Welcome to Gaia! ::

I heard an atrocious story today at school. A teacher went to see the Hunger Games movie and didn't read the books. She had the nerve to march up to school and protest against the book. She wanted the books banned from the school. She not only did that, but she found the kids in her class that liked the book and made them tell her what they liked about it and then she got her unprofessional a** up and argued with them about. What the ******** is that? I'm like b***h, read the books.

Shirtless Powerhouse

Remind her that the fantastic classic, and standard high school English book 1984 by George Orwell features a man with a cage full of hungry rats attached to his face.

The books are being picked up by a lot of schools because they're an easier read than Brave New World, 1984, etc., and it's much easier to get kids to read and discuss them.

Also mention Lord of the Flies, which is ten times as brutal and twenty times as senseless, and was another book we were forced to read.
Ganon Firenight
Remind her that the fantastic classic, and standard high school English book 1984 by George Orwell features a man with a cage full of hungry rats attached to his face.

The books are being picked up by a lot of schools because they're an easier read than Brave New World, 1984, etc., and it's much easier to get kids to read and discuss them.

Also mention Lord of the Flies, which is ten times as brutal and twenty times as senseless, and was another book we were forced to read.
I will get someone to do that.
It happened at the elementary/junior high school I went to. I will get the message to someone.
Phong Chang
really???
REALLY.
She doesn't like this book but let me guess, she is cool about the Twilight series which is ten times worst.

The book is mostly about politics and the corruption about it.

She should be banned from school because of her stupidity. How did she become a teacher with such a close minded brain?

Liberal Codger

^_^ And this is why I have no use at all for teachers. I haven't met a single one with more than 10 brain cells. Why we hire morons to teach the next generation, I will never know. This is why, should I ever have children, they will be homeschooled.

This being said, she's a stupid a*****e and has obviously never required Lord of the Flies to be read by her classes. Not only is Lord of the Flies a shitty ******** read, but the children basically start killing eachother for no real reason. They become a bunch of little ******** savages. In The Hunger Games, the children are forced to fight to the death for the glory of the capitol. And finally, they rise up, and they say ******** YOU, CAPITOL, and they end it.

I have to shoot straight here, Lord of the Flies, to me, was up there with Twatlight. I was reading it, and I said "What the goddamn hell is this? How is this even required reading? Who wrote this and where can I find them so I can beat them to death with their own book? This isn't even interesting, not even remotely..."

8,075 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
the education system in this country is very broken and some people see only surface things. The Hunger Games being about kids killing kids is only the very tip of the iceberg. As for Brave New World, 1984, Lord of the Flies, etc, they were decent books for their day but they are a bit outdated for today's classroom. That is why kids and parents don't like them because the language is very outdated. They need to updated the books we are required to read. The Hunger Games would be a good one.

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200
The Hunger Games was about the political corruption associated with a totalitarian government. . . . Like, are you serious? The movie wasn't a compilation of the entire series.

Your teacher really needs to read Lord of the Flies - 6-12 year olds are TEARING APART one of the major characters with their TEETH AND NAILS. That same character spoke to a severed pig head that was mounted on a stick, and the main antagonist's tribe sang about cutting throats and spilling blood. I'm pretty sure that it is a mandatory thing to read in high schools now.

Also, I don't understand how the jabs at Twilight are even close to relevant here, or how someone can just blatantly say that all teachers are dumbasses.
Ryla Raelynn
As for Brave New World, 1984, Lord of the Flies, etc, they were decent books for their day but they are a bit outdated for today's classroom. That is why kids and parents don't like them because the language is very outdated. They need to updated the books we are required to read.

... Their messages and themes are just as relevant today as they were when they were written. So the language is a bit outdated. Just means kids need to have good reading comprehension skills. And isn't that one of the points of requiring reading anyway? Honestly, I'd rather kids read more classics...

I don't understand why people go on these tirades wanting to ban books. I mean, for ******** sake. Why does it bother you what someone else reads? Furthermore, how did you watch that movie and only get "kids killing each other" out of it? Did you miss every scene outside the arena, dealing with poverty and oppression? Did you miss every line between Crane and Snow talking about the ideals of the government and means of control? Yes, the events of the book deal with kids killing each other, but the themes are so much more.
that's so lame.
What kind of teacher is that? Tell her READ THE GODDAMN BOOK BEFORE JUDGING IT. It has a lot more meaning to it than kids killing each other. There are many other adults who think like their teacher and seriously, I should be slapping their faces with the book.
I hate people who say the Hunger Games is about kids killing each other. It makes me want to throw them into a pit of fire.
I think the Hunger Games is a really good book that kids should have to read in school instead of the other boring books that they make you read.
Don't judge a book by its cover, or in this case by its movie
ll Nebur ll
I heard an atrocious story today at school. A teacher went to see the Hunger Games movie and didn't read the books. She had the nerve to march up to school and protest against the book. She wanted the books banned from the school. She not only did that, but she found the kids in her class that liked the book and made them tell her what they liked about it and then she got her unprofessional a** up and argued with them about. What the ******** is that? I'm like b***h, read the books.

the problem is, is that when your so caught up in finding something negative about a movie or a book, you spend the whole time searching for that vulnerable spot and then disregard all the other AMAZING parts of it. sure, the hunger games has kids killing each other, but it has strong characters, life lessons, understandable relationships that are appealing to teens, and a very likable plot. of course, the teacher didn't see that - she just saw the few scenes when one kid is killing the other. forgetting they're paid actors, and the book is fictional, and million of kids/teens/adults are reading it and loving for a deeper reason.
and women pleeeaassee, she's attacking a book she has never read and trying to get it banned.
I would pay to see this insane women in court. she'd be be presented as a witness and the judge would ask if she saw something, and she would say, "Well, I didn't actually see it. But my friend told me there was a man in a hood, and I thought that was suspicious."

Life lesson: just because teacher's teach, doesn't mean they're genius's.
Uber Bee-otch
I hate people who say the Hunger Games is about kids killing each other. It makes me want to throw them into a pit of fire.
I think the Hunger Games is a really good book that kids should have to read in school instead of the other boring books that they make you read.
Don't judge a book by its cover, or in this case by its movie

agreed. especially when the movie portrays half of the depth the book has. though the movie was great, when it's in writing it's so much better - so much more understandable.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff