Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Explorer

10,350 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Hive Mind 200
Well I didn't mind Tauriel. She's a tough fighter, and even she's young she shows more backbone in the movie than Legolas does most of the time.
But it's true that especially the scene after healing Kili disrupts the flow a bit.

6,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
That elvish woman isn't even the original Tolkein book The Hobbit so be glad!! xp

Wheezing Kitten

7,125 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Junior Trader 100

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
I think her character is strong in its own right and elves are supposed to be beautiful anyways, so I have no issues with her. I think her budding relationship with a certain other is really cute heart I like a bit of romance hehe.

Heart Consumer

You also have to keep in mind the era that the Hobbit takes place in: Medieval era or before. In medieval times, men went to war and women stayed home and cared for the children. Having female warriors was either extremely rare or extremely forbidden by law, culture, or both. If you look at several different cultures around the world, this has been the case for most of their existence. So, it is sexism, but it is sensibly accurate.

Unbelievable Garbage

yeah it's cos of sexism and bullshit. note token black characters in laketown scene.

Alien Shapeshifter

11,325 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Atticus Gatsby
The Hobbit is pretty great. But was anybody else a bit uncomfortable with the fact that there's only one named female character in the film (and none in the book, I think) and that she's written in a way that makes her main character trait 'being super beautiful'?

I know the film is based on a book that was written when there was no concern about women's representation in popular culture, so maybe that excuses the film? I don't know. It made me uncomfortable.

Otherwise, it's an excellent film, I think.

Actually the original Hobbit story was a sausage fest.

Gracious Prophet

7,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Well on one hand the cultures of most of the races in the hobbit/LoTR very much reflected the times in which the books were written: the basic gender roles idea (i.e., male elves generally are the ones that go into battle whereas females are the healers, etc etc) so it is just being true to the books. HOWEVER, I actually just got out of another thread where somebody was upset that they changed some aspects in the movie to be more politically correct (not about women though, it was something about dwarves), so I say if they can change one thing to be politically correct, why not another?
It didn't really make me uncomfortable though, I understand that they're just trying to stay true to the books, but the one thing that did kind of upset me is how Tauriel (and don't get me wrong, I love her as a character) is introduced, and she's this lovely strong female elf character, and of course from the second she's introduced her main focus is romance. It starts off with Legolas' unrequited love and then she's thrown into this love triangle with Kili. I really found it to be unnecessary, and I would have enjoyed the movie so much more without her romantic interests being mentioned at all

Gracious Prophet

7,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
clearemix
Well on one hand the cultures of most of the races in the hobbit/LoTR very much reflected the times in which the books were written: the basic gender roles idea (i.e., male elves generally are the ones that go into battle whereas females are the healers, etc etc) so it is just being true to the books. HOWEVER, I actually just got out of another thread where somebody was upset that they changed some aspects in the movie to be more politically correct (not about women though, it was something about dwarves), so I say if they can change one thing to be politically correct, why not another?
It didn't really make me uncomfortable though, I understand that they're just trying to stay true to the books, but the one thing that did kind of upset me is how Tauriel (and don't get me wrong, I love her as a character) is introduced, and she's this lovely strong female elf character, and of course from the second she's introduced her main focus is romance. It starts off with Legolas' unrequited love and then she's thrown into this love triangle with Kili. I really found it to be unnecessary, and I would have enjoyed the movie so much more without her romantic interests being mentioned at all

Anyways I apologize for that rant, it kind of went off topic but like the poster above me mentioned, there weren't really that many female characters in the book. It's just another "staying true to the books" thing
Lilla_Lee
Wait a moment? There was a female character in a movie? Didn't notice that.
Thorin and his warrior drarfes were so cool and hot that I didn't even care about the women lol

IS THIS A ******** JOKE

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Doesn't bother me at all.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash