Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cute Punk

Some people will be offended no matter what you do.

Here's a hint: It's the internet, no one's gonna stop and apologize if you're butthurt. Just common knowledge.

Sparkly Conventioneer

12,950 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
Trolling isn't allowed, including in this forum. If you see trolling, report it. 3nodding

Just a quote from the R&G:
The Admin
Rules & Guidelines for Posting in The Raptor

Topics Appropriate for The Raptor forum:
  • Topics related to discussing all things related to The Raptor. The Raptor forum is intended for discussing all things related to The Raptor.
  • Anti-Raptor topics or ones criticizing the event ARE allowed; however posting topics that mostly insult others, or that are overly abusive with very little real discussion content, are not allowed as they are considered trolling.

Topics NOT Appropriate for The Raptor forum:
  • Threads that do not relate to The Raptor.
  • Inappropriate memes or things that break the Terms of Service. Don’t be a troll!

(Besides, I don't know why everyone seems to think this forum is about "the rapture" when it's clearly about "the raptor" rofl )
Vampira666PMS
No matter you do or say, you will always offend someone somewhere. If everyone would stop doing and saying things that would offend people we would all be mute, fat, and lazy because no one would be talking or moving.

That's a good point but you are forgetting that gaia is in fact a business with paying customers and not a random person posting things on the internet. They don't allow us to post or encourage certain things, so why shouldn't they be held accountable for the same?
Track01_Rebuild
"A basic rule of thumb in any business is that you always put your customers first- without them you'd be nothing."

And so Gaia made a topic based on a popular meme, along with an item, knowing that its customers love that s**t.

Not all of their customers do, in fact there are quite a few gaians that feel the exact opposite.

Gaian

raven robbin

That's a good point but you are forgetting that gaia is in fact a business with paying customers and not a random person posting things on the internet. They don't allow us to post or encourage certain things, so why shouldn't they be held accountable for the same?

#30 Nidorina
The Poison Pin Pokémon
User Image
And you're forgetting that this forum was made as a JOKE. Seriously, why don't you have a sense of humor? Have you ever heard of satire? Or parody? Obviously you haven't, being so up in arms about a silly little topic like this.
Pretty sure trolling is intended for a specific person.
You can't please all your customers at once. No business does.
Rules and guidelines say threads that make fun of the raptor are allowed.
Raptor Jesus =/= The Rapture.
black_wing_angel
That's nothing to do with the forum itself, but the users within. Gaia has no control over us.

That's exactly my point, gaia has no control over what people will post- that's why they shouldn't have made a forum that brushes a sensitive subject in a negative way. What gaia did was give users a green light to bash the entire subject of the rapture.

black_wing_angel
Which they have the right to. We all bash Scientology, don't we? What's the difference, besides a much larger membership ratio?

Of course we all have the right to say whatever we believe, me and you both share that belief. Your forgetting however that gaia (being a business with paying customers) does not have the luxury to say whatever it wants.

black_wing_angel
They have no control over what offends you, and you have no obligation to scroll through this forum.

Just because you might be offended by the word "********", does not mean I can't use it (as I just did), so I'm not "trolling" by posting the word (unless it's excessive).

Indeed they don't. As a gaia user you can't forget that I have the right to scroll through this forum as well. By saying if "I don't like it I don't have to scroll through this forum" are you inclining that me and everyone else who thinks it is offensive should be alienated while everyone else are free to look down on us for feeling that this forum crosses the line?

Your example doesn't back up your statement however, since the Terms Of Service allows us to use the word "********". It would help if you gave a more valid example of something (of which someone would find) offensive that gaia users can post without breaking gaia t.o.s.

black_wing_angel
You're just looking at it wrong.

Then how may I ask, should I look at it?

black_wing_angel
What is "offensive" is subjective. You find it offensive. I find it funny. Even being the Christian that I am, I know how to take a joke, and even run with it, myself.

That's your personal opinion, not everyone shares it.

black_wing_angel
Religion really isn't a "sensitive" topic, just because you have insecurities.

Besides, it's not like Gaia's the first place that Christianity has been made fun of, or even blatantly mocked. Ever watch South Park? Or just about any politically charged TV show, in existence? Nearly all of them are guilty of it.

Not a sensitive topic? I find that to be incredibly untrue- seeing as how countless people die everyday for the sake of their religious beliefs.

Insecurities you say? The only way I could have shown insecurities through in this topic is if I were a Christian whose faith was somehow shaken. I find that a funny accusation however since I purposely have not stated whether I am or am not a Christian.

You seem to have yet again over analyzed my statements. I remember putting at the beginning of my post that I myself found the fake prediction to be humorous- so your advice to "Either learn to roll with the jokes, or isolate yourself from the world at large," is irrelevant. I find it difficult to see the relation between Gaia and South Park. Gaia is a business that has made a promise to it's users that they can enjoy the site unhindered by the worry of being blatantly offended without a repercussion to the offending party. South Park on the other hand is a show that has made no promises to it's viewers except for maybe an appropriate age warning- they are free to do whatever they want because they don't have the same limitations that gaia does. Again you should look into choosing a better example.

black_wing_angel
*raises a middle finger* ******** 'em, if they can't take a joke.

Oh well that would be a great way of handling the situation. That is, if the gaia staff consisted of pre-adolescent kids instead of big grown-ups that can be taken to court.

black_wing_angel
I haven't seen more than 3 people in this entire forum (all 3 being atheists) that do so. They only laugh at the people who thought it was going to happen Saturday.

Me? I FIRMLY believe the Rapture is coming. But I'm not expecting to live to see it, much less simply because some senile old ******** read way too deeply between the lines, and cracked a non-existent mathematical code. Like all the people who have been studying into the DaVince Code, not realizing it's entirely fictional.

Therefore, I'm happy to make jokes at the expense of the May 21 Rapture.

Look a bit harder. Trust me I wouldn't have made this topic if there were only three people doing so. Whether you do or don't believe it will happen is your opinion entirely- you have the right to believe whatever you want. Likewise you also have the right to make as many jokes about it as you want.

black_wing_angel
Sure looks like it worked, to me.

All the prudes who are "offended", can simply see their way out of the forum, at their leisure. No one's making you click the link to this forum.

If by that you mean gaia risked offending a percentage of it's user base for the sake of looking "cool" then I agree with you entirely.

I'm pretty sure you stated this already so I won't bother typing a response to it again.

black_wing_angel
They did.

Sorry but I have to disagree. Putting your customers first means putting all of your customers first.

black_wing_angel
You do realize that the number of people who are enjoying the Raptor forum, FAR outnumbers the surprisingly few people that are offended, right? You can't please everyone, so work for the majority. And I'd call it "success" on Gaia's part.

Besides, Gaia is secular.

I don't care how many people are enjoying this forum, if something is wrong I'm going to argue against it. I'm not a ******** coward who's afraid to speak up for the people who were, are, and will be offended by this forum.

Secular you say? Gaia shed that safety net when they made this forum.
cadb8
i don't understand gaia...they steal memes and stuff from the most racist and voilent place on the internet...and just to make money

I don't understand them either. Maybe they just don't care about us gaians anymore? )=
White Flag Idiot
Some people will be offended no matter what you do.

Here's a hint: It's the internet, no one's gonna stop and apologize if you're butthurt. Just common knowledge.

That would be a relevant statement if we weren't on gaiaonline- a site that has a Terms Of Service and paying customers. Truth be told I don't want an apology- apologies are pointless and people hardly are ever truly sorry for what they've done. I'd would however, like gaia to be more respectful and tolerant to it's users in the future. Not much to ask for since they ask us to treat each other the same way.
A Purple Duckie
Trolling isn't allowed, including in this forum. If you see trolling, report it. 3nodding

The Admin

• Topics related to discussing all things related to The Raptor. The Raptor forum is intended for discussing all things related to The Raptor.
  • Anti-Raptor topics or ones criticizing the event ARE allowed; however posting topics that mostly insult others, or that are overly abusive with very little real discussion content, are not allowed as they are considered trolling.

• Inappropriate memes or things that break the Terms of Service. Don’t be a troll!

(Besides, I don't know why everyone seems to think this forum is about "the rapture" when it's clearly about "the raptor" rofl )

Yes I know it isn't allowed, but the entire idea of the forum encourages it. The line between "The Raptor" and "The Second Coming" is just far too slim. There are just too many people getting away with trolling. That's why gaia should have just left this one alone- it dances far too close to crossing the line.

Sparkly Conventioneer

12,950 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
raven robbin
A Purple Duckie

The Admin

Yes I know it isn't allowed, but the entire idea of the forum encourages it. The line between "The Raptor" and "The Second Coming" is just far too slim. There are just too many people getting away with trolling. That's why gaia should have just left this one alone- it dances far too close to crossing the line.

All this forum encourages is discussion about a current event. It's the members who decide where to go with it. The "rapture" is being talked about in other forums too, this is just a place where people can put those threads. The japan/earthquake forum had trolling too, but that doesn't mean that it encouraged it. It simply existed because it was a hot topic of discussion, and there were legitimate threads there.

If people are getting away with trolling because nobody is reporting it. wink
Symasia Emperor Skahesis
I am a Guinist, my own personal religion (if you guys put two and two together concerning my avatar you're having a good laugh right now) I have had it up to here *raises hand* with all this "quit bashing my religion" BS I have spent my life shunned and seeing my friends shunned by christians over religion and I've had enough. Christians have wronged me so many times I can't even express my disgust, too uncomfortable to express my personal views in front of my family I resort to making friends on an online web site. GET USED TO IT. JUST BECAUSE YOUR RELIGION IS MOST POPULAR DOESN'T MEAN IT'S THE ONLY ONE THAT SHOULD BE SAFE FROM MOCKERY. Yes, mockery is wrong but I'm pretty pissed off right now, if a secular website bothers you then why do you play on it?

Okay first calm down, just take a deep breath and relax with me. (:

Christianity is a set of beliefs. The people who have treated you wrongly in the past were just shitty people, don't blame it on their religion. It's not fair just to judge all Christians based on your past experiences, rather than for who they are as people. You can disagree with another person's beliefs but still be tolerant and respectful to them.

Another thing, I don't know where you live but Christianity is not by any means the most practiced religion in this world- just thought I'd point that out. I'm not trying to say Christianity is a superior religion to any other religion, I assure you that's not the issue here.

Again we come to the ever repetitive "if you don't like it then leave." Gaia has never ever stated this, only users have. I will take this advice into consideration when Gaia itself directly tells me to do this. I'm pretty sure gaiaonline does not want it's users- paying customers- to leave because they feel the site has intentionally posted something that offends them deeply.
A Purple Duckie
raven robbin
A Purple Duckie

The Admin

All this forum encourages is discussion about a current event. It's the members who decide where to go with it. The "rapture" is being talked about in other forums too, this is just a place where people can put those threads. The japan/earthquake forum had trolling too, but that doesn't mean that it encouraged it. It simply existed because it was a hot topic of discussion, and there were legitimate threads there.

If people are getting away with trolling because nobody is reporting it. wink

The japan/earthquake forum did not make fun of the earthquake though. Calling the Second Coming, "The Raptor is Coming," directly inclines that the rapture is nothing more than complete and utter nonsense.

Think about it like this, what if the earthquake forum was called, "Natural Selection in action," and then all the rules encouraged you to talk about that instead of the actual earthquake itself? See how that isn't directly offensive but has the potential to offend people?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff