it produced then I'd be fine with it. As someone who actually knows what the bible says about the second coming, I never believed this nonsense for a second. I even joked about it all Saturday right up till six-o'-clock.

However as I scroll through these topics on here I find it pretty obvious that people are taking this so called "joke" too far, and even using it as an excuse to quite literally bash a religious belief. It's kind of ironic how the Terms Of Service describes trolling as "posting material intended to offend other members," yet is that not what this forum encourages users to do themselves? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

This forum is entirely offensive- not because it lightly pokes fun at a crazy man's prediction however. What it has done is brush a sensitive topic in a negative light, in a way that could possibly offend a percentile of gaia's customers. On top of that it encourages other users to look down on gaians who actually believe that the rapture will happen one day. I understand that gaia wants to look "cool" and have a place to discuss a recent phenomenon, but this just wasn't the way to do it. A basic rule of thumb in any business is that you always put your customers first- without them you'd be nothing.

Timeless in its words alone...

Ω

YOUR POST OFFENDS ME. I'M GOING TO GO CRY TO THE MODS

...it keeps ticking on, the reference of life.
I-SuperMunchers-I
Pretty sure trolling is intended for a specific person.
You can't please all your customers at once. No business does.
Rules and guidelines say threads that make fun of the raptor are allowed.
Raptor Jesus =/= The Rapture.

Trolling intended for one person only? Is that from your own personal experience or is that a valid fact? If you can please point out where it states in the Terms Of Service that you can only troll one person at a time.

Come now, let's look between the spaciously gaped lines of the forum rules shall we? I think we can all safely say that the "Raptor" is a play on the "Rapture".

Eternal Archenemy

14,125 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
raven robbin
Cerulean Beyonder
raven robbin

That's a good point but you are forgetting that gaia is in fact a business with paying customers and not a random person posting things on the internet. They don't allow us to post or encourage certain things, so why shouldn't they be held accountable for the same?

#30 Nidorina
The Poison Pin Pokémon
User Image
And you're forgetting that this forum was made as a JOKE. Seriously, why don't you have a sense of humor? Have you ever heard of satire? Or parody? Obviously you haven't, being so up in arms about a silly little topic like this.

You must not know a lot about business or customer service. Religion is something that you just don't get involved with when dealing with a wide range of customers.

My own personal feelings are irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that gaia has made a forum that is potentially offensive to a group of it's members. That's the bottom line.

Businesses don't get involved with religion?
Do you take offense when Gaia has its Easter events? Or its Christmas events?
As an Atheist, I find forums made for Xmas and Easter quite offensive.
Timeless Reference
raven robbin
Most people claim that this forum only pokes fun at the prediction some old guy made. If that was the only issue it produced then I'd be fine with it. As someone who actually knows what the bible says about the second coming, I never believed this nonsense for a second. I even joked about it all Saturday right up till six-o'-clock.

However as I scroll through these topics on here I find it pretty obvious that people are taking this so called "joke" too far, and even using it as an excuse to quite literally bash a religious belief. It's kind of ironic how the Terms Of Service describes trolling as "posting material intended to offend other members," yet is that not what this forum encourages users to do themselves? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

This forum is entirely offensive- not because it lightly pokes fun at a crazy man's prediction however. What it has done is brush a sensitive topic in a negative light, in a way that could possibly offend a percentile of gaia's customers. On top of that it encourages other users to look down on gaians who actually believe that the rapture will happen one day. I understand that gaia wants to look "cool" and have a place to discuss a recent phenomenon, but this just wasn't the way to do it. A basic rule of thumb in any business is that you always put your customers first- without them you'd be nothing.

Ω

Alright, tell them I said Hi. Oh and don't forget to direct them to this forum. The more people who read it the better. smile

Precious Bunny

11,850 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
raven robbin
Timeless Reference
raven robbin

Ω

Alright, tell them I said Hi. Oh and don't forget to direct them to this forum. The more people who read it the better. smile

Ω

You do realise this thread is pointless, right? By your logic, I could pull apart every word in your post to state something is offensive. The fact you're trying to say that the Gaia staff should bend to every Christians beck and call is ridiculous. If you don't like it, don't ******** read it.
Gaia doesn't care, they simple put it here, as many have said, it was the users who set things off. They only catered to the majority. And as democracy and business goes, Majority vote rules.

I could go to every Pro-life thread and b***h that it offends me, Gaia has more important s**t to deal with then people getting butthurt over things that really don't matter.

Here's an internet quarter, go call someone that gives two shits.

User Image

Aged Fox

raven robbin
A Purple Duckie
raven robbin
A Purple Duckie
Trolling isn't allowed, including in this forum. If you see trolling, report it. 3nodding

Just a quote from the R&G:
The Admin
Rules & Guidelines for Posting in The Raptor

Topics Appropriate for The Raptor forum:
  • Topics related to discussing all things related to The Raptor. The Raptor forum is intended for discussing all things related to The Raptor.
  • Anti-Raptor topics or ones criticizing the event ARE allowed; however posting topics that mostly insult others, or that are overly abusive with very little real discussion content, are not allowed as they are considered trolling.

Topics NOT Appropriate for The Raptor forum:
  • Threads that do not relate to The Raptor.
  • Inappropriate memes or things that break the Terms of Service. Don’t be a troll!

(Besides, I don't know why everyone seems to think this forum is about "the rapture" when it's clearly about "the raptor" rofl )

Yes I know it isn't allowed, but the entire idea of the forum encourages it. The line between "The Raptor" and "The Second Coming" is just far too slim. There are just too many people getting away with trolling. That's why gaia should have just left this one alone- it dances far too close to crossing the line.

All this forum encourages is discussion about a current event. It's the members who decide where to go with it. The "rapture" is being talked about in other forums too, this is just a place where people can put those threads. The japan/earthquake forum had trolling too, but that doesn't mean that it encouraged it. It simply existed because it was a hot topic of discussion, and there were legitimate threads there.

If people are getting away with trolling because nobody is reporting it. wink

The japan/earthquake forum did not make fun of the earthquake though. Calling the Second Coming, "The Raptor is Coming," directly inclines that the rapture is nothing more than complete and utter nonsense.

Think about it like this, what if the earthquake forum was called, "Natural Selection in action," and then all the rules encouraged you to talk about that instead of the actual earthquake itself? See how that isn't directly offensive but has the potential to offend people?

I just have to point out that yes, there were numerous threads of people making fun of the earthquake. And the were poking fun at the money hungry nut job that was predicting the "rapture" not the rapture itself.

Magical Tree

It's en vogue to make fun of Christians. (i don't like it. haters gon' hate i suppose. bible says so anyway.)

There are Christians who don't believe in a literal rapture.. amillennialism. : D
Flame Illusion
raven robbin
Cerulean Beyonder
raven robbin

#30 Nidorina
The Poison Pin Pokémon
User Image

Businesses don't get involved with religion?
Do you take offense when Gaia has its Easter events? Or its Christmas events?
As an Atheist, I find forums made for Xmas and Easter quite offensive.

Ah you do have a good point there, I won't deny you that. But do either of these events encourage gaians to look down on Christian beliefs? Not that I know of. The most these forums do is encourage discussion about the special events they have for each of these.

I stated this in my original post that if gaia made a forum that strictly encouraged it's users to discuss the prediction on Saturday, or even discuss the actual second coming, that I'd be fine with it. But by making it look like utter and complete nonsense all they have done is encourage users to look down upon the belief that Jesus is coming back one day.

Think about it this way. How would you feel if gaia made a forum about how all atheists are going to hell?

NonniChan's Significant Otter

OG Nerd

raven robbin

I appreciate where you are coming from, but creating a separate forum allows people who would be offended to avoid the discussions altogether at least to some degree. Also remember that even when someone does cross the line, more often than not it's unintentional. Most people respect the beliefs of others and will try to be fair. For those that are not respectful, pointing it out just causes them to go farther to justify their comments or accuse you of not being able to take a joke to avoid responsibility. It's easier to just laugh it off and move on.
Not to mention they put it in it's own forum so anyone who would be offended didn't have to see the threads it's like other more "random" websites that may offend, if you don't want to see it ******** off and don't read it and if you don't like swearing there's a ******** world filter that you can use.
Timeless Reference
raven robbin
Timeless Reference
raven robbin

Ω

Ω

You do realise this thread is pointless, right? By your logic, I could pull apart every word in your post to state something is offensive. The fact you're trying to say that the Gaia staff should bend to every Christians beck and call is ridiculous. If you don't like it, don't ******** read it.
Gaia doesn't care, they simple put it here, as many have said, it was the users who set things off. They only catered to the majority. And as democracy and business goes, Majority vote rules.

I could go to every Pro-life thread and b***h that it offends me, Gaia has more important s**t to deal with then people getting butthurt over things that really don't matter.

Here's an internet quarter, go call someone that gives two shits.

User Image

You may think it's pointless, that is your opinion entirely.

If you have any actual arguments to my opening post go ahead and post them up. I'll be happy to answer any questions or respond to anything you feel the need to tell me. (:

The thing that you are failing to see is that I'm not blaming the users, it's gaia's fault for making this forum in the first place. You say gaia doesn't care? I can assure you that they do care. If someone posts something that will deeply offend or provoke others to deeply offend a group of people, then gaia will give the offending party a repercussion. This forum is a direct contradiction of that policy however, seeing as gaia is the one who made the potentially offensive forum.
raven robbin
I-SuperMunchers-I
Pretty sure trolling is intended for a specific person.
You can't please all your customers at once. No business does.
Rules and guidelines say threads that make fun of the raptor are allowed.
Raptor Jesus =/= The Rapture.

Trolling intended for one person only? Is that from your own personal experience or is that a valid fact? If you can please point out where it states in the Terms Of Service that you can only troll one person at a time.

Come now, let's look between the spaciously gaped lines of the forum rules shall we? I think we can all safely say that the "Raptor" is a play on the "Rapture".
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/raptor-jesus#.TdwJAM15GSA

Raptor = Raptor Jesus. You're not the first person to misinterpret the forum, or the first person to be using personal experience as valid fact.
Ben Saladin
raven robbin

I appreciate where you are coming from, but creating a separate forum allows people who would be offended to avoid the discussions altogether at least to some degree. Also remember that even when someone does cross the line, more often than not it's unintentional. Most people respect the beliefs of others and will try to be fair. For those that are not respectful, pointing it out just causes them to go farther to justify their comments or accuse you of not being able to take a joke to avoid responsibility. It's easier to just laugh it off and move on.

Yeah I have to agree with you there. My only problem is that gaia could have been a bit more tolerant when naming the forum. A simple discussion forum about the rapture would have been fine.

Gaian

raven robbin
Cerulean Beyonder
raven robbin

#30 Nidorina
The Poison Pin Pokémon
User Image

#30 Nidorina
The Poison Pin Pokémon
User Image
Yeah, okay. Your own personal feelings are irrelevant, but you're projecting them onto other people as though your opinion is the one and only true opinion. Your personal feelings are irrelevant but you made a thread insulting anyone who didn't get butthurt over this forum's topic like you did.

Yeah, your own feelings are TOTALLY irrelevant.

So, what you're saying is, Gaia shouldn't put a positive spin on pseudo-scientific things like the rapture? That that type of thing is only supposed to be all gloom and doom because SOME people might find it offensive?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff