Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,475 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
The Hunger Games sounds very interesting and of course there are many people who would agree. The thing is, I'm not sure if I would like it. To me, it sounds a lot like Battle Royale, and I couldn't stand that. I mean, it's not that it was bad, it was just a little...too much for me. I watched the first ten or fifteen minutes and made my friend turn it off. That's the main reason why I'm so hesitant about The Hunger Games. So I don't know. I think that maybe I could handle it if it was more of an ideas book, which I'm not sure if it is since I haven't read it. So is it more an ideas thing or is it more purely intense people-pushed-to-the-limit kinda book? Or...whatever else?

Magical Senshi

9,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
As a reader and lover of both Battle Royale and The Hunger Games, I had to take a few minutes to figure out how to phrase this.

If your problem rested with young people dying and being forced to kill each other, then don't read Hunger Games. However, Hunger Games is far less violent than BR, at least in my opinion. Hunger Games is more about survival and the hope and prices people will be willing to pay to survive, all with rebellion bubbling underneath. I daresay it has a deeper story than BR as well.

Worse comes to worse, just read the first few chapters and see what you think.

Girl-Crazy Codger

Karutan Koremanu
As a reader and lover of both Battle Royale and The Hunger Games, I had to take a few minutes to figure out how to phrase this.

If your problem rested with young people dying and being forced to kill each other, then don't read Hunger Games. However, Hunger Games is far less violent than BR, at least in my opinion. Hunger Games is more about survival and the hope and prices people will be willing to pay to survive, all with rebellion bubbling underneath. I daresay is has a deeper story than BR as well.

thisthisthis.
I was sort of in the same position as you, op, but i'm reading THG now and I looooove it.

4,475 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
le r e v o i r e
Karutan Koremanu

If your problem rested with young people dying and being forced to kill each other, then don't read Hunger Games. However, Hunger Games is far less violent than BR, at least in my opinion. Hunger Games is more about survival and the hope and prices people will be willing to pay to survive, all with rebellion bubbling underneath. I daresay is has a deeper story than BR as well.

thisthisthis.
I was sort of in the same position as you, op, but i'm reading THG now and I looooove it.

Really? Okay, I shall give it a shot then! Once I pay my library fines I shall definitely search for it! ^^

5,250 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
read the hunger games or u WILL regret it...it is the BEST book in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have no idea what Battle Royale is but READ THE HUNGER GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magical Senshi

9,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
werewolvez
read the hunger games or u WILL regret it...it is the BEST book in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have no idea what Battle Royale is but READ THE HUNGER GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And then people like this come along and make the entire fanbase look bad.*sigh*

- Unless you've read every other book in 'the whole wide world' you can't say that.
- Do I love the books? Yes. But I also love Battle Royale.

5,250 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
Karutan Koremanu
werewolvez
And then people like this come along and make the entire fanbase look bad.*sigh*

- Unless you've read every other book in 'the whole wide world' you can't say that.

but it is the best book ever and ive read about 2 books each day sometimes even 4 ever since 1st grade so ive read a lot of books...im also really offended by u...the hunger games IS the best book in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!!!! i was going 2 read gone with the wind but my mom wont let me

Magical Senshi

9,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
werewolvez
Karutan Koremanu
werewolvez

but it is the best book ever and ive read about 2 books each day sometimes even 4 ever since 1st grade so ive read a lot of books...im also really offended by u...the hunger games IS the best book in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!!!! i was going 2 read gone with the wind but my mom wont let me
And all you've done is confirm my point.

5,250 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
Karutan Koremanu
werewolvez
Karutan Koremanu
werewolvez

how? emotion_donotwant talk2hand emotion_eyebrow emotion_donotwant

Magical Senshi

9,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
You can say it's the best book in the world, but that doesn't mean it's fact.

Shadowy Rogue

12,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
werewolvez
Karutan Koremanu
werewolvez
Karutan Koremanu
werewolvez

how? emotion_donotwant talk2hand emotion_eyebrow emotion_donotwant
The world is not beautiful

Honestly, I've got to second Karutan. Fans like you really put me off of books I haven't read and make me wish I wasn't part of the fandom of ones I have. It took me forever to pick up THG because all I saw were fans screaming about how awesome the books were and which team they were. It really reminded me of the Twilight craze. Also, THG may be your favorite book, but it is in no way "the best book in the whole wide world".

Therefore it is.

5,250 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
2 me it is and its just an opinion...im not one of those screaming people that u see and im not on team gale or peeta....i just love books and love when people read them...i feel like im in a different world when i read, in a world where nothing matters, in a world where its a happily ever after...ive always inspired people 2 read and if u dont read the hunger games fine...oh and also u dont know me, u cant just make accusations about other people it hurts there feelings.......dont even bother replying

Shadowy Rogue

12,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
werewolvez
2 me it is and its just an opinion...im not one of those screaming people that u see and im not on team gale or peeta....i just love books and love when people read them...i feel like im in a different world when i read, in a world where nothing matters, in a world where its a happily ever after...ive always inspired people 2 read and if u dont read the hunger games fine...oh and also u dont know me, u cant just make accusations about other people it hurts there feelings.......dont even bother replying

Just a tip then. You say you're not one of those screaming people, but you do the internet equivalent. Typically all caps and multiple exclamations is the internet equivalent of screaming at the top of your lungs. If you don't want to be lumped in with that crowd you might want to rethink their use. I might not know you, but I'm free to make assumptions from the way you type/behave, as most people online will, and that's how you're coming off even if you don't mean to.

Therefore it is.

Magical Senshi

9,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
Infinity Outlaw

Honestly, I've got to second Karutan. Fans like you really put me off of books I haven't read and make me wish I wasn't part of the fandom of ones I have. It took me forever to pick up THG because all I saw were fans screaming about how awesome the books were and which team they were. It really reminded me of the Twilight craze. Also, THG may be your favorite book, but it is in no way "the best book in the whole wide world".

Therefore it is.
Exactly. I avoided the Hunger Games for a while because of both the fanbase and the fact SMeyer was a fan.
I actually read the book before I encountered any of the fan base. I was handed the first book free when they were doing a promo and I couldn't stop telling everyone how fantastic it was. Then I went on tumblr and searched for related things to it and I was seriously put off by how twilightish the fanbase is.

Mind you, this hasn't stopped me loving the book and they seriously are worth the read. You get so absorbed into them. The third book isn't a masterpiece by any means but if you love the story then you're still gonna like it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff