Welcome to Gaia! ::

I personally think it is.

7,050 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
The Hunger Games is one of my favorite series that i have read in a long time...

Sex Symbol

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I read these books a long time before everyone began talking about them, and even then I thought they were poorly written. Don't get me wrong, I liked them for what they were, but there were little things about them I just did not like. Such as Katniss. I couldn't stand her; she's very 'Mary-Sue'-ish, no? I mean, she has two guys head-over-heels in love with her, and all she does is angst about it; she is absolutely AMAZING with a bow and arrow, so much so that she can shoot someone without even being able to properly SEE them; and she changes from angsty, weepy, troubled teenager to kick-a** 'no-one-can-stand-in-my-way' killing-machine in the blink of an eye.
The concepts in the books are great, but the writing... not so much.
I'm a big reader and recently someone in school did a project on it. I will trust you on that and not try it it sounded poorly written to me as well ^^
Bailey Adair
I read these books a long time before everyone began talking about them, and even then I thought they were poorly written. Don't get me wrong, I liked them for what they were, but there were little things about them I just did not like. Such as Katniss. I couldn't stand her; she's very 'Mary-Sue'-ish, no? I mean, she has two guys head-over-heels in love with her, and all she does is angst about it; she is absolutely AMAZING with a bow and arrow, so much so that she can shoot someone without even being able to properly SEE them; and she changes from angsty, weepy, troubled teenager to kick-a** 'no-one-can-stand-in-my-way' killing-machine in the blink of an eye.
The concepts in the books are great, but the writing... not so much.

3,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Has anyone seen the movie yet?
its so freakin' awesome! whee
i looooove the hunger games!!! the first book is amazing but i find it gets worse in the second and third,
It's an okay book. I liked it because it was easy to read, breezed right through all three in a week, and the characters are well-defined between themselves. The plot wasn't particularly new--anyone seen Battle Royale? The second book plot was disappointing because even though it was a different dynamic of the Hunger Games, it was still the same arena-play, and I didn't feel like I got anything extra until Katniss finally decided to face her fate as a figure for the revolution. As a heroine, I think Katniss is believable and sympathetic, readers probably identify with her very well because she goes from not having an opinion to being personally impacted by the totalitarian state of Panem. I thought Collins could be a bit more original in the monsters, tracker jackers that are basically wasps, vicious hell hounds (although I liked that the dogs had competitors' faces), and jabberjays, which are evil mockingbirds, monkey mutts, and rose reptiles are pretty names but to a hardcore fantasy/scifi reader, they seem childish and not very impressive. What I enjoyed the best was the setting of having 13 districts (the last unknown until the second book) with a dystopian attitude toward war, and Collins' comprehensive writing style. It was a good read, but not the best.

The movie was a great movie cinematically, but took liberties with the original plot to be so. I missed the Governor's daughter Madge, and the frivolous design team. I loved how they made up for it by showing the gamemaster's PoV--that was a wicked smart move, and I loled in the theatre and couldn't stop talking about it for days. For the first time in my life, I can say the movie and the original book tied. (If LoTR wasn't so darn long, I could say Fellowship was my first, but here's hoping for The Hobbit *crosses fingers*)

Beloved Prophet

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Object of Affection 150
I think it was well written for the age group it was aimed for. If your an adult (which some fans are) I find it unfair to call it badly written because it wasn't filled with fancy words. lol
I personally love the series. It's not my favorite, but I love it so much.
But to be honest, I hate the fact on how much popularity it's getting. I love to read books nobody else likes to read, and that's just how I am. emotion_facepalm
But it's well written and deserves it's fame. But.. just something about everyone turning it into a love triangle and having a big ol' frenzy about it is getting on my nerves..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff