Welcome to Gaia! ::

How involved are you with The Hunger Games?

I've read the books. 0.3921568627451 39.2% [ 20 ]
I've seen the movie. 0.03921568627451 3.9% [ 2 ]
I've read the books AND I've seen the movie. 0.56862745098039 56.9% [ 29 ]
Total Votes:[ 51 ]
1 2 >

Invisible Conversationalist

I just got back from the midnight premiere and I just feel the need to have a chit chat with other people about the film version.

WARNING THIS THREAD COULD VERY WELL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE FILM AND THE BOOKS. Try to contain them within the white text/brackets if you don't mind.

I personally have to say that I found the film rather lackluster and disappointing in comparison to the novels. For whatever reason, there were things added and edited that I really didn't understand and I'm still attempting to wrap my head around it.

Anyone else feel the same or am I just a lone wolf in a crowd on this? What did you guys think of it if you've seen it?

Liberal Shapeshifter

I'm going to see it first thing tomorrow. I'll let you know then!!!

Haha! I know that not many people may be roaming about just yet that have seen it, but please do! For all I know my brain just wasn't in the right place.
December Frost
I just got back from the midnight premiere and I just feel the need to have a chit chat with other people about the film version.

WARNING THIS THREAD COULD VERY WELL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE FILM AND THE BOOKS. Try to contain them within the white text/brackets if you don't mind.

I personally have to say that I found the film rather lackluster and disappointing in comparison to the novels. For whatever reason, there were things added and edited that I really didn't understand and I'm still attempting to wrap my head around it.

Anyone else feel the same or am I just a lone wolf in a crowd on this? What did you guys think of it if you've seen it?

I'm totally with you!!! it felt rushed! and the left out little things that had a lot of meaning behind them....not to mention the characters and their relationships didn't really develop...in my opinion if they wanted to make four movies (like they are) this one should have been split into two
Although I will say that the acting wasn't disappointing!

Very true. I was okay with the acting on a general whole. Some of it was a little lacking but it was because of the material...not their fault.

I mean, what the hell was going on with the train?

Though Effie, I have to admit, was absolutely fabulous. I just couldn't get attached to any of the characters because they weren't allowed to shine.

It felt a lot like pushing to get from point A to point B and not bothering with any of the in between where things grow on their own.

Devoted Sage

While I agree that some things felt rushed, I feel like it was rather faithful to the book. There aren't any changes I can think of that were huge and glaringly unnecessary. My only problem was that (WARNING: Not really a spoiler, but just to be safe, it might seem like one) the ending was missing a SEVERELY important moment of closure, and I can't help but cringe because I know people that haven't finished/read the book (ie my boyfriend, who did complain about a certain aspect) didn't get that needed bit of information, and therefore will misunderstand a central part of the plot. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the film.

Sincerely Sel's Husband

I'd like to post my thoughts before I sleep due to having an early class. xD

I agree. Overall, I feel disappointed with the film, and it was really only the pacing I think. The film it's self was fine, the scenery I thought was very lovely actually (in comparison to when I first saw it and thought it was bland, not at all what I imagined), and the cast of characters I thought was pretty well done as far as each one went.

But of course, alas, the pacing. Like you two have said, the pacing was so utterly rushed that it failed to create real connections. Especially with Rue. I felt horribly cheated with the...what...five minutes? - that was spent developing the relationship between Rue and Katniss in the film. I know they can't show a couple of days pass (for time constants), but still. Rue and Katniss's connection was a very important one. I also think that the pacing was too quick in Katniss and Peeta developing their relationship.

Scratch that, I feel cheated of their relationship in general. I felt as if Peeta seemed indifferent to them being in love most of the time and was just as bad as Katniss. I felt no closure to the ending.

I also miss the bond between Katniss and Haymitch. Haymitch was just kinda going with the flow and really wasn't the hard a** he could've been.

However, in their favor for me, I highly enjoyed Effie and I really liked some of the added on scenes, such as how they control the games, how Seneca Crane met his end, how Haymitch went about with sponsors, etc. That little bit of back story was very nice for me.

...I feel rubbed raw that they hid the Mockingjay pin though...
Not sure if a spoiler but anyway:

The only thing that really truly pissed me off was the beginning with the pin. Madge was supposed to give that to her and they make the references many other times in the later books, also with Peeta's leg ( along with Katniss' ear). And the Mutants eyes that are supposed to be the tributes as well. It's like, the little things they could have done to improve it.

I also feel like the characters needed to develop more... :/

Devout Man-Lover

9,700 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
I only felt like the ending was rushed. But in the movies defense, it was already nearing the 3 hours mark and I would have been pissed if they separated it into 2 movies.
i really did enjoy the film but so many things were done in a way i thought was, well, not the best. Just little things, but you know to each their own and you can't really blame them.

My one major peeve was the music.

It was so..not impressive.

At the beginning i enjoyed the way they used the sound and kept it quiet, but it felt like it never picked up its pace and i failed to become excited in most scenes because of it.
Looking back on the trailers the sound design seemed as if it were much more impressive but all throughout the film i couldn't help but feel like it was lacking so much impact simply because they failed to use exciting background music or something.
That really got to me and i hope they make it more intense next film.

The more I talk about it, the more I realize that it's probably the pacing that really bothered me. I'm still sort of baffled.

There were at least four times throughout the movie that I turned to my friend and asked what was happening.

I guess something to think about is what they would have done if there weren't going to be three or four movies? Would they have paced it differently? I won't deny that they did do a decent bit of set up and that the books ARE told from Katniss' perspective so we couldn't very well be in her head the entire time.

Maybe that's why they had to supplement EVERYTHING. We were only really given ONE villain in the film and a few moments to make him as such. It just felt like you started to get interested and the camera would flit off to look at something else.

Another issue I had was how shaky some of the camera work was in those fights. It was almost like you couldn't tell who was doing what.

Bunny

42,575 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Ian's Valentine 100
Was the violence really graphic? gonk
Me and the movie have a love/hate relationship.

8,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
The movie felt rushed. I missed that good conection between petta and katniss, which i really wanted the ending to be like the book with him all upset. The canons also didn't go off when cetain people died like rue,

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff