Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Fatcat

Right now, Camping is saying live on Family Radio why the Rapture didn't come.

Magical Trickster

19,950 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150
Does he deserve a Face palm?

Ferocious Browser

What's he saying?

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
UntoldFutures

I'm surprised he didn't go the route of:
"There are no real Christians anymore, so that's why the Rapture didn't happen."

"Damn my blood... I scorn to do anyone a mischief, when it is not for my advantage."

Mystical Tamer

What did he say?

Invisible Prophet

6,800 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100

Muscular Nerd

"the Rapture happened, but it was only a spiritual coming, instead of a physical one (like we thought). the world will still end on October 21, 2011 but they are not going to be as bad as we thought they will be."
Maestro Mule
"the world will still end on October 21, 2011 but they are not going to be as bad as we thought they will be."
Did he elaborate any on that last bit? Did I misunderstand something here? It sounds really odd. He thinks the end of the world will be "not as bad" how?

High-scoring Werewolf

11,650 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Calelith
UntoldFutures

I'm surprised he didn't go the route of:
"There are no real Christians anymore, so that's why the Rapture didn't happen."

"Damn my blood... I scorn to do anyone a mischief, when it is not for my advantage."

Shame on you! What about all the people who bought their way in and sent him their life savings? gonk
So far I've only found one news source quoting what he said. Here's what he apparently said, for everyone who is curious:

Quote:
Speaking on Family Radio tonight, he said: 'Last weekend became a very interesting weekend because May 21 came and has gone and all the dire predictions that have been talked about did not come to pass.

‘I can tell you when May 21 came and went it was a very difficult time for me – a very difficult time. I was truly wondering what is going on. In my mind I went back through all of the promises God had made. What in the world was happening? I really was praying and praying: “Lord, what happened” because all through this I’d been astounded how God opened door after door.

‘It was marvellous how everything was going until May 21 came. I stayed away from home for one night because the pressure from that phone ringing and people knocking on my door for an interview was more than I could stand. So my wife and I went to a motel and spent the night there.’

He continued: ‘We were convinced that on May 21 God would return here in a very physical way by bringing a great earthquake and ushering in the final five months of the day of judgement and the fact is when we look at it spiritually, we find he did come.

‘We’ve already been talking about the end of the world being October 21 2011 but we have not emphasised that because the beginning of it was the fact that we’d see all these things happening (over the five months).'

He explained by saying he'd received a letter from a 'listener' who offered a very interesting theory he wanted to read.

He quoted: 'The great earthquake and rapture and the universe melting in fervent heat will be happening on the last day – October 21 2011.'

'It’s all going to happen on the last day.

'The great earthquake didn’t happen on May 21 because no-one will be able to survive it for more than a few days or let alone five months to suffer God’s wrath because everything will be leveled and destroyed after that earthquake and there will be no food or water to keep everyone alive.

Camping continued: 'The Bible tells us that Christ has no pleasure in the death of the wicked. God is a very compassionate God and while the law of God demands that there has to be punishment it does not mean God is going to punish, and punish, and punish, and punish.’

He went on to explain that the first part of the end of the world began on May 21 1988 – and at that that time 'God brought his judgement on all the church congregations'.

‘In May 21 1988 Christ left the churches and installed Satan there – so God actually enlisted Satan who was the enemy in the churches,' he said.

‘Everything in God’s plan fits a very structured way - it’s all very structured. On September 7 1994 when I said there was a high likelihood it was judgement day, it was true - there was judgement. It was salvation in a wonderful day. Since May 21 1988 virtually no-one could be saved in the entire world.

‘On September 7 God brought even more judgement on the churches because in the world where God’s judgement had begun, God lifted that judgement and allowed people to be saved outside of the churches – leaving the churches under the judgement.

‘On May 21 2011 at that time again judgement and salvation is in view. The fact is on May 21 1988 judgement came upon the churches. On September 7 1994 the judgement continued on the churches, but in the world God lifted that and salvation began again outside the churches.

‘On May 21 2011 we didn’t feel or see any difference in the world but we know from the Bible that God brought judgement day to bear on the whole world – and it will continue right up until October 21 2011 when the whole world will be destroyed.

‘We’re not going to be passing any more tracts or put up any more billboards or advertising in any way about judgement day – that’s all done. The world has been warned – we did our little share and boy, did the media pick it up. Now the world has been told that it’s under judgement.

‘The finish five months from now – we’re not changing the date, we’re just learning we have to look at this more spiritually. The Bible clearly teaches on October 21 that the world will be destroyed, but it will be very quick. When you study the Bible, you’re always learning. We had all of our dates correct.

'But God had not opened our eyes yet to the fact that May 21 was a spiritual coming – not a physical coming. Our task is done. We didn't understand the spiritual meaning of May 21.'

Some listeners of Family Radio have quit their jobs and sold their possessions - but Camping said the radio station never told people to do that.

The article goes on a lot longer, but I don't think it has any more quotes from his broadcast tonight.
Here's the link for anyone who wants to read the entire article the quote came from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1390268/Rapture-Harold-Camping-explains-wrong--says-God-bring-Rapture-OCTOBER-21.html

Invisible Raider

7,650 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Over Easy 100
Reception Hall
So far I've only found one news source quoting what he said. Here's what he apparently said, for everyone who is curious:

Quote:
Speaking on Family Radio tonight, he said: 'Last weekend became a very interesting weekend because May 21 came and has gone and all the dire predictions that have been talked about did not come to pass.

‘I can tell you when May 21 came and went it was a very difficult time for me – a very difficult time. I was truly wondering what is going on. In my mind I went back through all of the promises God had made. What in the world was happening? I really was praying and praying: “Lord, what happened” because all through this I’d been astounded how God opened door after door.

‘It was marvellous how everything was going until May 21 came. I stayed away from home for one night because the pressure from that phone ringing and people knocking on my door for an interview was more than I could stand. So my wife and I went to a motel and spent the night there.’

He continued: ‘We were convinced that on May 21 God would return here in a very physical way by bringing a great earthquake and ushering in the final five months of the day of judgement and the fact is when we look at it spiritually, we find he did come.

‘We’ve already been talking about the end of the world being October 21 2011 but we have not emphasised that because the beginning of it was the fact that we’d see all these things happening (over the five months).'

He explained by saying he'd received a letter from a 'listener' who offered a very interesting theory he wanted to read.

He quoted: 'The great earthquake and rapture and the universe melting in fervent heat will be happening on the last day – October 21 2011.'

'It’s all going to happen on the last day.

'The great earthquake didn’t happen on May 21 because no-one will be able to survive it for more than a few days or let alone five months to suffer God’s wrath because everything will be leveled and destroyed after that earthquake and there will be no food or water to keep everyone alive.

Camping continued: 'The Bible tells us that Christ has no pleasure in the death of the wicked. God is a very compassionate God and while the law of God demands that there has to be punishment it does not mean God is going to punish, and punish, and punish, and punish.’

He went on to explain that the first part of the end of the world began on May 21 1988 – and at that that time 'God brought his judgement on all the church congregations'.

‘In May 21 1988 Christ left the churches and installed Satan there – so God actually enlisted Satan who was the enemy in the churches,' he said.

‘Everything in God’s plan fits a very structured way - it’s all very structured. On September 7 1994 when I said there was a high likelihood it was judgement day, it was true - there was judgement. It was salvation in a wonderful day. Since May 21 1988 virtually no-one could be saved in the entire world.

‘On September 7 God brought even more judgement on the churches because in the world where God’s judgement had begun, God lifted that judgement and allowed people to be saved outside of the churches – leaving the churches under the judgement.

‘On May 21 2011 at that time again judgement and salvation is in view. The fact is on May 21 1988 judgement came upon the churches. On September 7 1994 the judgement continued on the churches, but in the world God lifted that and salvation began again outside the churches.

‘On May 21 2011 we didn’t feel or see any difference in the world but we know from the Bible that God brought judgement day to bear on the whole world – and it will continue right up until October 21 2011 when the whole world will be destroyed.

‘We’re not going to be passing any more tracts or put up any more billboards or advertising in any way about judgement day – that’s all done. The world has been warned – we did our little share and boy, did the media pick it up. Now the world has been told that it’s under judgement.

‘The finish five months from now – we’re not changing the date, we’re just learning we have to look at this more spiritually. The Bible clearly teaches on October 21 that the world will be destroyed, but it will be very quick. When you study the Bible, you’re always learning. We had all of our dates correct.

'But God had not opened our eyes yet to the fact that May 21 was a spiritual coming – not a physical coming. Our task is done. We didn't understand the spiritual meaning of May 21.'

Some listeners of Family Radio have quit their jobs and sold their possessions - but Camping said the radio station never told people to do that.

The article goes on a lot longer, but I don't think it has any more quotes from his broadcast tonight.
Here's the link for anyone who wants to read the entire article the quote came from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1390268/Rapture-Harold-Camping-explains-wrong--says-God-bring-Rapture-OCTOBER-21.html

Nobody can actually believe this can they?! Well then again they did believe the end of the world was coming May 21..... I can't believe this, this pisses me off. This man is crazy and just wait til October 21 passes..I hope then he'll feel like a fool.
Blind faith is amazingly terrifying. People selling things? Quitting jobs? For what? Some guy they've probably will never see face to face telling them it's all over? neutral And people wonder why I want to become a psychologist.
carille
Nobody can actually believe this can they?! Well then again they did believe the end of the world was coming May 21..... I can't believe this, this pisses me off. This man is crazy and just wait til October 21 passes..I hope then he'll feel like a fool.
What he's saying is pissing me off, too. I have no doubt that there will be scared people come October. I'm sure he will once again feel heavily scrutinized and attacked when the world doesn't end on that day. Whether he actually feels embarrassed or not anymore after all these times, I have my doubts about. But I am sure he'll just go right on giving public explanations afterward for why he feels he was right and "just a little off" about what happened. *sigh* And there will always be people who continue to believe what he says. sad

...This is the same world where lots of people were seriously buying gas masks, stocking MREs inside of shelters, avoiding airplane flights (they were supposed to fall out of the sky), and making all sorts of really extreme survival preparations during 1999 because the entire world was supposedly going to come crashing down around us simply due to a computer coding situation.

Beloved Humorist

In short, he failed. The end.

We now return you your regularly scheduled living.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff